Question

Honor Student
mrl325i
Message 1 of 27 (12,663 Views)

Officejet 4500 continuously goes offline

[ Edited ]

My OfficeJet4500  will suddenly go offline.  The only way I have been able to get it to print again is to unload the driver from the PC that is affected and install it again.  What a pain.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 2 of 27 (12,650 Views)

Re: Officejet 4500 continuously goes offline

How is it connected?  What operating system?  What security system are you using?

I am employed by HP
Honor Student
mrl325i
Message 3 of 27 (12,643 Views)

Thanks for the reply.  It is connected to a recent Linksys router.  The PCs running Win7 do not seem to lose connectivity with the printer but the Vista one does.  My 10+ year old laserjet never gives me a problem. Security is zonealarm but again, the only problem I have had has been with the vista box.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 4 of 27 (12,638 Views)

So if you have PC's that do not lose connectivity, the issue is not with the printer or your router.  I would suspect Zonealarm.

Download and run this utility on the Vista machine.  

I am employed by HP
cbn Student
Student
cbn
Message 5 of 27 (12,435 Views)

Officejet 4500 continuously goes offline

My Officejet 4500 all-in-one keeps going offline.  I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled several times. I spent 3 hours with HP on the phone.  They uninstalled & reinstalled and went into Norton and added the IP address of the printer as a trusted site.  It still goes offline everyday.  The only way that I can get it to print is to pull the plug from the back of my wireless router for a few seconds and the reconnect it.  Then the printer will come back online.  Also, when it is 'offline' and I run the troubleshooter, it says that the driver for the device is not installed.   Any help will be greatly appreciated.  I just purchased this printer in August.

Provost
PrintDoc
Message 6 of 27 (12,415 Views)

What operating system?  Tell me about your network - router brand/model, encryption type (WEP, WPA, etc) and ISP type (DSL, Cable, etc).

I am employed by HP
Student
kcam213
Message 7 of 27 (12,343 Views)

I am looking at this issue iwth interest.

I have the same problem.  The only way I can get it back "online' is to turn off and unplug printer then reconnect plug and restart printer.

I am running Windows 7. My router is netgear and I am using the wireless option.  The computers are connecting with the printer okay. The problem is the printer is offline.

When I use HP troubleshooting, it says the driver is not installed, and when I try to download driver (again... because it is ALREADY installed) I get an error message, "unable to install driver".

Sometimes the troubleshooting will detect that printer is offline but was unable to correct.  Then when *I* unplug and replug printer... the documents print... no driver problems whatsoever.

Very frustrating since I am running computers on 3 different floors, but I still have to physically go to printer to in essence 'turn it on'.

:womanmad:

Honor Student
3Series
Message 8 of 27 (12,264 Views)

I have the same issue.  I'm running Win 7, 64 bit.  THe printer is wirelessly connected to a Linkysys E2000. 

The printer says it is connnected to the network.  However, the computer is saying the printer is offline/disconnected. 

I'm also having issues with the printer going into power save mode and it won't come out of power save mode unless I unplug the machine and plug it back in. 

Honor Student
Franki
Message 9 of 27 (12,094 Views)

Ditto for me. 

I have the same problem, as soon as the printer goes into "sleep", it goes offline.  Unplugging the power and plugging it back in brings the printer back online.

It does not seem to be my machine, as a document I wanted to print stays in the printer cue, and prints immediately after plugging the printer back in. 

(Windows 7, 64bit)

Student
Abarkell
Message 10 of 27 (11,919 Views)

Wow ... on going for 4 months with no solutions! I just bought this printer Monday the 31st and it started used it very little. It went off line for the first time yesterday and now I can't get it to print anything with out restarting my PC and the printer. Maybe I will take it back and go with a Brother. I hear they are MUCH better printers .... any thoughts????

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation