Question
Officejet 4500 continuously goes offline
Replies (26)

Top Student
MikeSt
Message 11 of 27 (6,800 Views)

Re: Officejet 4500 continuously goes offline

Same deal here.  4500 disappears until I power cycle my router (Linksys E2000).  Extremely annoying.  Dell XPS 17 laptop, Win 7 64, 8GB RAM, two computer science degrees, lots of frustration.

Hooking the printer up via USB and rerunning the install also allows me to re-establish the wireless connection (though the router power cycle is much easier, obviously -- just figureed I'd mention it for the HP techs hard at work on solving this problem).

Top Student
MikeSt
Message 12 of 27 (6,795 Views)

Ah.  I may have found the solution on another thread: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-networking-and-wireless/SOLUTION-to-your-HP-printer-going-offli...

Testing it now, but wanted to post it first.  If it works, I may forget to come back here.

My theory is that it's a combination of the 4500's power save feature and my router dropping the lease for the connection when power save has been on a while.  [I sure wouldn't bet my life on it -- just a theory.]

Anyway, by assigning an IP address outside of my router's DHCP range, I remove DHCP from the equation.   The basic idea of Medic1's solution:

--Using the printer's settings panel, change the IP address setting to manual (i.e. don't use DHCP to pick one).

--Go into your router and check the DHCP range.  On my Linksys E2000, the default range ends at 192.168.1.149.  So, I picked 192.168.1.155 -- a random # larger than 149 and less than 256.

--Power cycle your router.

--Remove the 4500 from your printers and devices list.

--Re-add the 4500 -- it should be auto-detected on .155 (or whatever address you selected above).

Top Student
MikeSt
Message 13 of 27 (6,771 Views)

Just checking back in to tell everyone: the above simple solution worked perfectly for me.  I haven't had any "printer disappearing" issues since I moved the printer's wireless IP address out of my router's DHCP range. 

HP employees: what can you do to make sure your overseas phone and e-mail support teams get this info? 

Honor Student
cardude
Message 14 of 27 (4,791 Views)

My new office jet does the same thing.  The solution I found was to go to devices and printers (Windows 7-64 bit) and then double click on the printer and then click on printer in the upper left and click on printer off line(which is already checked ).  This will put the printer back on line.  If you have pages in the que they will start printing right away.  If you haven't hit print yet that will take care of the problem until the next time.  A real pain in the rear.  Also, every time I try to scan something, it tells me the printer is disconnected.  Have to restart the computer to fix it.  Anyone have a better solution?  About ready to return to Sam's Club and ask them to have HP put it where the sun doesn't shine.

Top Student
MikeSt
Message 15 of 27 (4,789 Views)

cardude, did you try my fix?

Honor Student
cardude
Message 16 of 27 (4,782 Views)

No I haven't Mike.  Not being that familiar with computers and making changes in them I am not sure I am comfortable trying it.  There was nothing in the directions or on the box or in the advertising that suggests the printer has special needs.  If HP can't adjust the software so their printer works, and it seems they are not interested or able to do so, then I am not interested in this printer.  I have been using HP printers and computers for a long time and have never had any problems.  That is one of the reasons I buy them.  This does not seem to be a new complaint and they don't appear to have addressed the situation or seen to care. 

Top Student
MikeSt
Message 17 of 27 (4,781 Views)

You have been extraordinarily lucky, cardude.  Sadly, I am always struggling w/ HP printer issues (the only HP printer I have ever had that worked perfectly was a LaserJet IIP Plus, 1989)...

I completely agree w/ everything you wrote.

Well, if you wind up keeping the printer and have any problems w/ my directions, give me a shout.

Honor Student
DJL_SR
Message 18 of 27 (4,296 Views)

I have had my Printer for a couple of months. Purchased in Feb this year.

I did not have any problems in the set up , installing the drivers off the CD. After a week or so the printer went into safe mode and I could no longer print. I followed the suggestion I saw on your web site and it worked again. This problem occurred several times so I just turned the printer off. The printer worked for about a week. 

The last problem occurred when the printer remained offline and the computer says its turned off when it is not. 

I've spent hours on trying all the posted solutions , I've seen on your site, plus I've tried uninstalling the H-P software and reinstalling several times. The printer is shown on my devoices but shows its offline and turned off. I cannot turn it online because the ck box is greyed out. 

I use a Toshiba P755--S5390 computer labtop. I chose the H-P Printer after trying another brand I return to H-P because of the trouble free H-P 1600 I've had for several years. I am at a loss of what to do because I've spent too many hours which are wasted for a product which is not very robust in design. The trouble shooter on the computer won't fix the Problem and this printer does not have feature like my other 1600 series.

Please respond

I am without a printer and I can't seem to get adequate help from H-P.

Thank You

David L  

Student
Brazuka
Message 19 of 27 (3,938 Views)

Hy guys,

I've just got this problem over here, although the printer is conected thru an usb conection.

We have tried to set a print test page, as we had set it as a default printer, but the equipment have just set itself offline, as described above.

Have HP set any sollution for this?

Regards,

ATP

Student
Julesinrough
Message 20 of 27 (3,676 Views)

These were my thoughts exactly. I have not been able to use my printer for close to 7 or 8 months now; just taking up space on my desk, I do not admit to being a guru, and this printer is supposed to be so great. I haven't been convinced yet. Somebody help.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation