Question

Top Student
Crankturner
Message 71 of 77 (180 Views)

Re: Officejet 6500 E709N Continously goes offline!!!!

Hi Bill, 

Unfortunately your problem sounds more like a hardware issue with the printer itself. If it's powering down and not able to turn back on again, it may be a power related issue. Try the obvious first, use a different power outlet and see if the issue persists. Next, if you're like me and enjoy getting to the bottom of things..get a new power adapter for the printer. But before you do anything, do a full reset to defaults on the printer. Here are the instructions:

Follow these steps to perform a power reset and to try faxing again.

Step one: Reset the All-in-One

1. Remove all the paper loaded in the main input tray.
  2. Press the Power button to turn off the product.
  3. Disconnect the USB cable from the back of the product.
  4. Disconnect the power cord from the product.
  5. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.
  6. Wait at least 60 seconds .
  7. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.
  8. Reconnect the power cord to the back of the product.
  9. Press the Power button to turn on the product.
  10. Reconnect the USB cable to the back of the product.

I believe the rest of the users on this thread are only experiencing a disconnect from the network, not a total power freeze like yours is doing. If it doesn't wake up after you hit the power button, that's another problem. When these go into power save/sleep mode, the power button should blink every 5-10 seconds at all times, until it wakes up for a print job that was sent to it, or when you press a button on it to wake it up. Keep me posted on how the troubleshooting goes.
Student
cmickels
Message 72 of 77 (150 Views)

Re: Officejet 6500 E709N Continuously goes offline!!!!

This worked for me as well!  Thanks for the idea!

Student
Boomer22
Message 73 of 77 (119 Views)

My printer is offline again. This time restarting my computer and turning the printer off and on is not working.

HELP

Honor Student
NetworkAnalyst
Message 74 of 77 (107 Views)

These printers have a serious problem with loosing wireless connectivity with your router when used in a wireless mode.  HP has simply ignored the problem and complaints.  I did everything imaginable to try to resolve the issue.  Static IP, firmware upgrades yada yada yada and nothing fixes it.  It occurs with any kind of wireless router and the only consistent fix I have found is to reboot the router to restablish the connection.  When it happens you can ping the printers IP address and it simply doesnt respond even though the IP address is reserved of the router and the IP address actually appears on the printer on the control panel.  For some reason the printer simply will not talk to the router again until the connection is broken and restablished by rebooting the router.  Rebooting the printer works sometimes but not always.  Again take note that this occurs on multiple brands of routers (I've tried 3) and the symptoms are very consistent. 

Honor Student
GaryK1419
Message 75 of 77 (103 Views)

Work around:

(A) put your document into the scanner open Microsoft office word document, go to the insert tab and choose your source file as your HP Scanner to put into your document. This will automatically reconnect your computer to your HP Scanner no reboot required.

(B) sometimes just shutting down the printer works HOWEVER you most likely have done this numerous times before!

Honor Student
Billd11
Message 76 of 77 (101 Views)

Re: Officejet 6500 E709N Continously goes offline!!!!

Actually it appears like it did. I don't have a USB connection. I use it strickly wireless, so some of it didn't apply. The power light in sleep mode doesn't blink either. It stays solid green. Anyway so far so good.

RL1 Student
Student
RL1
Message 77 of 77 (77 Views)

We just switched from Century Link to Xfinity, I used the set up wizard to get it going but it doesn't seen to be hooked up. the status says printer is offline.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation