Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Hi,

Just thought I would post on this thread as well since I am having the same problem with my 6830.

b.

HP Recommended

Same.  There are 2 levels of high pitched noices.  1 when the printer goes into sleep mode, which sounds like a modem.  The other is a high pitched continuous buzz when the printer is OFF, but plugged in.

This is obviously mechanical having to do with the components selected to build this printer, won't be fixed with firmware or anything of that nature.  This should be a recall.

So here is the problem.  I have to shut the printer off completely and UNPLUG it, in order to get the sound to disappear.  This is a WIRELESS printer which is supposed to be convenient.  We now have to plug it in, turn it on, wait for boot up before we can print.  This is NOT convenient.

Secondarily, I signed up for Instant Ink, so since the computer is off-line, the service has no idea what my current ink status is, so it renders this service useless.

I don't want to toss the printer, since I just bought it about 5 mo ago, and I like the performance, but unless HP comes up with a fix, I am going to buy a different printer and cancel the ink service.  I am sure I am not alone here.

HP Recommended

We spoke with HP Support. Together we isolated the problem to the power supply. They had us unscrew the back of the printer near the power supply, pull it out, and read them the part number. They are sending us a replacement. Pretty straightforward.

HP Recommended

I tried to convince customer support in The Netherlands that the problem started after installing the latest software update. They kept on telling me that this could not be the issue and sent me a new power supply after they already sent me a new officejet before. 

I replaced the powersupply and from the moment the officjet went into sleep mode, exactly the same noise started immediately again.

HP, I hope you read this and solve the problem soon!!!!!

HP Recommended

Hi folks, can you please try the latest firmware (released 1st June) and let us know if that resolves it?

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Officejet-Pro-6830-e-All-in-One-Printer-series/53...

Thanks

Ciara

FW_OJ Pro 6830.jpg

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

This firmware is from March 20, 2015, same as the old firmware. Please provide the proper link.

HP Recommended

Hi @jwayt

It's not the driver, when you scroll down to the Firmware section you should see a link for an update from 1st June.....

Let me know if this works

Cheers, Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

Hi Ciara,

Thank you for your update. I believe it is much better now after the firmware update. When I put my ear near the printer, the noise is slightly there but I think this acceptable. The green light does not flash anymore. Later today when it it will be less busy here in the office, I will be able to give it a final check but for now I believe you HP guys did a wonderful job. Later today I will give my final conclusion here.  Thank you very much!!

HP Recommended

I agree with italianfox after downloading 6/1/2015 firmware. Noise is still there but not as loud. HP support is sending a new power supply, we will see if that works.

HP Recommended
Just got a new power supply sent from HP a few days ago. So far.....it seems to work....no noise! Hopefully it will continue to work properly.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.