Question

Top Student
fjfoss
Message 1 of 13 (823 Views)

Officejet 7310xi installation under Windows 7

Dell Studio 540, Pentium Dual Core E5400, 64bit running Windows 7 Home Premium.  Downloaded HP file AIO_CDB_Net_Full_Win_WW_130-141 supposedly to install compatible software for the printer to allow full feature operation with USB connection. Am running a Local wired/wireless network with a Cysco hub/router. Followed all instruction in detail including disabling Norton virus checking software prior to last (of about 12) attempt to get software to work.  While the files load apparently OK, the install program hangs on the configuration (last) section and eventually times out.  This problem seems to be similar to some others listed in this forum but not exact.  Only thing I haven't tried so far is installing the printer as a network printer. Anyone have suggestions?

Teacher
RandomRabbit
Message 2 of 13 (806 Views)

Re: Officejet 7310xi installation under Windows 7

During the configuration stage, try dragging the installation window to the right or left to see if there is an error message suppressed. Should be able to select OK on this message and the installation will proceed.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Top Student
fjfoss
Message 3 of 13 (832 Views)

Thank you for the response.  There were no error messages behind the install window and the configuration phase did not complete as before.  There was a popup showing the status of the software which indicated that all software was loaded.  I attempted to start the solution center but that resulted in the same message that I had before which essentially told me to either connect the USB cable or go to the disc to install the network software.  I am at a total loss as to how to proceed at this point. If you have any other ideas I would greatly welcome them.

Teacher
RandomRabbit
Message 4 of 13 (825 Views)

[ Edited ]

With previous installation failures there might be files conficting with the installation. We can try to remove these files by running the Uninstall_L3 batch file.

Disconnect the USB cable from your computer.

Open the location where the downloaded file was extracted.

This is usually found by typing %temp% in the Search programs and files option from the start menu.

Open the most recent(date/time) folder that starts with 7z.

Then open the following folder that should have Officejet 7310 series or similar name.

Open util, then open ccc, and double click on the Uninstall_L3 batch file. Note: Do not run the Uninstall_L4

This L3 file will remove the software and any components installed.

Run the setup.exe from the same 7z folder, connecting the USB cable when prompted.

Hopefully the setup will complete and you can re-enable Norton. If there are any error messages please write them down and post it for further troubleshooting.

Top Student
fjfoss
Message 5 of 13 (803 Views)

Unfortunately, after completing all the steps you suggested, I still had the same result. The installation times out on the product configuration step.  The only error message I get is when I attempt to open the solution center. It says: "HP Solution Center cannot run because your device installation is not complete. Please plug in the USB cable or re-run the setup program from the installation CD for a network installation.  If this does not complete the installation or you do not have the CD, access HP help files by checking the start menu."  The HP printer list in Windows does not list the 7310xi All-in-one, only the 7300 series.  I do have the original CD that came with the printer but the Windows printer widget can't find the driver file it wants on it, probably because the latest OS listed on the disc is XP as the printer is 2004 vintage. Thanks again for the help. I know there has got to be a way to get this thing to work but I don't have sufficient expertise to sort out the myriad possibilities.

Teacher
RandomRabbit
Message 6 of 13 (788 Views)

The XP software CD will definitely not run properly on 7. Is this a clean install of Windows 7, rather than an upgrade from Vista?

Top Student
fjfoss
Message 7 of 13 (785 Views)

The Windows install came with the Dell studio.  I transferred the data and program software from my old Dell using Laplink so I didn't install the printer directly onto the new one.  I only really got into this problem when I discovered that all the features of the 7310xi wouldn't work on the new Dell as they had on the old one.  Thanks.

Teacher
RandomRabbit
Message 8 of 13 (780 Views)

So Laplink was used from your XP system to Windows 7? I have no experience with Laplink, but did it attempt to transfer your XP installation of the printer to Windows 7?

Top Student
fjfoss
Message 9 of 13 (770 Views)

That's correct.  The software was transferred in the process. I probably could have opted out of that transfer but didn't realize that Windows 7 wasn't going to be backward compatible for it.  The transfer put the HP director on the new Dell but when I attempted to use the printer for OCR scanning it wouldn't work.  That's what led to the attempt to upgrade the software which obviously also didn't work.

Teacher
RandomRabbit
Message 10 of 13 (763 Views)

Is there any way you can redo the Laplink (with a clean Install of Windows 7) without the Officejet 7310xi and software transfer? As well as checking to see if other programs/applications are working.

The best solution would likely be to perform a clean install of windows 7 (or system restore to a point before Laplink was ran) and run the install with the latest software.

If those options are not desirable, you could try to run Add a device from the Devices and printers folder and select the Officejet 7300 series. This is a basic driver but should work with Windows Fax and Scan.

The biggest concern I have is that Laplink forced entries into the registry for the XP installation, and I would not know which entries (or what they are named)  to axe out of the registry to fix the installation.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation