Question

Tutor
jbear12
Message 1 of 32 (2,896 Views)
Accepted Solution

Officejet 8600 second drawer

Checking to see if HP has created a fix for the Officjet 8600 e-all in one printer for drawer 2. The 2nd drawer was part of the purchase, but it the printer doesn't recognize it as part of the printer. HP said it was a known issue and they were working on a solution for this and that was over 2 weeks ago. The printer out of the box never recognized drawer 2. Anyone know if it is a resolved yet? Is there a d/l patch?

Master's Graduate
Hubbs
Message 2 of 32 (2,874 Views)

Re: Officejet 8600 second drawer

Hi jbear12,

Try the following:

1. Power down the printer

2. Uninstall Tray 2 (remove the tray from the printer)

3. Power up the printer.

4. Power down the printer

5. Re-install Tray 2 (Place the printer back on the tray)

6. Power on the printer

7. Check to see if the tray is now recognized

Hope this helps :smileyhappy:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am an HP Employee
Click the KUDOS Star to say "Thanks"

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Tutor
jbear12
Message 3 of 32 (2,869 Views)

You da bomb diggity! They need you running the company LOL! Thanks for your help and whoever else from corporate reads this -- this person needs a PROMOTION! I spent about 2.5 hours on tech support only to find out that it was a "known issue" w/no work around at the time of purchase (2 weeks ago). I post this today and within less than 30 minutes, I have a free, easy resolution!

iab Top Student
Top Student
iab
Message 4 of 32 (2,855 Views)

Thank you thank you!!  You solved part of my problem that hours and hours talking to HP support did not solve.  Now I can use the second tray if I am printing from my computer, but if I try to use the second tray when I am copying from the screen, I get the following message:  The selected paper size cannot be used with tray 2.  Job cancelled.

This is an improvement, before I tried your "fix" the copier would not even admit there was a tray 2!!

Also, Hp's solution to my problem was to send an entire new 8600 with the promise that this one would work.  There were no instructions on how to make this go smoothly.  Do I need to uninstall everything I did before?  I just plugged the new one in and used the CD that came with the old one.  Help.  I really don't know what to do next.

Tutor
jbear12
Message 5 of 32 (2,853 Views)

After the brilliant fix of being able to see & use my bottom drawer, I too had the same problem. Under the copy function are the ability to make settings. Set the drawer to 2. But I too had the issue w/the paper size is incorrect for this drawer. So, in the copy settings, select Paper Size and then select 8.5x11. By doing so, the "automatic" setting should show as deselected. Then you copy from the bottom drawer, FYI.

iab Top Student
Top Student
iab
Message 6 of 32 (2,847 Views)

Well that works IF I have regular paper in the bottom drawer, but I bought this thing so I could put envelopes in the bottom drawer and regular paper in the top.  "envelope" is not even a paper choice. 

Although I could get regular paper to print from the bottom drawer from my computer, I can not get envelopes to print from that bottom drawer.... and what does print out leaves off the first half inch of my return address...on the wrong paper.

This thing is going back tomorrow.  no more hp for me.  thanks for trying.   ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

Tutor
jbear12
Message 7 of 32 (2,845 Views)

Bottom drawer is for regular paper and was intended to be your "main" printing 8.5 x 11 drawer. Your top drawer is to be used for the envelopes, printing odd paper sizes, 4x6 prints, etc.

Master's Graduate
Hubbs
Message 8 of 32 (2,844 Views)

Correct, tray 2 is for plain paper only (sizes listed below).

The following configurations are the two I have seen most often:

User a) Tray 1 has letter, Tray 2 has legal

User b) Tray 2 has letter, Tray 1 has letter or [insert specialty media here]

So with that mindset, you could reverse you setup to where Tray 2 has Letter, and tray one has envlopes (up to 30 loaded at one time as per the specifications doc: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02858465&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en...

According to this same specifications document, it lists the supported sizes for Tray 2 (Letter, Legal, and A4) - see image (excerpt) below:

Paper.JPG

Hope this helps :smileyhappy:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am an HP Employee
Click the KUDOS Star to say "Thanks"

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Tutor
jbear12
Message 9 of 32 (2,839 Views)

With regard to the printer, it's one of the better ones on the market, efficient, quiet, and doesn't take as long to set the printer heads. I'm not sure what your needs for the printer are, but I'd reconsider before sending it back. Believe me, I spent about 10 hours in total w/2 other HP 8500 Officejet printers and now the 8600. Even though the 2nd drawer was not recognized and tech support did not have a fix AND I spent about 2 hours on the 8600, I'm very please overall with it.

If you need a duplexer, an ADF, and something w/a little speed, plus color - this meets the mark. Be careful w/some of the other brands on the market as they are inferior. AND, be wary of getting a low end laser printer, because they'll cost you HIGH end on the backside of your purchase (toner, drums, etc.etc.)

Hope you haven't boxed it up yet and you read my reply and the HP employee reply. It's worth trying to make it work!

Jim

Tutor
bojangles-
Message 10 of 32 (2,803 Views)

this fix dont work

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation