Question

Honor Student
Andrew_T
Message 1 of 8 (3,387 Views)

Officejet Pro 1170c

Hi - Just moved from XP to Windows 7 and tried connecting my HP printer/scanner (Officejet Pro 1170c). Unfortunately there's no driver available for this printer in Windows 7. Please can you advise on how to get it working with Windows 7. It's a great printer/scanner and is working fine so it would be a shame not to be able to get it working with Windows 7. Thanks.
Tutor
msameerk
Message 2 of 8 (3,373 Views)

Re: Officejet Pro 1170c

Hi,

You can try connecting the product directly to the computer with the usb cable and wait for the device detection to happen.If you get a message that Your devices are ready to use, you can start using the product.

Though I work for HP, My posts express MY opinion, and not those of HP.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 3 of 8 (3,364 Views)

Andrew_T wrote:
Hi - Just moved from XP to Windows 7 and tried connecting my HP printer/scanner (Officejet Pro 1170c). Unfortunately there's no driver available for this printer in Windows 7. Please can you advise on how to get it working with Windows 7. It's a great printer/scanner and is working fine so it would be a shame not to be able to get it working with Windows 7. Thanks.

For printing you could use the Deskjet 870 driver available through Windows Update.  I do not know of a direct scanning solution.  If your hardware supports it you might find the Windows 7 XP mode useful.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
Andrew_T
Message 4 of 8 (3,360 Views)

Many thanks for the suggestions - PC is at home so will try later.

Honor Student
Zople
Message 5 of 8 (3,211 Views)

[ Edited ]

Andrew_T: Did you find a solution for connecting Officet 1170c to Windows7?

BobH suggested of using "DeskJet 870" driver in Win7 to print out to Officejet 1170c printer. I suppose that means that I should manually install DeskJet 870 driver into Win7, but then what? How do I connect that driver to attached Officet 1170c printer port? Or does it work automagically that DeskJet 870 driver thinks that it talks to 870 printer?

Use of WinXP mode in Windows7 might be one way to go, but unfortunately home version of Win7 doesn't have XPMode support :-(

When I connect the printer to Win7 (parallel-to-usb adapter), it is detected and Win7 tries to find a printer driver for it from WindowsUpdate, but eventually it just says "cannot find a driver for that printer". I understand that,  but I'm ready to do whatever manual installation required. But, I'm not sure how to proceed with that "use of DeskJet 870 driver tip". 

I really would not want to throw away perfectly functional printer (I need just printer functionality, no need for scanner software) just because Win7 OS version. Even Linux can print to that OfficeJet 1170c printer, so why it should be any harder for Win7? Beats me...

Is OfficeJet 1170c compatible with PCL or Postscript languages? Are there any general purposes PCL or PS printer drivers for HP printers in Windows platform? I suppose Linux prints to 1170c through PCL or PS language.

Thanks for any help.

Honor Student
Zople
Message 6 of 8 (3,178 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi again,

I followup my own post above. I managed to solve the "Officejet 1170c and Windows 7" printing problem by following the route of installing "DeskJet 870c" driver. Printing works, but naturally this driver doesn't know how to use scanner but I dont need that for now.

In case someone else is tackling with the same problem, this is how I did it:

- First of all OfficeJet 1170c has parallel port connection only, but that connection is hard to find in new computers. So I purchased "parallel-to-usb" adapter cable to connect the print to recent "usb only" computer.

- Plug in the usb-parallel printer cable and Win7 detected the cable and printer type automatically. After a while it complained that no driver was found for that printer.

- Open "Settings | Printers and Faxes" in Win7 and press "Add printer" button

- Select "local printer attached to this computer" AND UNCHECK "automatically detect plug-and-play" printer option

- Selected "USB00X virtual port" option in "Use the Following Port" dropdown list (this represents the usb-parallel adapter usb port. Your port name probably varies slighty)

- In the next screen selected "HP" from manufactures list and "HP DeskJet 870c" from printer driver list

- Next and OK buttons to accept all settings and there it goes.

After this Win7 was able to print to "obsolete if you ask HP" 1170c printer with full colors. Great, no need to go out and buy a new printer. Of course DeskJet driver don't know how to use scanner, but shouldn't be too hard for HP to release such Officejet 1170c driver if they really wanted to.

I assume this same technique works for other printers also where the "full featured" driver is not yet available. OfficeJet 11XXX probably has the same printer engine as "DeskJet 8XXX" little brother.

Cheers.

Student
DEllis
Message 7 of 8 (1,008 Views)

For printing, the 870C driver will produce poor quality dithering of color ... I found that the driver for the HP Officejet R45 (I believe this was the manufactured 1 year earlier than the 1170C / 1175C lines) produced much better quality.  The HP 895cxi drivers were also decent, but the colors seemed a little "off".

For scanning?  I tried and tried, but finally just threw in the towel and spent $70 on a new flatbed scanner ... which, by the way was much faster and came bundled with some OCI software that I needed.

Student
facallanjr
Message 8 of 8 (271 Views)

Bob

I'm trying to connect my new Windows 7 Professional to my old OfficeJet Pro 1170cse all-in-one printer.  I've tried to download the HP Deskjet 870 and HP Officejet R45 drivers from the HP Website but it states 'Install the Driver Using Windows Update with a USB Connection (Downloadable Driver Not Available).  How can I download the driver, find it using Windows Update, or find on the pre-installed drivers on my hard-disk?

Thanks

Frank

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation