Question

Top Student
ianspain2
Message 1 of 9 (22,339 Views)
Accepted Solution

Officejet Pro 8500 909a-. not resetting ink level

Hi, I have the  an officejet pro 8500 and I have a problem which I hope has a simple solution! I've put in a new high capacity 940XL black cartridge anhd the LCD display on the printer and the solution centre monitor is still showing an explaination mark ( ! ). This indicates that the ink is near finishing. In the HP solution centre it also shows that the ink level is very low. I can only assume that the printer still thinks it has the old cartridge. Is there any way it can be reset so the printer recognises that it has a full cartridge?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ian

Provost
pcwizard
Message 2 of 9 (22,316 Views)

Re: Officejet Pro 8500 909a-. not resetting ink level

Hi Ian,

Couple questions for you!

Is this cartridge new out of the box?

Have you had this cartridge installed into any other printer prior to installing into this current unit?

Did the alignment page print after you installed this cartridge?

Follow the below steps to align the printer cartridges:

1. Setup wrench

2. Scroll down to Tools

3. Press Align printer

If aligning the print cartridges still does not fix this issue please follow the steps in the link below to complete a Partial Reset on the printer.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01631212&tmp_track_link=ot_recdoc/c01615954/en_...

Let me know if this resolves the issue you are seeing.

Though I work for HP, My posts express MY opinion, and not those of HP.

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Top Student
ianspain2
Message 3 of 9 (22,304 Views)

Thanks for the reply!

The Ink cartriidge was brand new out of the box. There's no way it could have been used because it was sealed in the foil packet.

I tried the things you suggested and neither has worked. The strange thing is that the printer still thinks the old cartridge is in the machine.

Any more ideas?

Thanks

Top Student
ianspain2
Message 4 of 9 (22,300 Views)

OK! In desperation I put in another cartridge and everything's working.

Obviously some kind of fault with the cartridge. I'll take it back to the shop when I can

Thanks anyway

Honor Student
ep-draper
Message 5 of 9 (17,483 Views)

My 8500 909g is doing the same thing, I have tried all the methods mentioned and it still will not do the allignment and allow printing.  It will now at least show a full black cartridge, but will not reset

Honor Student
PCBrown
Message 6 of 9 (17,414 Views)

Re: Officejet Pro 8500 A909a-. not resetting ink level

I was having the same problem with my black ink. My HP 8500 A909g wasn't displaying the ink level for the new black cartridge I installed. I tried to perform a partial reset to restore the HP All-in-One to proper operation as stated in the HP support details. I unpluged the printer, waited 30 seconds and held the "#" & the "3" and plugged the printer back in. That did not reset my ink level, but it did make everything on my display unreadable. Also when I run a test, the printing is in a foreign language. Chinese I think.

How do I get my messages in the display back to the correct working order?  When I push the wrench button, the only thing I can read is the number's 1 through 8. The rest is garbled.

I sure could use some help.  Pete

Student
homeedmissy
Message 7 of 9 (12,782 Views)

Here's a tip that works for me for now.  I have two extra magenta ink cartridges but no yellow and I desperately need to print. I took the tip off of the yellow and put it on the new magenta cartridge and slide it into the yellow spot.  Works like a charm! I could print!

Honor Student
jasonjune
Message 8 of 9 (9,944 Views)

Student
jdb091463
Message 9 of 9 (3,948 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello,

my name is JD, I had the exact same problem but rest assureed you have one of the best printers I have ever used in my life time, for the price. I have had much much more expensive ones and they were crap compared to this 8500 HP pro. Anyway, your print heads are dirty. The usual cleaning of them by wasting ink and blowing it through the nozzles does not help at this point. The ink is dried. Use rubbing alcohol on cotten Q-Tips and slowly clean off each head. also make sure you dont leave any cotten pieces on the nozzles. It wont kill it but it can leave some trails in the printing jobs you create until it washes away or comes off somehow...so dont use a lot of elbow power, let the alcohol cut through it and do its job. you can use any 80 proof liquor too, but you will get too drunk and take the chance of breaking a great printer. I have had mine since they came out, the original one still!!, and its going strong. people still ask me what kind of printer I have. I thought that was really cool too! any way like i said it just needs a good cleaning and be careful not to damage the circuit board. another tip and trick I thought of years ago was to buy another one on Ebay, working, not...not working. take it apart which is really easy and keep the circuit board as a back up. Most idiots throw away the whole printer when it is just some plastic pieces that are broken or worn inside the printer. Sometimes its a loose belt too, so save the belt as well and I promise you you will have what will appear as a new printer. I'll pay you back if it doesnt work, and I say that cause you sound like an honest educated man with ethics. let me know how it all fairs. Thanks,

Jay {personal info removed}

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation