Question

Honor Student
vrnorth
Message 1 of 36 (21,953 Views)

Officejet Pro 8500 paper jam error

Not happy with this HP Officejet Pro 8500. No paper is jam and all rollers are clean. Just printing a job and then stopped with a paperjam error. Did everything HP listed and chat and more. Told machine is bad and expired 31 days ago. A machine that has a manufactured date on May 09 and bought new 11 months ago is expired. HP answer is to buy a new one???

Honor Student
drrickyprice
Message 2 of 36 (21,923 Views)

Re: Officejet Pro 8500 paper jam error

I had the same problem you days out of warranty!  HP told me my printer was defective and tried to sell me a new one.

did.  My HP8500 worked fine for a year.  Then within a week it wouldn't scan and I got the paper jam error.  And I was nine dats out of warranty!

What HP is doing is to design the product life equal to the warranty period.  Product life is the amount of time the machine is designed to last.  With a short product life, HP can sell more printers and make more money.  It's all about the bottom line-not the customer

When I pay $400 for a printer, I expect it to last longer than a year.  Screw HP.  I am done with them.  I will go out and buy somebody else's printer.

Intern
KnuckleHead
Message 3 of 36 (21,844 Views)

I had several paper jams on my new HP 8500 Premier printer.

I swtiched to a diffrent paper manufacturer and the jams stopped.  Never had one since.

Tutor
styloid
Message 4 of 36 (21,654 Views)

This is a problem with a cog on the paper feed drive shaft. 

It drives the service station - the bit which cleans the print heads in the rhs of the printer.

One motor  is used to drive many functions on the printer - by a clever sort of gear selector - triggered by the carriage, the selector changes gear and engages different functions. 

The "gear stick" selecting "clean prinheads" or "feed paper" etc is on the left hand side of the printer paper feed shaft.

You can see it by lifting the cover and pearing inside.

The broken cog is within a removable black plastic casing - the casing is clearly seen and  has a little "finger" extending out of the left had side of the casing.

Once the cog breaks is makes a nasty noise ( sometimes) on  start up and the printer station does not function, as it cant engage the right "gear" to power it. 

You can inspect for a crack in the white cog - just visible through a slit in the black casing by turning the paper feed drive shaft.

Took me ages to find this. I was tempted to glue the cog to the shaft - but I doubt it will make a permanent fix so scraped the printer

My suggestion is you check the warranty on the warranty checker - and get hp to replace it.

I really do not think HP deliberately planned to create this issue - this is a complete overhaul of a old design and this is a design fault in the new design. I expect  and hope they know about it and have corrected the design. It may only affect a small batch of machines.  

As the model has been on the market for 12 months now - it will come clear soon. 

I like this printer and so if your like me you will not want to waste your investment in it. I suggest you do this if its out of warranty.

1) Remove the printheads (SLOWLY AND GENTLY) and cartridges,power supply, tray and duplexor unit (from the back)

2) Dump the rest - sad but currently no fix is available.

3) ebay for a replacement. In the UK. you will get a one for a few quid. And all the bits you have kept you are sure you will be able to make up for any that don't come with the ebayed product. 

good luck

Student
ggonzalez1974
Message 5 of 36 (21,581 Views)

Wow!  I bought my HP8500 on 9/18/09 and my printer is jamming without end today 9/23/10. 

Student
harkle8741
Message 6 of 36 (21,321 Views)

same here!  13 days out of warranty and jam error with no jam!  This is it for HP!  Ran through everything on their website with no help. I run a small business and can't afford to be buying a new  AIO every year.  Thought for $250 I'd get a few years. This printer wasn't even my workhorse, just fax (1/week), copy (1/week), color copy (maybe 5 pages a week).  All black and white done on laser.  Hadn't even changed all ink cartridges yet (but have bought them... more wasted money!) 

Honor Student
swwatters
Message 7 of 36 (21,100 Views)

Same phantom paper jam and no support yet, hp wants to sell me a new printer, an upgrade. Not a veryy realistic solution. i'll get back to this issue after spoeaking with them again. This printer hs hardly been used.

Intern
KnuckleHead
Message 8 of 36 (21,093 Views)

Where is it jamming?  The duplex, the scanner?

Try different papers?

Start from scratch again.  Reinsert everything from duplex to ink cartridges to power supply.  Check everything out.

Honor Student
swwatters
Message 9 of 36 (21,091 Views)

Spoke with three levels of HP support who have admittted to a firmware and/or sensor problem with this printer model. They still refuse, however, to replace the printer while claiming it cannot be repaired. Yes, it is a problem that they claim is unrepairable and they won't replace it. It was purchased 14 months ago and started this problem while under the 12-month warranty. I was able to clear the phantom paper jams at first, didn't realize it was a flawed model, and now it will not clear in spite of trying every possible cleaning, clearing and resetting task I could get from the HP website. I am awaiting a call from another level at HP. If they refuse to deal with the problem I'll have a lot more to say about this model and HP customr service.

Tutor
cnymike
Message 10 of 36 (20,899 Views)

[ Edited ]

I am also getting the PAPER JAM error as well as a Improper Shutdown error everytime the printer starts up.

This printer has been a pain since day one. The  "paper jam" (there is no paper jam, I've checked repeatedly) is the icing on the cake. Another message talks about a cracked or broken gear that may be the cause. While that may be the cause, this is a "Pro" printer for business and has proven its unreliability. I do not intend to buy another HP printer after this incident. Tech support would not even speak to me without wanting to charge me. Okidata was much more accommodating when I had to call them recently for my out of warranty printer. They have free support.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation