Question

lp Student
Student
lp
Message 1 of 47 (35,302 Views)
Accepted Solution

Officejet Pro 8500 "carriage jam"

Brand new all-in-oneDuring set up a carriage jam error comes up and says to open carriage door, remove jam (that I can't see or find) and then press okUsing 20lb paper weightThe carriage does not seem to be jammed as it goes back and forth from left to rightTried everything possibleAny suggestions?
Student
stepheno
Message 2 of 47 (35,132 Views)

Re: Officejet Pro 8500 "carriage jam" at set-up

I have the same problem. While setting up the printer, the screen says 'initialising'. The print head runs along the carriageway and bangs into something at the end of the run, then says 'Carriage Jam. Open the carriage door, clear the jam, then press OK'. I can't find the jam, but it does seem to hit something at the far end of the run. 
Tutor
alexbush
Message 3 of 47 (35,097 Views)

Re: Officejet Pro 8500 "carriage jam"

Hi lp.

Open up the top of the printer and make sure that the arm that holds in the ink cartridges is snapped down.

Honor Student
sjglazier
Message 4 of 47 (34,947 Views)

This is the answer!  It happened to me.  I did this and it toke care of it!
Top Student
GeorgeInTN
Message 5 of 47 (34,576 Views)

I have that same problem but that cartage lever is all the way down and the little triangles line up as they should when it is in the correct position.

There does not seem to be a paper jam at all.

Sometimes it will boot up with no error I try to copy something I laid on the glass, it goes into a diagnostic mode and eventually crashes and gives a mesage to turn it off and then back on.

????  

George

Top Student
GeorgeInTN
Message 6 of 47 (34,568 Views)

Update:

It seemed to be working for a while, but the print head alignment failed. I later looked at 
a color copy of a check I did and saw there was no black in the print. So I attempted to 
copy a color document in B & W and got a blank page. 

Now is back in what seems to be an endless loop of diagnosis and print head cleaning.  

The scanner worked great for a while when it seemed to work. The paper jam seems to be gone
just the endless nothing but diagnosis and cleaning the print head. I should be out of  ink 
soon and never printed anything use full.

George
Student
TheDene
Message 7 of 47 (32,601 Views)

Excellent advice!  Thanks!

Student
hhervet
Message 8 of 47 (32,586 Views)

Re: Officiate Pro 8500 "carriage jam"

I have checked the carriage jam 20 times and I can not see a carriage jam., Did what has been suggested but still shows "carriage jam"  Any other suggestions.

Honor Student
TaxChik
Message 9 of 47 (31,506 Views)

Re: Officiate Pro 8500 "carriage jam"

I have had a carriage jam problem on 3 machines now in the 5 months I have owned an HP 8500.  HP tech support could not fix, so sent me  refurbished replacements twice.  With the 4th, I was offered a new machine.  I said "no thank you ; send my money back."  I believe this model is a lemon.

Top Student
melindaflynn
Message 10 of 47 (28,362 Views)

I know all these post are old, but I recently had the same problem!! In case there is anyone new out there looking for help, try this!!!!

The screen kept saying carriage paper jam, there was clearly no paper jammed anywhere but the carriage was stuck to the far right. Here's how my husband, brilliant engineer he is, fixed it:

1) open the carriage cover (yes, that was another issue, but just keep pressing down on those lines and pulling towards you, eventually it will come off! At one point he said "If I break it, then that was the end of this printer anyway" so he gave it his all and finally it came off).

2) manually push the carriage all the way to the left side of printer...it may not be easy at first, you have to push/pull it to get it unstuck initially

3) the problem was this, there was a small black piece (SEE BELOW PHOTO) preventing the carriage from moving back to the left, so my husband just removed it (again with the comment "If I break it, then that was the end of this printer anyway") and now the printer works again fine, even without that piece.

4) hope this helps you out!!

HP Office Jet 4500 Printer Piece Removed.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation