Question
Officejet Pro 8500 "carriage jam"
Replies (46)

Honor Student
cwhitehouse
Message 21 of 47 (5,537 Views)

Re: Officejet Pro 8500 "carriage jam"

Have second 8500 from HP, same issue over and over.  I will never buy an HP Printer again, sticking with Dell.

Honor Student
stelmomurray
Message 22 of 47 (5,400 Views)

Thanks!  It woked!

Student
jammed8500
Message 23 of 47 (5,354 Views)

Same issue, carraige jam and "use the on/off switch to power off" which I was already doing.  My repair:  Pull the plastic hp box off the back-the one with the 2 white tabs.  Unscrew the 4 little screws with a T10 star drive bit.  Pry the left side up first-the side that the power cord plugs into.  Next pry and wiggle the cover to the left-(towards the power plug) and it should snap off.  Once it is off, you can see why it was resistant-a few extra fins and hooked tabs to make it difficult.  Remove paper wad with long wooden kitchen spoon.  Reassembly was not working-but the black plastic fins that were in the way had little scratches where they were rubbing, so I shaved them off with a sharp xacto knife, and cut off one hooked tab and PRESTO it snapped back in place. Reinstall the 4 screws and cross your fingers. 

Student
rb51
Message 24 of 47 (5,345 Views)

Carriage Jam problem. I have tried everything posted to date. Please assist.

Honor Student
technophobic
Message 25 of 47 (5,340 Views)

Thank you SOOOOOOOO much for your post on this carriage jam problem.  I am writing my thesis, and desperately need to have a working printer.  Mine was printing fine, and all of a sudden flashed me the carriage jam message.  There was no paper jam, by the way.   Last night I spent 2 hours trying to fix the problem, but was afraid to pull too hard on the carriage cover (I'm not sure if that is what it's called -- it looks like a black plastic trap door on the right side when you lift the lid of the printer) to get better access to the place where the obstacle seemed to be.  I took your advice and kept pressing down on the lines on the carriage cover door and pulling it toward me and it finally worked! 

That gave me better access to the right side of the printer.  I manually moved the carriage as far as it would go to the right and to the left and back, and it would keep getting hung up on the right side.  The blue flap to the printer heads was all the way down, so that wasn't the problem.  I had tried every troubleshooting step on the HP carriage jam page on their website, including cleaning the contacts on the printheads, and kept getting the carriage jam message.   I was about to follow their final unhelpful suggestion to get the printer serviced, but then I found this forum.   The help page on the HP website unfortunately seems to show two different models of the 8500 printers in their diagrams, which makes it very confusing.

Anyway, being able to open the trap door gave me better access to move the carriage ALL the way to the right, where the problem was.  By the way, the power was off during all of the steps where I had to actually reach inside the printer!  Anyway, the issue seemed to be similar to when a sliding door falls off its runner and you have to kind of lift it back onto the track to get it to glide smoothly again.  I lifted the carriage up and over something that had been blocking it (probably just fell off its track), and  THAT WORKED!!!   When I plugged the power cord back into the printer, I heard the humming sounds that meant my printer was happy again.  Just printed out a self test  sheet -- success!

Thank you all for taking the time to post your problems and solutions.  You saved me from hours of wasted time and money.  I almost went out and bought a new printer.  I hope this info helps somebody else.

Student
Kcanoe
Message 26 of 47 (5,334 Views)

Melindaflynn's comments were the only thing that helped.  I tried all the other HP advice and nothing helped.  Came down to that little black piece of plastic sticking up on the right side of the carriage.  I took plyers and carefully squeezed and twisted.  The top came off enough that the carriage could move freely again.  Then I reset the printer by unplugging without hitting the power button first.  It worked.  Made a lot of weird noise booting up, but then in printed a test page perfectly.

Thanks so much!

Tutor
Victorianhw
Message 27 of 47 (5,322 Views)

Technophobic, I have no doubt that your trouble will be back. Mine happened again the other day. Once again I had to force the carriage all the way to the right. This is definately a manufacturing flaw and HP are doing nothing. (By glolly I hope that they are reading these forums) I'm sick and tired of this printer and once the ink runs out...that's it...boat anchor!

Honor Student
amarts
Message 28 of 47 (5,311 Views)

Re: Officiate Pro 8500 "carriage jam"

Exactly like one of the problems i have had the past week - endless printhead cleaning - used up all my ink.

Carriage jam with no jam.

Prints out a test page after every print job

It is a joke machine

Student
1932coupe
Message 29 of 47 (5,208 Views)

My HP 8500 carriage jam..........I can't seem to find the problem.

I have done everything possible on my end.

this is a rather new machine and a nice machine.

please advise.

L

Top Student
housetour
Message 30 of 47 (5,162 Views)

I had this problem when setting up the first Officejet Pro 8500A Plus I purchased.  No paper had even been inserted yet. After hours of going crazy, and dealing with truly awful and useless HP online and phone "support," I was finally informed by a kind employee at Staples that this happens frequently with this model--numerous lemons with same insoluble issue--and that I should just exchange it for another.  I did, and it's mostly been OK--till today, when the dread "carriage jam" obstacle to life popped up again.  (Oh, except that when I turn the power off and then back on again, it keeps insisting that I didn't use the "power" button--which I did--but rather unplugged it or something--which I didn't--and informs me that this could cause a carriage jam problem!). 

Thanks to the advice on this forum, I was able to finally deal with it today, but I wholeheartedly agree with those who have seen this as a reason to never buy HP products again in the future.  In fact, there are very few companies out there who DO provide good tech support and customer service, but when I find one, I'm theirs for life.  Having had some great experiences with Apple recently, I've become convinced that it's worth shellling out more when buying a tech product to know that if I have a problem, I'll have an intelligent, accessible, helpful person there to be sure it gets solved.  Otherwise, if just left with a nonfunctioning thing and having a nervous breakdown about all you're not accomplishing, what's the point?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation