Question

Honor Student
craigory
Message 1 of 4 (8,539 Views)

Officejet Pro 8500A - Default to black-only printing?

[ Edited ]

I bought a new Officejet Pro 8500A Plus Wireless printer to replace my old Officejet 6210.  It is simple for the 6210 to set the default printing preferences to Print Quality "Fast Draft" and Color Options "Print In Grayscale > Print in black-only grayscale".  This saves me on ink in general, and especially on color ink because now it only uses the color cartridges if I tell it to temporarily print in color when printing a particular document (which is easy to do with the pop-up preferences box because it is directly available on one of the tabs).  The printing preferences for my new 8500A can easily be set to default to Quality Setting "Draft", but if I want to set it to default to black-only printing it is a real pain in the neck - the choice for color printing is not directly available on any of the tabs.  I have to set the Quality Setting to "Custom" and then use the "Advanced" button to get to a much more awkard pop-up box in order to change the black-only option.  Once I set it Quality Settings to "Custom" I also have to go to this same awkard pop-up to temporarily set the print quality higher ("Normal" or "Best").  Does anyone know a way to configure this so that both print quality and color-printing choice can be directly available on the simpler preferences box?  Thanks!

Student
djbasso
Message 2 of 4 (8,068 Views)

Re: Officejet Pro 8500A - Default to black-only printing?

Hi, I am trying to do set up my new HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus to print black-only as its default. I read your response but need a little clarification where/how to get to the custom settings you refer.

Thank you in advance for your help, Diana

Honor Student
danielbotha
Message 3 of 4 (6,402 Views)

I spend time to change printer settgins to print black only,but I find it still prints colour.

Mty son said there is a download I have to get for my laptop to change the print settgins to work properly ?

anybody out there that can give some light on this.

?

Student
omnifold
Message 4 of 4 (5,937 Views)

setting up to default black ink is easy. go into control panel select printers then right click on the printer and then select properties......then select the advanced table and make changes set gray scale to print black only and then save as "print black ink only. doint this will set system wide.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation