Question

Intern
BobP
Message 1 of 70 (10,136 Views)
Accepted Solution

Officejet Pro 8600 All-in-One connected as network printer loses connection

In December 2011 I purchased an HP Officejet Pro 8600 All-in-One to replace an Officejet 6500 as my home network printer. The 6500 had been working fine on my wired network, but its display screen had failed, I wanted some of the features offered by the 8600, and I got a good price on a new one from BJ's Warehouse. I have the 8600 connected via ethernet (not wireless), with a static IP address. All of my computers on the network are running Windows XP Pro SP3, and are up-to-date with Microsoft updates. However, overnight my 8600 will lose scan connectivity (Scan to Computer shows as disabled on all of my computers at the same time, and I cannot reconnect), and if I don't do anything it will eventually (like in a few more hours) also lose print connectivity. The only way to restore connectivity is to uninstall the HP Officejet Pro 8600 Basic Device Software from all of the computers and reinstall the printer. I have had one phone conversation and two chat sessions with HP Technical Support; they have suggested that the problem is in the firewalls on the computers (but if that were the case I don't think the loss of connectivity would occur on all computers at the same time), the IP address setting (doesn't sound reasonable), and the printer driver not being the latest version. I have tried all of their suggestions, and none of them have solved the problem. The last advisor "raised the issue to the next level", which turned out to be a manager with no technical expertise, and his only suggestion was that I return the printer to the dealer. I think the problem is the firmware in the printer (which according to the "update" option on the printer is the latest version). Does anyone have any other suggestions or experience?

Provost
pcwizard
Message 2 of 70 (10,075 Views)

Re: Officejet Pro 8600 All-in-One connected as network printer loses connection

Hi BobP, 

How old is the router you are using?

What is the make and model of the router?

Have you tried using a none static IP address to see if the problem still happens?

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Intern
BobP
Message 3 of 70 (10,074 Views)

The router is a Linksys WRT600N which I installed about three years ago. I have not tried using a non-static IP address, as I really don't want to have the address changing. Also, one of the technicians in chat specifically recommended a static IP. It seems to me that changing this to a router-assigned IP would make the loss of connectivity MORE likely to occur.

I can't help but think that the problem is most likely in the firmware of the printer, or possible in the driver software (which is the same on all of the computers).

If you have some indication that going to a router-assigned IP address has worked in solving this problem before, I am willing to try it.

(I don't see any way to select "Kudos" for your reply.)

Intern
BobP
Message 4 of 70 (10,072 Views)

Oh! Found the "Kudos" button - it appeared AFTER I posted my reply.

Provost
pcwizard
Message 5 of 70 (10,069 Views)

Hi BobP, 

I want to attempt to isolate any network interference which may be causing your issue. Is there a chance that you have another router or can borrow one to help isolate network enviroment with your current router?

If you allow the Router to assign a DHCP IP addres via the Ethernet cable that IP address should not change unless there is another device in conflict with the assigned IP address. Just curious to see if the problem is worse with an assigned IP address?

I am an HP employee.

Intern
BobP
Message 6 of 70 (10,068 Views)

I don't have another high-speed router that I can use, but I can try to get one. Are you suggesting that I (temporarily or permanently) replace the Linksys router with a different one and see how that works? While waiting to do that, I can try removing the static IP address and see what that does.

Provost
pcwizard
Message 7 of 70 (10,067 Views)

Hi BobP, 

Would like to do this temporarily just to help isolate network enviroment or interference issues with the linksys router. If the printer is connected Ethernet to the router you should not be loosing connection unless there is issue with router or cables. I do understand that more than one computer is having this issue which make me believe it could be a communication issue between the router and computers more than a cable issue.

I am an HP employee.

Intern
BobP
Message 8 of 70 (10,066 Views)

OK. I have deleted the static IP address on the printer and I am right now re-iinstalling the printer on all computers. I will not know  until tomorrow if that has fixed the problem. In the meantime, i will see about obtaining another router, but that will probably not be possible until next week.

The printer is connected by Ethernet cable. All cables in the network are category 5e; I hope to replace these with category 6 sometime in the next few months, but I would like to solve this problem with the printer sooner than that.

If you have access to support information, my initial contact by phone led to the opening of service ticket 8056434403, and my subsequent contacts were on chat session 18547537.

Provost
pcwizard
Message 9 of 70 (10,065 Views)

HI BobP, 

Sounds good, Let me know what you find out?

I am an HP employee.

Intern
BobP
Message 10 of 70 (10,049 Views)

Changing to a DHCP assigned IP address did not solve the connectivity problem. All connectivity to the printer was lost overnight.

I am now going to try to locate a replacement router, and also pick up enough cat 6 cable to replace all of those involved in the connections between the computers and the printer (there are a couple of other items on the network that I won't worry about for the moment). Depending upon what I can obtain today, I'll either change the router or the cables, but not both, until we see what the result might be. I'll post the results so you can evaluate for possible changes to software/firmware.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation