Question

Top Student
ali_moj
Message 1 of 13 (5,181 Views)

Officejet Pro 8600A won't connect fully over USB

Hi

I have just bought an HP Officejet Pro 8600A. After it recognized my wifi network at home (I even used the e-print feature), I tried to wirelessly connect it to my pc, but it looked like my wireless router did not support WPS. So I had to go for USB installation.

The first time I tried it, the installation software failed to complete and told me that "usb.inf", "usbprint.inf" and "usbstor.inf" was MISSING from my windows\inf folder. I downloaded these 3 files from the internet and placed them in the inf folder in windows directory and restarted my pc. This time, it just told me that the printer was not able to successfully connect to the pc over the USB. (I heard the usb connection sound windows made when I connected the printer to my pc, though. I was even prompted to make an action as to either install the drivers, ignore it this one time or choose not to bring the prompt menu again).

Though it seems that it cannot install the all-in-one device fully, even after such a defective installation, I am able to print documents with it in my pc. In the Printers folder in Control Panel, I have HP Officejet Pro 8600 and Fax - HP Officejet Pro 8600, BUT I don`t have any scanner in the Scanners & Cameras folder. I ran the HP Diagnostic Tool but it said that there is no scanner installed. By the way, I am using Windows Vista 64-bit (Home Premium) Service pack 2. I also tried this device on my laptop (VAIO VPCF111FD) over its Windows 7 64-bit and it installed over the USB like a charm and worked perfectly in both terms of printing and scanning. So I guess there isn`t anything wrong with the device. 

I thank you guys in advance for helping me out on this one.

Provost
pcwizard
Message 2 of 13 (5,154 Views)

Re: Officejet Pro 8600A won't connect fully over USB

Hi ali_moj,

If the printer is connected to your wireless network there is no need to use the USB cable to install the printer. Insert the CD that came with the printer, and when you get to the connection type chose network or wireless, and the software will detect the printer on the network and finish the installation. Let me know what happens? 

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Top Student
ali_moj
Message 3 of 13 (5,152 Views)

Hi pcwizard and thank you for your reply,

The printer is "connected" to the wireless network in terms of being able to use the internet via my wifi router BUT since my router doesn't support WPS, I cannot "add" the printer to the wireless network for wireless printing.

When I go through the installation process (either with the CD or with the driver I downloaded from hp.com), somewhere in the middle of installing, I am asked to plug the printer USB cable into my pc USB port. When I do that, it does NOT recognize the connection and after a while a red cross appears on that pc-to-printer-connection image it was showing me on the setup process which apparently means that the pc is NOT connected to the printer. (I'm curious about why I CAN print after this failed installation, though I can't scan anything!).

Thanx again for your help

Ali

Provost
pcwizard
Message 4 of 13 (5,150 Views)

Hi ali_moj,

Follow the steps below to connect the printer to your wireless network using the Wireless setup wizard from the printers control panel.

The Wireless Setup Wizard provides an easy way to set up and manage a wireless connection to your product.
NOTE:To use the Wireless Setup Wizard, you must have a wireless network set up and running.
  1. Set up the product (see the getting started guide or the setup poster that came with your product).
  2. On the product touch screen, touch the Right Arrow ( ) to display the second navigation screen.
  3. Touch the Setup icon ( ). The Setup Menu screen displays.
  4. Touch Network , touch Wireless Setup Wizard , and then touch Continue .
  5. Wait while the product searches for routers that are within range of the product. The Select Network Name menu displays.
  6. Scroll down the list of network names until you find the name of your network .
  7. Touch the name of your network , and then touch OK .
    NOTE:Your network name does not display on the Select Network (SSID) menu if your network settings have SSID broadcasting turned off or if a network problem exists.
  8. If the list does not contain your network name, follow these steps to enter it manually:
    1. On the Select Network (SSID) screen, scroll to and select Enter New Network Name . An on-screen keyboard displays.
    2. Use the on-screen keyboard to enter the network name (SSID).
      NOTE:Make sure that you type the uppercase (capital) and lowercase (small) letters exactly. Otherwise, the wireless connection fails.
    3. When you finish entering the new network name, touch OK . The product searches for that specific SSID.
      NOTE:If the SSID is not found after manually typing the network name, contact your network administrator or the person who set up the wireless network to confirm the network’s SSID/network settings. Once the SSID is found, the product determines if the network has a security key and what type of key it is.
  9. If prompted, enter the WEP or WPA key:
    1. Using the on-screen keyboard, touch the appropriate letters or numbers to enter the key.
      NOTE:You must type the exact uppercase (capital) and lowercase (small) letters. Otherwise, the wireless connection fails.
    2. When you finish entering the WEP key or WPA key, touch OK , and then touch OK . The product attempts to connect to the network.
  10. Wait for the product to connect to the network, and then continue to the next step.
    NOTE: If a connection error message displays, make sure that the network name and security key are correct. Follow the prompts to enter the information again.
I am an HP employee.

Top Student
ali_moj
Message 5 of 13 (5,149 Views)

Sorry, I think I didn't answer your question correctly! IF I choose network/wireless when I get to connection type, It asks me to either push the WPS button on my router (which there isn't any) OR enter the PIN the printer provides me in my "router software". I DID get the PIN from the printer, but in the "wireless" tab of my router software (I access that via 192.168.1.1 in Internet Explorer), there is nowhere I could possibly enter that PIN. I googled my router model (Linksys WRT54GS) and it appears that it does not support WPS, so I've come to believe that network/wireless setup is out of question for me. :-(

Provost
pcwizard
Message 6 of 13 (5,143 Views)

Hi ali_moj,

I think our messages passed each other. Try setting the printer up on the network using the Wireless setup wizard steps provided in message 4 of 6. Let me know what happens?

I am an HP employee.

Top Student
ali_moj
Message 7 of 13 (5,141 Views)

hi pcwizard,

I did what you told me, it recognized my network, I chose it and it finished setting it up. Please advise me as what the next step should be.

Provost
pcwizard
Message 8 of 13 (5,136 Views)

Hi ali_moj,

Insert the installation CD into the computer, and then when you get to the connection type screen choose network or wireless. He software will automatically search for the printer on the network, and then finish the installation. Let me know if you get the printer installed successfully?

I am an HP employee.

Top Student
ali_moj
Message 9 of 13 (5,133 Views)

Hi

I chose network or wireless, it found my printer. When I chose my printer and clicked next, a green bar filled up and after that, the red cross came again and said "unsuccessful network installation" and beneath it, "The printer was unable to be installed over the network". "Click Retry to try installing the printer over newtork again or click Cancel to return to the connection options".

Provost
pcwizard
Message 10 of 13 (5,105 Views)

Hi ali_moj,

Please download and run the Print and Scan Doctor from the link below. Let me know what errors you receive?

http://www.hp.com/go/tools

I am an HP employee.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation