Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a new Officejet Pro 8630 and I use it at home with both Windows and Mac.  I have installed the software on 4 computers in my house - 2 Windows 7 and 2 OSX 10.9.4.  The windows computers are running fine.  I can print and scan with the 8630.  

My Macs can print - but only one can receive a scan.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software to the one that doesn't work.  I've spent hours on the phone with tech support but I got nowhere.  I just finished uninstalling again and reinstalling.  Scan to computer is enabled but I cannot get it to scan either using the 8630 or by initiating a scan via HP's software.

THe tech told me it was becuase of 10.9.4 - but the other mac running 10.9.4 works fine.

When i scan from the printer (scan - to computer - macbookair) and hit start, the process begins on the printer's screen, then I get a pop-up on my mac from HP-scan that says "preparing to scan" which disappears.  I then get an error on the printer's screen that gives one of three errors:  connection to the computer was lost, OCR software not installed, or scan software already in use.

What can I do??

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi ckelly33b,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I see that your HP Officejet Pro 8630 will not scan to computer, with one of your Mac 10.9.4 computers. I am happy to help you with this scanning issue!

Please take a look through this scanning guide. A 'Computer Not Found' or 'Connection Error' Message Displays during Scanning.

Hope this helps you, and let me know if you have any further issues! Smiley Happy

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended
Turns out it was trend micro internet security. It works fine when that is disabled. I just need to figure out how to open ports on the firewall
HP Recommended

Hi ckelly33b,

Thank you for your response! Here is some more information for you:

Please open your firewall software, and then locate the configuration settings.

Important : Only change the settings in your local area (home) network. Before proceeding, contact the firewall vendor for additional information on how to change these settings.

Set your firewall to unblock the following port range:

• UDP port range 1000-65535

NOTE: You do not need to specify each port individually for this port range. Set one port rule for the entire range of ports.

Set your firewall to unblock the following individual ports:

• TCP port 80
  • TCP port 443
  • TCP port 8080
  • TCP port 9220
  • TCP port 9500

NOTE: Set one port rule for all these individual TCP ports.

Hope this helps you, and have a great day! :generic:

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

I had to do this to get my printer to scan to my computer:  This was on another site from an HP employee.

If you have a problem with your printer going offline and can't modify the port, create a new standard TCP/IP port.  I have my printer set up with a static IP.  Make sure you uncheck the SNMP box when you click on configure port.  For some reason it makes the computer show the printer offline if that box is checked. 

On my computer (Laptop) the port created by the software(go to printers, right click on printer, choose printer properties, ports tab) had the port listed as CN46.... and it could not be configured.  On my new port, I set the printer name or IP address to the static IP I had assigned to the printer and the port name to the printer name (HP Officejet 8630).

That allowed it to print, but it would not scan.  To scan follow the steps below.  Hopefully this will work.   I had to set WIA Windows Image Acquisition to manual and start it as it kept stopping.  I also set some of the others to manual.  I will shutdown my computer and restart to make sure they remain started when i log back in again.

Follow the steps below to check the WIA Service:

1. Type services.msc in run or search program and files

2. Scroll down to the WIA Windows Image Acquisition

3. Make sure that this service is running. Click Stop, and then Restart to make sure

4. Restart the computer

Restart the Dependencies services:

1. Click on Start, in Search box type “services” without quotes.

2. Scroll down until you see Windows Image Acquisition (WIA).

3. Double click on it and go to the tab called Dependencies.

4. 2 services should be listed.

5. Exit that window and look for Remote Procedure Call (RPC).

6. Make sure it’s on manual or if it is on Auto, you can just leave it. Make sure the service is started though.

7. Go to Shell Hardware Detection and Double click.

8. Set the Start up Type as Manual and hit Apply.

9. You should be able to Start the service by hitting Start.

10. Now you are done and the Twain Manager should be working and not give you an error.

Check dependencies or sub dependencies:

Right click on WIA (Windows Imaging Acquisition) selecting first properties and then the dependencies tab. It should list: Remote Procedure Call RPC  and  Shell Harward Detection

Under RPC it will then list DCOM Service Process Launcher and RPC Endpoint Mapper Go back to the main services.msc list and then right click and start all the items listed as dependencies or sub dependencies under WIA

Hope this works for you as did for me.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.