Officejet printers with 2nd paper tray not being detected (5106 Views)
Tutor
Missyrocks
Message 31 of 70 (592 Views)

Re: Officejet printers with 2nd paper tray not being detected

I think I have to return another printer!  The guy just said that this officejet pro 8600 premium can not be set to permanently print out of tray 2 from the computer!  Is that really true?  I can't manually have to go into copy settings every time i print an envelope and letter!  The whole point of having 2 trays was to print envelopes in tray 1, and letters in tray 2.  HOw hard is that?  But you can't on this stupid printer!  It keeps reverting to tray 1 every time it finishes the last copy!  Is there no other solution? 

Provost
pcwizard
Message 32 of 70 (585 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Missyrocks,

You can set the printer to print (not copy) envelopes from tray 1, and letter from tray 2. Follow the steps below.

1. Touch (right arrow), touch Setup, touch Preferences, and then select Default Tray

2. Select Tray 2 as the default tray

3. Open Printers and Faxes

4. Right click on printer, and then select Printer Properties

5. Click on Device Settings tab

6. On this screen set the media assigned to each tray (Example: tray 1 - envelopes & Tray 2 - Letter)

7. Click apply, and then Ok

8. When you have an envelope you are printing it will pull from tray 1

9. When you have a letter you are printing it will pull from tray 2

I appoligize i was having you go into the printer preferences when i was meaning printer properties.

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Tutor
Missyrocks
Message 33 of 70 (579 Views)

Thank you.  Sadly, I did those already and still the same thing.  I think it might be when I'm copying only.  It only will work 1x & then immediately the next time I hit print, it reverts back to automatic paper & tray 1.  I have to manually go into the settings on the copy settings on the printer to change it EVERY time!  I don't see how to make it stay on tray 2 despite all of the other stuff we did.  Thank you.

Tutor
Missyrocks
Message 34 of 70 (577 Views)

I think it's only when I go to make copies on the printer itself that it always defaults to tray 1 instead of tray 2 even though it has tray 2 set as default and i locked tray 2.  I have to re-set manually EVERY time i make a new copy.  I hope this explains the problem and I really hope there's a solution to keep it locked in tray 2 so I don't have to return this and set up another printer. And after trying the laserjet 5136 or 1536? that was way too slow to receive faxes and now this tray issue, I'm not going with hp again if this doesn't work!  Thank you again for your help.

Tutor
bojangles-
Message 35 of 70 (574 Views)

are you saying that when you copy something that it will only use tray 1 and the copy comes out on an envelope?  i havent tried that yet, although i now have tray 2 on the printer control panel thanks to some one here that told us to take out the whole bottom peice  not just the tray.

Tutor
Missyrocks
Message 36 of 70 (566 Views)

When I copy something, it always tries to pull it from tray 1, which yes, i have my envelopes in.  I have to manually press the buttons in "copy" then settings, then select tray 2 in order to get it to take from tray 2.  It won't just stay on tray 2.  And yes, I'm so glad that person posted at the very end of the post to completely disattach tray 2 because that wasn't clear at all from what they advised.  So now I can print out of tray 2 from computer, but can't make copies on the printer because it'll only take it from tray 1.  Can't get it to permanently accept tray 2 as the tray to print from.  The whole point of getting this printer was to have env in one tray & paper in other to print letters & envelopes for work all day!

Tutor
bojangles-
Message 37 of 70 (557 Views)

i just tried to copy and it printed on my 4x6 photo paper in tray 1.  i dont know how to set it to copy from tray 2

Provost
pcwizard
Message 38 of 70 (541 Views)

Hi missyrocks,

When you go into the copy settings change the paper size to 8.5x11 instead of automatic. Let me know if you are then able to copy from tray 2?

I am an HP employee.

Provost
pcwizard
Message 39 of 70 (539 Views)

Hi bojangles,

Do the following steps to update the printer.

1. Press the ePrint icon

2. Press Settings

3. Press Printer update

Let me know what firmware version you are running after the update is finsihed?

I am an HP employee.

Tutor
Missyrocks
Message 40 of 70 (537 Views)

Yes. Problem is it doesn't keep the setting. Once u copy, it reverts back to tray 1 & automatic so u have to manually change settings every time . That's the problem. It won't take the new setting & keep it.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation