Officejet pro 8600 - Paper jam! (3749 Views)
Honor Student
Linda0122
Message 1 of 18 (3,749 Views)

Officejet pro 8600 - Paper jam!

I keep getting a message that says there is a paper jam. There is no paper jam! I have spoken to cust ser several times. 

The rollers are clean, there is no paper anywhere jammed in the machine. Printer is only 3 months old, do not want a refurbished printer. The first time it happened, I got it to work. I have tried all the things they told me to do, unplug, take the back off, check each area for paper jam, wiped off the rollers, changed plugs, etc, etc. Two weeks after the first message, it is doing it again! Is there any help for this piece of junk?!

PhD Student
Brandon1
Message 2 of 18 (3,649 Views)

Re: Officejet pro 8600 - Paper jam!

Hi Linda 0122,

Check out this document and make sure you have the latest firmware for your printer.

If I helped you at all it would be great if you clicked the blue kudos star!

If I solved your post please mark it as solved to help others.

I'm a printer tech with HP.

Honor Student
Szanne
Message 3 of 18 (3,647 Views)

Ohh  i wish i could give you an answer..I have the 8600 also ..bought March 22, 2012 and Sept 4 it says NO PAPER though the paper drawers are full..It will not pull in the card stock nor photo paper..then says ROLLER IS STALLED+..So..hour with on line chat and then phone and they send me a "new" refurbished one..get it ..start using it Friday THEN it too says NO PAPER..on the phone for over an hour..SAME problem,,,updated drivers all the tips and tricks..finally i am told "we'll call you Monday or Tuesday" .

Machine is NOT good for office work..I publish a single breed magazine and need to be able to print both card stock and photo paper...not on this machine...

BEWARE the 8600

Honor Student
Szanne
Message 4 of 18 (3,641 Views)

GOOD LUCK not getting a refurbished one..That is what i got and it came Sept 6 it will not pull in photo paper nor card stock..i am STILL WAITING for the call back from tech support

The original machine as purchased Mar 22, 2012 stopped working Sept 4

Honor Student
RichardinSandy
Message 5 of 18 (3,433 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi Brandon1, while you made a valiant effort to help, in my particular case the software that you suggested claims that it could not find a printer that needed an upgrade and the printer claims that it has the lastest software.

I am, like several other people on this thread, stuck with a printer that does NOT work properly. Unfortunatey mine is 2 months out of warranty.

Some statistics about my printer; 483 pages printed, 348 of which were colour. 76 scans. 2 faxes sent.  Printer first installed 2012/05/20 - what this tells me is that I have a fairly useless printer, with very limited use in the last year which does NOT work. It occasionally deigns to print a diagnostic page if I ask nicely, but comes up with the printer jam message as soon as it's finished printing. Nothing is jammed.

The worst part of all of this is that I have emailed HP support on three seperate occasions, and no one has done me the courtesy of a reply.

I posted a fairly negative review of the printer and HP's support on Amazon. I hope that people take note and stay well clear of this model of printer. For myself - I will never buy another HP product again. 

Honor Student
Linda0122
Message 6 of 18 (3,428 Views)

Refurbished is a piece of junk also. HP should have recalled this printer! It printed one page before stating there was no paper....there was plenty of paper, finally got that to work. Printed two sheets and now nothing...because there is a paper jam. I mean really????? Brandon1, thanks tried this, but Rec'd the same response as RichardinSandy. I give up. Customer service for HP is a joke.
Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 7 of 18 (3,402 Views)

Hello everyone

I can understand the frustration. No one likes to have problems with their equipment. If you would like I can see if I can help resolve the problem.

Linda0122

You seem to performed the steps in the article "'Paper Jam' Message Displays on the printer" already, but I would suggest going over it once more. Also, which model of the Officejet 8600 are you using? There is the N911a, N911g, and N911n and each differ. I have also had one customer tell me he resolved a paper jam once by getting the printer to print a single piece of thick card stock. Some small pieces of paper were pushed out by the card stuck. This of course is if you can get the printer to print at all some times. If none of that works, let me know your exact model and I will try something else. Don't forget to check for any firmware updates as Brandon1 said. It has been awhile since he posted that so a newer firmware may exist. One last thing, how is the printer connected to the computer? As the article states a paper jam can be real or false. Does the message occur on another computer?

Szanne

It sounds like you have a problem with the roller system. The following article applies specifically to your problem. If you have already followed it then the last step is to service the printer.

An 'Out of Paper' or 'Pick Motor Stalled' Message Displays and the Product Does Not Pick Up or Feed ...

Hello RichardinSandy

I would also suggest reading the paragraph addressed to Linda0122 and letting me know what model of the 8600 you have.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
Honor Student
RichardinSandy
Message 8 of 18 (3,397 Views)

Hi Travis, my printer is a HP Officejet Pro 8600 N911a. 

I have followed the instructions that you have provided and cleaned the rollers. When I powered up the printer it simply goes straight to the paper jam message.

I have tried printing from a Mac (10.8.2) and a Windows 7 Professional machine, and nothing happens.

I appreciate the fact that you are trying to help, but I think that I have learned a lesson here; as I said in an earlier post, I will never purchase another HP product and will advise any friends who are looking for a printer of my experiences with this printer.

I also find it really frustrating that I had to sulk and pout on a user forum to get any attention from HP. 

I have wasted enough time, hours and hours, on this printer. It's going in the recycle bin and I will look for a replacement that actually works.

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 9 of 18 (3,395 Views)

Hello RichardinSandy

This forum is a peer-to-peer community for customers to be able to share their experiences and solutions and is not intended as a formal way of contacting HP. Any HP employees you see on here are here on their own free time to assist customer's.

I appreciate that you took your time to response and I wish you luck with whatever new printer you purchase.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
Honor Student
RichardinSandy
Message 10 of 18 (3,393 Views)

Hi Travis, that's understood, but my point is that HP ignored my three support requests and the only response that I got from HP was via this forum.

To me that's indicative of the way that HP treats their customers.

I tip my proverbial hat to you as an individual, but as a means of HP providing support to a customer base this is pretty poor.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation