Question
Paper feed on the HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless A909 Series is intermittent and unreliable
Replies (28)

CRJ Honor Student
Honor Student
CRJ
Message 11 of 29 (5,032 Views)

Re: Paper feed on the HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless A909 Series is intermittent and unreliable

I am having the exact same issue!!

Honor Student
andon
Message 12 of 29 (5,006 Views)

Re: Paper feed on the HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless A909 Series is intermittent and unreliable

I'm still waiting on a response!!!  Any suggestions ot there??

Student
robray
Message 13 of 29 (4,995 Views)

The Paper feed on the HP Officejet Pro works once or twice then makes a bunch of noise and then tells me I am out of paper.  I have changed the paper levels,  hit the OK button and the feed may or may not work. -  the machine is about a year old.  I have had other HP printers and never have I experienced this type of trouble.

Student
smilinurse
Message 14 of 29 (4,928 Views)

I join the group with this same problem. It is so very frustrating. Has anyone received a solution?

Honor Student
Kcats
Message 15 of 29 (4,824 Views)

I had this problem too, and after trying all sorts of things eventually discovered that I have to ensure that paper tray 1 is selected within whatever software I am printing from.  As long as tray 1 is selected under "Paper Source" this problem seems to be solved.

Student
jeni
Message 16 of 29 (4,740 Views)

I JUST bought and am having the same issues.  I have to baby it thru a print job!  This is not right.  I tried the print from tray 1 and that didn't work either.  I tried the downloads and I tried putting it on a heavier paper.  This is VERY VERY Frustrating.  I think that HP is ignoring this problem and continues to sell it with the problem.  It would be a great printer otherwise!

Master's Graduate
skippyjohnson
Message 17 of 29 (4,726 Views)

I posted a video before on the document feeder.  This video will help if the issue is paper not feeding from the input tray. 

I am an HP employee.
Student
mjfrank907
Message 18 of 29 (4,681 Views)

Same issue here with the OfficeJet 8500-A909, sometimes it feeds, sometimes it says paper jam when there's no paper in the printer.

Inside the printer, under where the print head parks(left hand side) is the main feed roller, which has a fat white gear that has a black gear engaged with it by a spring loaded sliding sleeve.  To the left of the black gear inside the spring loaded sleeve, there is a white coarse toothed cog, for lack of a better description.  This white gear should be fixed to the main feed roller shaft with a small allen head screw, but on my printer, this white gear is cracked, and will slide forward off of the screw.  The function of these gears and the slide is to switch between driving the paper tray feed rollers, and the main feed roller.  This is selected by the print head carriage engaging a tab on the sliding sleeve, and pushing it to the left against the spring pressure. (left drives the tray feed, not pushing it or all the way right drives the main feed roller. Because the white cog is broken it's not fixed to the shaft and can't drive the paper tray rollers. So my tray feed rollers don't move at all, and the printer just makes a ratcheting noise, and then errors saying there is a paper jam.

I can temporarily get this to work by taking a paper clip, and sliding slot in the broken white cog back into mesh with the allen head screw on the main feed roller drive shaft.

Is there any way to get repair parts for this printer.  It's really not worth packing it up, shipping it back, and then paying for HP to fix it.  If I can fix it I will, otherwise I'll just chuck it.

--Mike

Student
ecmanagement
Message 19 of 29 (4,625 Views)

Re: Paper Feed Arm Does Not Drop; CANT SCAN MULTI PG DOCS

I have been having the same problem with my HP All-in-One 8500A Plus the feed arm will NOT DROP to feed any document. I work for a small business and need to get away from the filing cabinets but every time i buy a printer it has a meltdown; this the 3rd printer our company has bought in the last 2 years because of a scanning malfunction. Unfortunately this latest printer (less than 6 months) did not get a warranty and i can not get any help what so ever because i didnt get a warranty, we cant just keep buy a new printer every Months; this is a small business we have 3 HP printers all have different functions because something on each one doesnt work.......!!!!!!!!

PLEASE GIVE SOME ADVICE ON WHY THE FEED ARM WONT DROP... AND WHAT I CAN DO TO FIX IT.

I HAVE ALREADY BEEN THROUGH YOUR WHOLE SUPPORT WEBSITE; SHOULD I TAKE IT TO SOME ELSE.

OR JUST QUIT BUYING HP PRODUCTS!?

Student
patsome
Message 20 of 29 (4,478 Views)

I also have a problem with a cracked white plastic bushing/gear on the feed roller rod but the HP website does not list the part or indicate where it may be purchased.  The printer has been very lightly used and it would be such a waste to have to throw it away because of a small plastic bushing.  It certainly would make me think twice about buying another HP multifunction unit. Some assistance please HP. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation