Question

Top Student
keithjd
Message 1 of 17 (8,204 Views)
Accepted Solution

Photosmart 5510d upgrade driver installation issues

I have a HP Photosmart 5515 Printer which has been used successfully for months using the original 5510d supplied drivers

A few weeks ago, the Printer Assistant reported that an update was available and then some of it stopped functionaining correctly.

I have since installed the latest set of drivers and the problem is worse:

a) First error was that html code was displayed.

b) This was fixed by correcting the hta file association.

c) I am now getting json script errors.

d) Default browser has been changed from Explorer to Chroom (no difference)

e) Have gone for removal of software and "clean" install - no change.

f) Have NOT carried out any registry hacks.

The problem seems to be related to an issue someone else raised related to the Photosmart 7520:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Install-Setup/photosmart-7520-solution-portal-displa...

Operating System Windows 7 64 bit

Latest drivers appear to be worse than the original drivers

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 2 of 17 (8,196 Views)

Re: Photosmart 5510d upgrade driver installation issues

Hi,

Try uninstalling the software by going to Start > Programs > HP > HP Photosmart 5510d > Uninstall.

Next go to C:\Program Files\HP\HP Photosmart 5510d\Bin\.

locate and delete the UDC_Files folder.

Next go to C:\ProgramData\HP\HP Photosmart 5510d

Note: the ProgramData file may be hidden, be sure to set the folder options to view hidden files or go to Start >

Programs > Accessories > Run and type C:\ProgramData\HP into the run dialog to access it.

Locate the HPUDC folder and rename it into HPUDC_1.

Now reinstall the software using the downloaded file and check for any change.

If the issue persists please clarify your operating system and HP software language (as same as displayed during the software installation.

Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos thumb up in the post.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Top Student
keithjd
Message 3 of 17 (8,193 Views)

The solution has not fixed the problem! It's still the same.

The uninstall actually removes the files from C:\Program Files\HP\HP Photosmart 5510d\Bin\.

The first error message I get is 

"unable to get value of the property UDCString_UDCName"

OS is Windows 7 Professional 64 bit with SP1 and all service packs.

Language is English

Top Student
keithjd
Message 4 of 17 (8,182 Views)

OK!

Can someone from HP Support please have a look at this problem as there appears to be a number of threads related to this exact same issue (multiple printing devices), none of which appear to have a resolution. 

The symptomns are

a) Printer Assistant stops functioning correctly after an update.

b) User then tries to load latest drivers and problem gets worse.

For the moment I have a workaround which is

a) Remove all Drivers

b) Rename the printer folder in c:\ProgramData\HP

c) Re-install the old drivers

d) Remove and add the printer from the Printer Control Panel

e) Create a Shortcut to the HP Scan utility on the desktop and use that for scanning

At the moment, I seem to be able to print and scan which is good enough.

I would suggest that further testing is required on these drivers. Question for HP Support is 

a) What is the pre-requisite software that is required to run these new drivers.

b) What assumptions have been made regarding file associatations.

c) Are there any known compatability issues with particularly OSs or Virus Tools (eg I'm using Norton 2012)

Please note that this issue appears on multiple machines from different manufacturers

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 5 of 17 (8,159 Views)

The problem has been fixed in the latest version of the HP software which is Version 28.8. If you are using an older version, functionality will be lost. Make sure you have the correct version of the latest software installed. I'll link it below. If that's not working, did you try the steps that pcwizard posted in the link you provided. The link you provided in your first post now seems to have a solution. Let me know what happens.

HP Photosmart Full Feature Software and Drivers
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Student
wolf1
Message 6 of 17 (8,121 Views)

@Shane_R

Are you really sure that the problem has been fixed? I have downloaded the newest software version 28.8 (both the basic and the full version) and just spent a few hours of installing/de-installing this software several times  with both Windows 7 and Windows XP. No success at all. With this software package the driver installation always failed, and after hours of unsuccessful attempts I guess I finally figured out why.

The downloaded software package is not compatible with my Photosmart 5515 version. The driver installation files in the package expect the following Hardware-IDs for the device to be installed:

USBPRINT\HPPhotosmart_5510_seD1FA

USB\vid_03f0&pid_a111&mi_03

USB\vid_03f0&pid_a111&mi_00

But my Photosmart 5515 reports (readout from Device Manager) other Hardware-IDs when it gets connected via USB:

USBPRINT\HPPhotosmart_5510d_s12C8

USB\VID_03F0&PID_B411&MI_03

USB\VID_03F0&PID_B411&MI_00

So the driver installation package expects a product id of "a111" but my 5515 reports "B411", and the package also refers to a "Photosmart_5510" but my 5515 reports itself as "Photosmart_5510d. This means the downloaded package version 28.8 is only compatible with the 5510 (a111) but not with the 5510d (B411), while the driver installation files from the CDROM accept product id "B411" but not "a111".

What is the difference between a Photosmart 5510 and my Photosmart 5510d?

I've bought my Photosmart in Germany, may be this is the reason why I have a 5510d which in reality is a 5515. The firmware version is EDL1CN1133AR

Is there an up-to-date driver software package that supports the 5510d (B411) model? The software download links on the German support page point to the version 28.8 software packages which support only the 5510 (a111) model.

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 7 of 17 (8,104 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yes there are. I'll link them below.

HP Photosmart Software und Treiber für alle Funktionen

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Top Student
keithjd
Message 8 of 17 (8,086 Views)

Apologies for the delay in responding, but this has not fixed the problem.

I think you'll find that the "d" bit stands for duplex as opposed to the German variant.

The driver that was mentioned corresponds to the following exe - PS5510_1315.exe which I'm afraid can't seem to find my model (I had this problem the first time).

The driver I installed was using the following link:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=uk&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=mp-108849-2

and corresponds to the exe  PS5510d_1315.exe both drivers have a Digital signature date of 17th October 2012.

After another hour or so of messing around, I have now once again reverted back to the original drivers, although I have had problems with these too recently (eg printer going off-line).

So to summarise:

Neither the PS5510d_1315.exe or PS5510_1315.exe seem to work on my HP Photosmart 5515.

Associate Dean
Shane_R
Message 9 of 17 (8,067 Views)

There are a couple of things left to try, just to narrow down what might be causing the problem. First, create a new user account with admin privileges on the computer. If that doesn't help, try installing the printer on another computer. Let me know what happens.
Signature
Top Student
keithjd
Message 10 of 17 (8,058 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your help, but I'm not going to try that option!

Essentially I have one PC which now works most of the time and another that works all the time (both of which with the old drivers). I suspect that the Port Driver is problematic on one of the PC's

If I can build up the entheusiasm I'm going to call HP support today.

Let's just that I'm really dissapointed with HP Support in the UK in relation to this type of printer.

A summary of events is as follows:

a) March 2012 - Purchased the Printer and everything works fine for a while

b)  October 2012 - HP applies a mandatory software patch, which renders the normal Scanning Functionality unavailable.

c) October/November 2012 - Customers have to work around patch.

d) October/November 2012 - Customers applying new drivers have more problems and have to revert to old drivers.

In the UK, there seems to be no way of contacting HP support electronically other than via phone, unless someone can correct me.  IF HP issue mandatory patches, within the warranty period of the printer then they should provide FREE Customer Support

Update: 

Contacted HP Support and although sympathetic, they said there was nothing they could do as the warranty for the product was provided by Currys/PC World. Contacted Currys/PC World and they said there was nothing they could do as I had a workaround

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation