Question

Top Student
jbcarico
Message 1 of 12 (3,093 Views)

Photosmart 7510 - can't scan

I was trying to replace my HP Touchsmart 3300 with a new Photosmart 7510 all-in-one.  Hooked it up to my wireless network with no problem.  Got it to print from my laptop (Windows 7 64-bit) and from my wife's iPad, and also got the eprint function working without any difficulty.  However, I can not get it to scan, either from the printer or from my laptop.  Tried downloading and reinstalling the appropriate drivers from the HP website, but I get an install error every time (HP Installation Failure - MSI 1603).  Submitted the info to HP and received a "fix" from HP.  Ran the network diagnostic utility, did everything it asked, including installing Windows updates.  Still won't scan, and I still get the installation error.  The printer shows up on my laptop under Devices and Printers.  If I go into the scanner software and click on "Manage scan to computer", nothing happens.  If I click on "Scan a Document or Photo", I get the following error: "The HP Photosmart 7510 Series was not found."  Any ideas?

Provost
pcwizard
Message 2 of 12 (3,064 Views)

Re: Photosmart 7510 - can't scan

Hi jbcarico,

Follow the instructions on the document at the link below for the fatal error 1603, and also run the scan diagnostic utility.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02455020&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3795314

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02114802&cc=us&dlc=en&jumpid=oc_r1002_usens-001...

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Top Student
jbcarico
Message 3 of 12 (3,056 Views)

Thanks for the suggestions, pcwizard.  Unfortunately, it didn't help.  The scan diagnostic utility does not recognize the printer, but I can't install the printer software.  I removed my previous printer, but that didn't help either.  I can still print from my laptop, but I can't scan from the printer (to my laptop) or from my laptop itself.

Provost
pcwizard
Message 4 of 12 (3,050 Views)

Hi jbcarico,

Did you follow the steps in the fatal error document?

I am an HP employee.

Top Student
jbcarico
Message 5 of 12 (3,038 Views)

Hi pcwizard,

I did everything that you suggested, including the workaround by installing just the basic drivers.  Still no go...even the basic drivers failed to install.  I tried scanning with Windows Fax and Scan anyway, but the scanner is not found.  The printer is installed and visible on the network, and prints appropriately.  Could my problems be related to the software from my previous Touchsmart printer?  I don't want to uninstall that stuff until I'm pretty sure that this new one is going to work out.

Provost
pcwizard
Message 6 of 12 (3,032 Views)

Hi jbcarico,

Follow the steps below to uninstall and reinstall using the full feature software and drivers from the HP website. Let me know how it goes?

Solution One: Uninstall the software, and then reinstall the software
Follow these steps to remove any installed or partly installed software, and then reinstall the software for the product.
NOTE:Steps in this content will require you to restart the computer, which will close the Web browser. To return to this document and continue troubleshooting, bookmark this page before proceeding.
Step one: Uninstall the software
  1. Disconnect the USB cable from the computer.
    Figure 8: USB cable
    Illustration: USB cable
  2. On the Windows taskbar, click the Windows icon ( ), type appwiz.cpl in the Search Programs and Files box, and then press Enter .
  3. Click the product, and then click Uninstall .
  4. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the uninstall. Remove all the HP software items for the product.

Step two: Turn off the 'terminate and stay resident' programs

Follow these steps to temporarily turn off Terminate and Stay Resident (TSR) programs.
Background information: When the computer starts Windows 7, TSR software programs automatically load. TSR programs activate computer utilities, such as antivirus software, but are not required for the computer to function. TSR programs can interfere with product software installation.
  1. On the Windows taskbar, click the Windows icon ( ), type msconfig in the Search Programs and Files box, and then press Enter . The User Account Control window opens.
  2. Click Continue . The System Configuration window opens.
  3. Click the General tab, and then click Selective Startup check box.
  4. If there is a checkmark next to Load Startup items, click the checkmark to remove it.
  5. Click the Services tab, and then click Hide All Microsoft Services (at the bottom of the Services tab).
  6. Click Disable All , and then click Ok .
  7. Click Restart . The computer automatically restarts.
Step three: Clear temporary files and folders
Follow these instructions to use the Disk Cleanup Utility in Windows 7 to clear temporary files to free hard disk space on the computer.
  1. Click the Windows icon ( ), click All Programs , click Accessories , click System Tools , and then click Disk Cleanup . The Disk Cleanup Utility window opens.
  2. Disk Cleanup Utility analyzes the hard disk, and then displays a report containing a list of optional Files to delete . Click the check boxes next to unnecessary files, and then click OK .
Step four: Disable the firewall
Firewalls can prevent the software from being installed. Before installation, temporarily disable any third-party firewalls installed in Windows 7, such as Symantec, McAfee, or ZoneAlarm.
  1. On the Windows taskbar, click the Windows icon ( ), click Control Panel , and then click Windows Firewall . The Windows Firewall window opens.
  2. On the left side of the window, click Turn Windows Firewall on or off .
  3. Click Turn off Windows firewall (not recommended) .
Step five: Download and install the software from the HP Web site
Follow these steps to download the software, and then install it.
Download the software

Many products have more than one driver option on the downloads page. Choices might include a Basic type, and Full Feature type. If both options are available, the following information might help you decide which driver to download.
Basic type Full Feature type
For basic printing: This driver runs the basic print functions of your product.

For quick download: The file size is smaller than the Full Feature driver, so it is faster to download and install.
For enhanced printing: HP includes valuable software to help you get the most from your product. The software varies by product , but here are some examples:

• Searchable help files tailored to your product
  • Image-editing software
  • HP Solution Center: This important tool helps you establish settings for printing. It also helps you with product maintenance, troubleshooting, software updates, and links to buy supplies.

NOTE: During the Full Feature installation process, you can choose a custom installation, where you select the specific software items that you want to install.
HP recommends the Full Feature type of download, if available, to ensure the best support for your product.
Follow these steps to download the product software and save it to your computer.
  1. Disconnect the USB cable from both the product and the computer (if you already connected it).
  2. Turn the product on.
  3. Browse to the Get Software and Drivers page: Get Software and Drivers
  4. Check the instructions on the page, and then click the Plus sign (+) next to the correct heading for additional instructions:
    showhide
    If prompted to enter your product in the window .
    1. Type your product number in the window.
    2. Click Next . If necessary, click your model in a list of similar products.
    3. Click Software and Driver Downloads .
    4. Click the drop-down arrow ( ), and then click your operating system.
    5. Continue to the next step.

showhide
    If prompted to select your operating system .
    1. Click the drop-down arrow ( ), and then click your operating system.
    2. Click Next .
    3. Continue to the next step.

5. Click the Plus sign ( ) next to Driver , and then click the driver that you want to download. If you need help deciding, see the information in the previous table.
  6. Read through the minimum system requirements and additional instructions. You can also click View directions ( ) for complete download instructions.
  7. Click Download .
  8. If the File Download Security Warning window displays, click Save , and then browse to the location on your computer where you want to save the file.
  9. Click Save . The software downloads to your computer.
    Hint: Make a note of the place that you saved the file, in case you want to install it at a later time.
Install the software

Follow these steps to install the downloaded software and driver.
  1. When the download is complete and you are ready to install the files, click Open Folder , and then click the downloaded file. The file name ends in .exe .
    NOTE:If you closed the Download Complete screen, browse to the folder where you saved the .exe file, and then click it.
  2. You can accept the default location to save the files. Click Next , and then wait while the installer extracts the files to prepare for installation.
  3. When the Install Wizard starts, follow the on-screen instructions to install the software.
    For a Full Feature installation, you choose what type of installation you want. The following information might help you decide which installation type to use.
    Recommended Custom
    For full use of all your product features : This installation provides full product functionality. HP also includes valuable software to help you get the most out of your product.

This installation type is designed to work for most users.
    A custom type of installation might be available for your product. This installation allows you to install the minimum software required or the preferred software.

Use this type of installation only if the computer is low on hard disk space or you attempted a recommended type of installation and received errors. (Try to fix any errors before starting a custom installation.)

CAUTION:To avoid unintended loss of product functionality, read the description of each software component carefully during the installation process.
    The Recommended type of installation allows you to get the most out of your product.
Step six: Enable the Startup software
Follow these steps to turn on the programs that you turned off in the previous Turn off the 'terminate and stay resident' programs step in this document.
  1. On the Windows taskbar, click the Windows icon ( ), type msconfig in the Search Programs and Files box, and then press Enter . The User Account Control window opens.
  2. Click Continue . The System Configuration window opens.
  3. Click the Services tab, click Enable All , and then click OK .
  4. Click the General tab, and then click the Normal Startup check box.
  5. Click Apply , and then click Ok .
  6. Click Restart . The computer automatically restarts.
I am an HP employee.

Top Student
jbcarico
Message 7 of 12 (3,023 Views)

Hi pcwizard,

Still didn't work.  I typed appwiz.cpl in the Search Programs and Files box, and the program showed up in the list, but when I press ENTER, the full list of programs comes up without appwiz.cpl in that list.  I couldn't delete it, since I couldn't find it in that list.  Am I missing something there?

Did everything else in your latest suggestion, but the software again failed to install properly.

Thanks again for the suggestions so far...

Provost
pcwizard
Message 8 of 12 (3,020 Views)

Hi jbcarico,

Is this the only computer that is unable to install the software?

Try installing the printer using the USB connection. Let me know if you have the same issue?

I am an HP employee.

Top Student
jbcarico
Message 9 of 12 (3,019 Views)

I was able to easily install the software on my son's laptop.  The printer scans to that computer without any problem, so as a work around, I can just scan to his computer, move the file to Dropbox, and then move it to my computer without any significant difficulty.  Not ideal, but not a big problem either.

I could not set up the printer on my laptop via USB cable either.  I get an error that the device drivers failed to install.  Now that I know I can use the scanner function on my son's laptop, I think I'll uninstall the software for my previous printer/scanner, and see if that makes any difference.

Provost
pcwizard
Message 10 of 12 (3,018 Views)

Hi jbcarico,

It appears that the operating system on your computer may be contributing to the failure. If you still have an issue installing after removing the other printer you may want to consider backing up your data, and doing a system restore back to factory settings on your computer. Let me know how it goes?

I am an HP employee.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation