Photosmart C6150 Printer Power Cycles and Won't Boot (1508 Views)
Honor Student
MyHPisBusted
Message 1 of 6 (1,508 Views)

Photosmart C6150 Printer Power Cycles and Won't Boot

My Photosmart C6150 has died or is at least having a stroke of some kind.

When I started my printer it powers up the LCD normally and then the printer will make an electronic *pop* noise and shut down.  It will then restart itself BUT the green ON button does not light up when it does this.   The printer will just cycle on and off, on and off until it is unplugged.  When it is plugged most of the time the LCD screen powers up again with no light in the ON button and it will just continue to cycle off and on.  

I found another post with a problem like mine and it said to unplug the power cable from the transformer and not the wall.   Plug it back in and once you turn the printer on hold the # and 6 key to reset the printer.   When I do this I get various start up routines ranging from the printer shutting itself down completely to it cycling normally only to reach the first 'ding-dong' noise of a normal start up and then *pop* back to the power cycling on and off.  The green light flashing on and off in the ON button.

More research shows a problem like this has been caused by faulty logic boards:

“Apparently some defective components were used in the construction of the logic board (see photo). On my C6180 there were 3 failed capacitors (the green cylinders - the puffed top indicates failure) and a 4th from the same manufacturer (TEAPO - many unfavorable web references to this manufacturer).”

This printer has never been used a lot by any means and in most cases just for scanning purposes.

Is there some other fix for this or do I have to pay someone $100 to look at my printer.  

Student
pianofan
Message 2 of 6 (1,415 Views)

Re: Photosmart C6150 Printer Power Cycles and Won't Boot

[ Edited ]

I am having the same problem with mine. I am ready to throw the printer in a dumpster, it's almost never been used. I could not find any solutions myself online or with HP. What happened with your search/repair? 

Student
joweath
Message 3 of 6 (1,380 Views)

Me, too.  Did the #6 work?

Honor Student
caughtbtwn
Message 4 of 6 (1,327 Views)

I'm having the same issues!  Tried # and 6, and # and 3, and # and 9, and OK and * and #, and black and color, and OK and Cancel.  ALL these caused my printer to stop making the burp noise, but it still cycles while powering up and never fully going on,... and no green light for the ON button... except when the green light BLINKS on the ON button and ACTS like it's going to fully boot up.

Anyone have a fix, other than taking the printer apart, looking to see if the capacitor is bad?  Need to find a small enough screwdriver.

Thanks!

Honor Student
MyHPisBusted
Message 5 of 6 (1,302 Views)

Mt printer is now a very effective doorstop.

$200 to fix 4 pieces that cost less then $1.00 total.   Not even a peep from HP going "whoops.  Our mistake."

Student
gshrout
Message 6 of 6 (1,250 Views)

Same problem here. The partial reset of #3 worked a couple of months ago, but now nothing.....

Too bad for me, that I had just bought $$ worth of new ink before it went on the fritz. Anyone know if they have newer printers that use the 02 ink?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation