Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I just purchased a brand new MacBook, and with it came a wireless HP Photosmart D110 printer/scanner/copier. I installed everything and am able to print, but not scan. When I try to scan I get an error message that "the scan cannot be performed because another program has control of the HP imaging device." The popup suggests restarting the program and rebooting the computer, each of which I've done multiple times.

After some searching on these boards, I discovered that I needed to download a newer version of the printer software. I followed the instructions I found on this site (uninstall the original software, download the new version, and install) to a T. The new version is installed and once again, I'm able to print but not scan. I'm still getting the "another program has control" popup.

I tried calling HP support, but it's an automated system which directs you to online or tells you to hold, and then abruptly disconnects when you opt to hold.

I REALLY need to scan some stuff for work, and instead of working I've spent the past two hours simply trying to enable the scanner.

Help!!

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Update: I AM able to scan using this roundabout method:

1.  Open HP Utility

2.  Select Additional Settings

3.  Select "open embedded web server"

4.  Select the Scan tab

5.  Select Scan to computer

As far as I can tell this means that everything is hooked up correctly...right?

HP Recommended

^^^ This solved all my problems. Great work!

HP Recommended

Hi, I discovered your roundabout method an scanned as well.  However, how do I get the screen image of the scan moved to my desktop or send it in email?  I cannot find a dialog box.  Thanks for any help.

HP Recommended

I just downloaded and installed the most up to date D110 drivers/software for MAC and now I am able to scan.

HP Recommended

How did ypu get the latest drivers/software??

I love all things Apple. Period. Point. Blank.
HP Recommended

I finally figured out how to use the webscan.  Because it is wireless, it will not scan from the touchsmart screen on the computer. I do have the latest driver.  You open "Show Printer" in the HP webpages from printer icon.  Webscan will pop up in browser.  You right click (two fingers on a laptop) to show the dialog box to save.)

HP Recommended

Here is a manual work-around.  Start the application Preview (can access from Finder).  Pull down File menu, select Import from Scanner.

HP Recommended

Perfect! It worked :generic:

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.