Question

Intern
txbonfire
Message 1 of 6 (4,860 Views)
Accepted Solution

Photosmart D5160 with Windows 7; cannot print to CD/DVD

[ Edited ]

I installed my Photosmart D5160 on my new HPE180t.  I used the "HP Photosmart and Deskjet Full Feature Software and Drivers" for Windows 7 64-bit.  Before, with Windows XP and HP Photosmart Premier, I was able to print to CD/DVD.  Now, HP Photosmart Essential replaced HP Photosmart Premier, and I am unable to print to CD/DVD. 

This same issue was also documented on this forum but no resolution found: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Install-and/Photosmart-D5160/m-p/154007/highlight/tr...

I chatted with HP Tech Support online and they had me install Roxio Express Labeler for Windows Vista and run it in compatibility mode.  The result was that I was able to print to CD/DVD, but the image was shifted up.  HP Tech Support then said that I should purchase a third-party CD/DVD printing software and they suggested me calling Nero to determine which software to use.

My questions:

1. Is this a known issue, the fact that the D5160 cannot print to CD/DVD with Photosmart Essential and Windows 7?

2. If anyone else has had this issue, what did you do to resolve the issue?

3. Would another option be to purchase a new HP printer that prints to CD/DVD?  If so, which printer?

Thanks so much,

Angela

``````````````````````````````````````````
old computer: HP Pavilion PU131AV / a1050y, Windows XP MCE, SP3 32bit, Nvidia GeForce 6600, Intel Pentium 4 CPU, 3.20 GHz, 2GB of RAM
new computer: HPE-180t, Windows 7 Pro (64bit), Nvidia GeForce GT 220, Intel Core i7-930 quad-core CPU @ 2.80 GHz, 8GB of RAM
Honor Student
nncanfarelli
Message 2 of 6 (4,523 Views)

Re: Photosmart D5160 with Windows 7; cannot print to CD/DVD

Have you figured this out? I am also trying to figure out how to do this on Windows 7.

Intern
txbonfire
Message 3 of 6 (4,522 Views)

This is what I did to resolve my issue:

1. Purchase an HP Photosmart D7560

2. Use Windows Photo Viewer to print to CD/DVD

Note 1:  The only way to purchase the HP Photosmart D7560 thru HP is via their "upgrade" program, because this printer is no longer available via the HP shopping site.  DO NOT purchase the D7560 thru the HP "upgrade" program because you will receive a refurbished printer.  After speaking with the HP Resolution department, they advised me to purchase this printer from a retailer which still sells this printer.  I purchased my new HP Photosmart D7560 from newegg.com.

Note 2:  This printer (D7560) also uses the HP Photosmart Essential 3.5 when using Windows 7, as did the HP D5160.  When I installed the PE 3.5 and only had a printer installed (as opposed to a printer and HP scanner), the HP 3.5 did allow for printing to CD/DVD via HP Solution Center.  The problem (not being able to print to CD/DVD via PE 3.5) occured when I connected and installed my HP Scanjet G4050 scanner, which also utilizes HP Solution Center.

Note 3:  I believe tha the D5160 could work with Windows 7.  It may be able to print to CD/DVD if you do not have another HP printer/scanner device installed on your computer.  It may be able to print to CD/DVD by utilizing Windows Photo Viewer.

Note 4: To replace the 5 ink cartridges (XL) on the HP Photosmart D7560, it costs a total of $115.

Let me know if you have any more questions.  Bottom line...I am able to print to CD/DVD with the D7560 on Windows 7 OS but I do have to utilize the Windows Photo View program.

Take care,

Angela

``````````````````````````````````````````
old computer: HP Pavilion PU131AV / a1050y, Windows XP MCE, SP3 32bit, Nvidia GeForce 6600, Intel Pentium 4 CPU, 3.20 GHz, 2GB of RAM
new computer: HPE-180t, Windows 7 Pro (64bit), Nvidia GeForce GT 220, Intel Core i7-930 quad-core CPU @ 2.80 GHz, 8GB of RAM
Honor Student
nncanfarelli
Message 4 of 6 (4,365 Views)

Great news, I am able to print on CD/DVD with my D5160! I did it through Photo Viewer instead of the HP printer factory software. After adjusting the setting in the print dialog box for whether or not to see all options or only options for my printer, I was able to print to disc.

The only problem I am still having is that the image is shifted up dramatically! So bad that I'd rather not print to disc at all! Has anyone found a fix for this problem?

Top Student
zasped
Message 5 of 6 (3,339 Views)

I note this thread is marked as "solved".  I read to the bottom of the page and it certainly is not solved. . .  the best I read was being able to print to a disc, but the image was so mis aligned that it was "better to not print to disc at all" ! !

I have upgraded to windows7 and the same problem on my HP Photosmart all in one C5280 is "not recognised as a device that can print to disc".  This is when using the HP program or Roxio Express Labeler program.

Of course all worked perfectly previously with my old windows XP.'

C'mon HP - give us a driver up date to run our disc printing on windows7 !  

disturbed HP faithfull

Student
cadte
Message 6 of 6 (651 Views)

i found out how to fix the printing on cd\dvd

go out and buy a use laptop that runs on xp and print from there works great now , i can print perfict cd now

if your waiting on hp to come out with a new software to fix the printing on cd\dvd your looking at 2015 for it to show up

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation