Question

Student
probertobr
Message 1 of 16 (20,458 Views)
Accepted Solution

Photostmart C4400 - Problem Enum

Hi,
I'm trying to install the software HP Photosmart C4400 and I am receiving the following error message:
Problem: Enum
The installer can not access the registry key. Make sure the installer has access to the registry and click Retry to continue installation.
Registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum
Manufacturer: Microsoft

Computer: HP/Compaq nx9010
Windows XP Professional Version 2002 SP2. Pentium 4 CPU 2.40GHz, 448MB Ram.

What is the solution to this problem?
Honor Student
Minnie99
Message 2 of 16 (20,102 Views)

Re: Photostmart C4400 - Problem Enum

I have the same problem with my HP Photosmart C4580 All-in-one. It installed and works perfectly with my husband laptop with runs Vista, but when I tried to installed it on my 2 laptops, both running XP, I got this error message:

The installer cannot access this registry key. Please ensure that the installer has access to the registry and click Retry to continue installation.

Registry Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum

Manufacturer: Microsoft

I looked in the registry, found the Enum Key and did all the enabling I could (not that I understand what I have done!) but it still does not work. 

Can somebody help?

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 3 of 16 (20,123 Views)

I suggest you run a virus scan on your PC, because that registry key cannot be missing under normal circumstances. If that doesnt work, then perform a system restort\recovery and retry the installation.
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Honor Student
Minnie99
Message 4 of 16 (20,105 Views)

Hi, The registry key Enum DOES exist. This is not the problem. I have tried to change it to see if it would make a difference (enabling or authorizing various things, as per some suggestions I found in the internet), but still no result.

I just run a virus scan. No virus.

The computer is new: I have just installed everything.

Any more suggestions?

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 5 of 16 (20,094 Views)

TBH, i dont know any solutions for this issue. I've never seen it before. You could try the steps mentioned below, but may not help much.

1. Make sure you've updated XP to the latest Service Pack, at least SP2.
2. Make sure your account has Admin rights.
3. Install the softare using the latest version available for this printer from the HP website. Do pay attention if your OS is a 32-bit or 64-bit and download the correct software.
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Honor Student
Thyago_Lima
Message 6 of 16 (19,897 Views)

I got the same problem here. I just bought my HP Officejet J3600 printer and I´m trying to install the software.

I have this ENUM in the registry as well, and I have the proper rights to do anything. 

What can I do?

Top Student
Zaffiri
Message 7 of 16 (19,297 Views)

good afternoon everyone, i am Brazilian error solution they hold is resolved as follows!

When that happens the error, press CTRL SHIFT, keeping pressed, click Cancel, Setup will continue and the problem is remedied.

HP Brazil:smileyhappy:)

Pipi Zaffiri

Intern
raven_3r
Message 8 of 16 (19,261 Views)

open regedit and browse to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum

Right click on "Enum" and select "permissions". Permissions should read as follows:

Everyone - Read
System - Full Control
Administrator - Full Control

Now click the "Advanced button" and in "Permission Entries"
In the first tab (named "Permissions") and select all three usernames (ctrl + click each). Check the box marked "Replace permission entries on all child objects..." and click OK. This should now work
Honor Student
WarriorMari
Message 9 of 16 (19,129 Views)

I had the same problem while trying to install an HP Photosmart 3210 on a Windows XP.

I tried following these instructions, but they did not work.

open regedit and browse to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum

Right click on "Enum" and select "permissions". Permissions should read as follows:

Everyone - Read
System - Full Control
Administrator - Full Control

Now click the "Advanced button" and in "Permission Entries"
In the first tab (named "Permissions") and select all three usernames (ctrl + click each). Check the box marked "Replace permission entries on all child objects..." and click OK. This should now work

However, following Zaffiri's instructions, the Setup continued just fine and the printer is now installed.

When the error happens, press and hold CTRL SHIFT and click Cancel, Setup will continue and the problem is remedied.

Honor Student
Thyago_Lima
Message 10 of 16 (4,789 Views)

I called the HP support here in Brazil and they told me to format my computer, because it was an issue with the service pack 3 on windows xp.

Well, I did it. But it´s a stupid way to solve a problem like this. ANYONE could come with that line: "Format your computer and all your problemas gonna be solved!"

Everything is working fine now. But NOT thanks to HP support.

Well, thank you guys, for the help. Too bad its too late for me, since I formatted my PC already. 

xD

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation