Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 5740
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

I can not set up my printer, it is asking for a WPS Model Pin. Where can I find this Pin or what is the Pin Number.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi! @Kelly1027, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Community!

I understand you need to know how to retrieve the WPS password on your printer.

I'd like to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Please provide the product number of your printer and operating system you are running on your PC to assist you better.

Try the steps recommended below.

WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) – WPS has two modes to connect devices together over a wireless connection. One is called "pushbutton" and the other is called "PIN". Pushbutton is by far the easiest method. We will describe how to connect using the WPS push button method, but not the PIN method.

For instructions on starting WPS on your printer consult your printer's manual. However, there are some conditions that need to be met in order to use WPS pushbutton mode:

Both your printer and wireless router must support WPS pushbutton mode. Consult your printer and wireless router manuals.
The wireless router must have a physical WPS pushbutton available.
Your network must use WPA or WPA2 security. Most WPS wireless routers will not connect using the WPS method if WEP or no security is used.
Most WPS wireless routers will not connect using the WPS method if you are using the manufacturer’s default for the network name and no security.
To connect your wireless printer to your wireless router using WPS:

Start the WPS pushbutton mode on your printer. 
For instructions on starting WPS on your printer, consult your printer's manual.
Within 2 minutes, press the WPS button on your router.

• You may also read our Knowledgebase article here. Windows 10 is asking for a WPS PIN?
  • There's also a support document that helps with Wireless/WPS issues. It can be found here.  An 'Enter WPS PIN' message displays during HP printer setup
  •  Last but not least, this article can help to know more information about Wireless printing, especially in this section. 

• WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) – WPS has two modes to connect devices together over a wireless connection. One is called "pushbutton" and the other is called "PIN". Pushbutton is by far the easiest method. We will describe how to connect using the WPS pushbutton method, but not the PIN method

🎥Troubleshoot a Wireless Printer Connection | HP Printers | @HPSupport

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

The WPS button would be on your router if your router supports WPS, press and hold the WPS button for a few seconds.  Alternately there may be a WPS PIN number on the label, perhaps on the bottom of the router.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Where is my wps pin on my hp 5745 printer

HP Recommended

@ttvic wrote:

where is my wps pin # on my office jet hp printer 5745 model

See my post above.  The WPS pin will likely be on a label on your router.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

HP Recommended

I don't have a router so where is pin on my hpenvy 4520

HP Recommended
If you don't have a router, you don't need a PIN.
HP Recommended

My wife and I both have HP ENVY PCs with windows 10.  She has a Brother's printer and I have an HP ENVY 5660.   We are on a common WIFI house network with a UBEE modem / Router provided by Spectrum (formally Time Warner).

I can send to my printer and her Brothers.  She can send to her Brothers printer but not to  my Envy 5660.  When I try to install it on her computer I'm asked for the WPS number of the printer (no where to be found but I did learn that the printer was refurbished by HP.... I bought it directly from HP. Surprise!).  

I have disabled the network adapter on her PC...and reinstalled it.  I still get the same screen asking to

enter the WPS number of the printer.  I also tried to install it using the disc that came with the printer.

And as an aside,  why is windows asking for this on her PC but not mine?

Help.

HP Recommended

Hello, @jonp725 

Thanks for reaching out! I'd like to help 🙂

The WPS is required to connect the printer to the network. First off, Is the printer connected to the network already? If not connected to the network try the steps below to connect to the network:

1. Press the Power button to turn on the printer, if it is not already turned on.

2. On the printer control panel, touch the Wireless icon (). The Wireless Summary screen displays.

3. Touch the Settings icon (), and then touch Wireless Settings.

4. Touch Wireless Setup Wizard, and then follow the instructions on the control panel to connect the printer to your wireless network.

Once the printer is connected to the network, go to your wife's PC and follow the steps below to install the printer:

• Unplug the USB cable from the printer and computer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Envy printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Now click on http://hp.care/2oNpJQq to download and install the printer drivers.
  • Select "Wireless" in the connection window and follow the on-screen instructions.

Let me know if that works!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hello,

I am in now way an expert here.  Below is the information that came with my router; but in short, I was told to use the PIN on the router as the WPS and the PIN NUMBER is located on the router.  By the way, you can change the PIN NUMBER on your router.  I hope this is the information you are looking for and that is solves your problem.  If the information is wrong, I'm sorry - like I said, I'm no expert!

There are several ways you can connect to a wireless network using WPS:

• First, press the WPS button on your router to turn on the discovery of new devices. Then, go to your laptop, tablet or smartphone and select the network you want to connect to. Your device gets automatically connected to the wireless network without entering the network password.
  • You may have devices like wireless printers or wireless range extenders with their own WPS button that you can use for making very quick connections. Connect them to your wireless network by pressing the WPS button on the router and then on those devices. You don't have to input any data during this process. WPS automatically sends the network password and these devices remember it for future use. They will be able to connect to the same network in the future without you having to use the WPS button again.
  • A third method involves the use of an eight-digit PIN. All routers with WPS enabled have a PIN code that's automatically generated and it cannot be changed by users. You can learn this PIN from the WPS configuration page on your router. Some devices without a WPS button but with WPS support will ask for that PIN. If you enter it, they authenticate themselves and connect to the wireless network.
  • A fourth and last method also involves using an eight-digit PIN. Some devices without a WPS button but with WPS support will generate a client PIN. You can then enter this PIN in your router's wireless configuration panels and the router will use it to add that device to the network.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.