Question

Student
Unrealer
Message 1 of 5 (5,020 Views)

Print Cartridge in right stall not supported. Please help.

Hello, I have a huge issue with my printer. When i turn it on, it says on the display the fallowing: Print Cartridge in right stall not supported. The printer is HP Photosmart C4180 All-In-One. It was working fine and one day I turned it on and the message appeared. I have tried to clean everything, the cartridge connections, the porinter connections, nothing helps, I even refilled the cartridge (which was half full) that didn't either. Any suggestions?
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 5 (5,003 Views)

Re: Print Cartridge in right stall not supported. Please help.

It sounds like you need a new color cartridge.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Regents Professor
DexterM
Message 3 of 5 (4,987 Views)

Bob, the right cartridge is the black cartridge, right?

Also, refilling the cartridges also results in such messages, so i suggest you dont refill them in the future.
----------------------------
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with \'Accept as Solution\' if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
I am an ex-HP Employee.
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 5 (4,978 Views)

Hi DexterM -

You are correct, my memory was mirror imaged.  The black cartrdige is on the right....

The message will occur if the printer does not correctly read the ID of the cartrdige.  This can happen if the contacts are dirty or if there is an electrical issue with the cartrdige.  The printer cannot tell if the cartridge has been refilled, but refilling can cause problems if concuctive ink gets under the electrical flex, or pressure is applied that corrupts the electrical integrity of the die.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Printing/Imaging

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Tutor
aydu
Message 5 of 5 (4,967 Views)

There is some miscommunication between the ink cartridge and the printer.  Question is, which one?

I'd try resetting the printer first, to see if that clears things up.  Instructions for a factory reset are all over these boards.

If this fails, you're likely going to have to try a new ink cartridge.  It that clears the error, you might be able to have the initial cartridge replaced under the cartridge warranty.

If, after trying a new cartridge, you still have the error, you're likely looking at a printer issue.  Hopefully it is still under warranty.  If not, did you have another printer model that you like?  You're likely better off buying something new than trying to pay for a repair.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation