Question

Student
mayfairfun
Message 1 of 5 (2,217 Views)

Printer Cartridge, HP EXPIRED?

Dear HP,

I have a been an HP customer for over 20 years. All of my homes are equipped with numerous HP printers and peripherals. I am also the founder and current CEO of numerous businesses spread across the Middle East and Europe and have always insisted on integrating HP printers into our IT systems. I have receipts, serial numbers and even photographic evidence to back these claims.

Through numerous hours of online research regarding the expiration of printer cartridges, their usability and HP's stance, it has become clear that  I will no longer support HP as a company.

Due to my travels I generally do not have the opportunity or time to worry about the different expiration dates of the numerous cartridges in use. Seeing as most of these printers are in pristine condition, in a secured room at an optimal room temperature;  from my YEARS of experience (and 99% of online reports) these cartridges work perfectly and continue to do so , even far past the provided "expiration" date (especially when still FULL).

Through my personal research and data that is readily-available online, I have come to the conclusion that HPs printer cartridge "expiration" dates are entirely cosmetic and are only in place to bully those who don't know any better into purchasing numerous overpriced replacement cartridges.

To provide the user with even more ridicule, Hewlett Packard STILL allows these cartridges to be used, yet limits their printing ability to a single page before the user has to re-confirm that they are aware of the expiration. On average this process takes up to 48 seconds on a high-end Windows 7 computer, which makes printing anything over 2 pages entirely impractical.

This greatly limits both, my choice and freedom as a customer. This stands contrary to everything HP had previously stood for.

THE EXPIRATION SYSTEM BENEFITS NOBODY BUT HP ITSELF.

I will be sure to forward a report of my experience to all of my colleagues, tech blogs and friends. Hopefully this will provide them with an adequate warning.

Best Regards
Mayfair

Tutor
rogerfgay
Message 2 of 5 (2,170 Views)

Re: Printer Cartridge, HP EXPIRED?

Agreed. I'm sitting here right now unable to copy in black-n-white. I've been doing B&W only for a while. With completely full color cartridges, I'm told that a color is empty and I can't use the printer (in B&W) until it's changed because the quality of the output "might not" be good. So, I changed it with a spare I have from a big pack of all colors. Guess, what. I'm told that cartridge is out of date, so the printer refuses to do anything until I buy a new one.

This is just nasty.

Honor Student
donaldalschuler
Message 3 of 5 (1,950 Views)

I have six cartridges for the HP c7250 which have expired. These were back up cartridges when the cartridges in the copy ran out of ink. I paid for new cartridges and they do not work. And the printer will not operate because my cartridges have expired.

This is unacceptable. I have not been able to reach anyone at HP.

When i purchased the copier and the extra cartridges I was not informed that the cartridges will expire before they were used up.

If I can not get satisfaction ( and so far I have not) I will not purchase HP copiers again.

Sad to say. I have several other HP copiers in my office. So long HP.

Don Alschuler

Associate Dean
wb2001
Message 4 of 5 (1,942 Views)

donald,

Read this about the internal CMOS battery: http://www.out-of-warranty.com/ink-system-failure-error-0xc18a-hp/ 

Let me know if you find it.

The Law of Effect states that positive reinforcement increases the probability of a behavior being repeated. (B.F.Skinner). You toss me points, and I perform better.

To say THANK YOU, press the white "thumbs up" on the left, to render a KUDO.
Please click Accept as Solution, just to the right of my reply if your problem is solved.
You can render both Solution and KUDO

HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB WIN7-64bit
Custom Asus P8P67 board, I7-2600k, WIN7 Pro 64bit, GTX670 2GB, 16GB RAM, 750W OCZ, 1T HD SATA 6Gb/s
HP m9200t CTO,Win7 Pro 32 bit. ASUS 550Ti 2GB, Rosewill 630W
HP m8100eCTO WIN7 Ultimate 32bit. XFX5670 1GB, Rosewill 530W.
Printer -- OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 5 of 5 (1,939 Views)

donaldalschuler wrote:

I have six cartridges for the HP c7250 which have expired. These were back up cartridges when the cartridges in the copy ran out of ink. I paid for new cartridges and they do not work. And the printer will not operate because my cartridges have expired.

This is unacceptable. I have not been able to reach anyone at HP.

When i purchased the copier and the extra cartridges I was not informed that the cartridges will expire before they were used up.

If I can not get satisfaction ( and so far I have not) I will not purchase HP copiers again.

Sad to say. I have several other HP copiers in my office. So long HP.

Don Alschuler

While you may find ways to defeat the ink expiration, this may not be a good idea.  Ink expiration is enforced in only a few models that have permanant printheads.  If old ink thickens and becomes more viscous due to evaporation over the several years before expiration it can damage the printheads or ink delivery system of the printer.  (Search for "ink system failure" to see the results....).

AFAIK there are no current HP printer models that enforce ink expiration.  See this page for information on models that are affected.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation