Question

Tutor
Tidge
Message 1 of 9 (162 Views)

Printer Failure

Hi all,   I own a two year old Photosmart B209a.  It stopped printing black.  I changed cartridges and went thru all the recommended cleaning procedures without success.  So, I uninstalled and reinstalled the printer program CD.  This process includes making a 4x6 test print which came out perfect.  Problem solved?  No!  When I made a 8.5x11 print, the black was still missing.  This happens for the same color calibration chart printed from Photoshop or for the same document printed from Word.  It sounds crazy.  Can this possibly be a hardware problem or is it a programming failure.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Tidge

Grad Student
Blanco474
Message 2 of 9 (150 Views)

Re: Printer Failure

Hello,

I am sorry to hear that you are having a problem with your HP Photosmart Plus All-in-One Printer - B209a. This printer has two systems to print, one is call the print head and the other one is the ink supplies, the last ones are the ones that snap into the print head.

Your print head may be clogged for the black color and it may need to be clean, you can follow the steps in this document (click on the link) to try to solve your problem, follow all the steps since it has good information about how to check the level of ink in your product as well as how to ensure the ink supplies have the label removed so ink can flow to the print head properly:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01770033&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3777182&tmp...

At the end of the document you can see some other options if these steps do not solve your problem.

I am an HP employee, Printer/All-in-One Expert.
Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star. Please mark the post that solves your problem as an Accepted Solution so other forum users can utilize the solution.
Tutor
Tidge
Message 3 of 9 (147 Views)

Thank you for your reply.  Maybe I did not make myself clear.  The print head is not clogged because it prints just fine when printing a 4x6 image.  I am not anxious to go thru the cleaning process again unless you can tell me that by some magic, the printer head is clean for 4x6 printing but clogs up for 8.5x11 printing.  I will look forward to your reply.  Tidge

Grad Student
Blanco474
Message 4 of 9 (144 Views)

Hello Tidge,

You are right, maybe  I was not clear on my reply. The reason why you are seeing that the unit can print a 4x6 photo perfectly is because in this case the unit uses only the color ink and not the blank one. the color ink is a dye based ink while the black one is pigment,  the printer never mixes these inks since they are not really compatible while printing a picture (which I assume you are printing a picture on the 4x6 size media). 

So this is why I suggested to clean the print head since the problem is only the black ink. Let me know if this was helpful.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star. Please mark the post that solves your problem as an Accepted Solution so other forum users can utilize the solution.
Tutor
Tidge
Message 5 of 9 (140 Views)

I am using a Color Calibration Chart to test the printing. In the 4x6 print, the pure black square comes out a rich black. In the 8.5x11 print, the same block is white. How is this possible if the black head is plugged? Tidge
Grad Student
Blanco474
Message 6 of 9 (137 Views)

Hi Tidge,

This is strange and it is out of my knowledge, I will look if someone have an explanation to this.

Question: but if you print a text page or something else, did the printer worl fine? is the problem happening only with this calibration chart you are using?

Tutor
Tidge
Message 7 of 9 (135 Views)

While waiting for your reply, I have been experimenting. I thought maybe the paper surface had something to do with it. So, I tried a 8.5x11 print of the Calib. Chart on glossy photo paper & it worked. But then I tries a Xmas letter with photos on 8.5x11 glossy paper and it did not work. So, i decided to follow your advice and pull the print head again & give it a really DEEP clean using hot water. When I reinstalled it, the alignment print came out OK where it had failed before. That was encouraging. So, I printed the Calib. Chart on plain paper & it came out OK as well. So, until I have a chance to run more trials, it looks like things are working. But, in the mean time, somehow the wireless connection for this printer to my PC has disappeared & I have no idea on how to get that back. I am using my laptop for these experiments. Some help there would also be appreciated. Thanks, Tidge
Grad Student
Blanco474
Message 8 of 9 (133 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello Tridge,

I am glad that your printer is getting to work fine. I forgot to mention that this printer has a sensor that can ,in someways and environments, detect the type of media that you are using, this is to prevent putting too much ink on the wrong media or mixing in (as I explained before).

Now, regarding the wireless connection, my first though is that since you had to turn the printer off and now on, the IP address of the printer (if it was not a static one) got reassigned and the printer got a new IP address,  but I would suggest to follow the steps in this document according your operative system to restablish the connection:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02282624&tmp_task=setupCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&la...

Tutor
Tidge
Message 9 of 9 (124 Views)

Thank you Blanko. Your point that the B209a printer has a sensor that can vary the amount of ink applied based on the paper surface is the only suggestion that makes any technical sense to explain the printer's behavour. No one else came up with that little gem.
Also, Thank you for the web sight address for reestablishing my wireless connection. I will work on that tomorrow. It is a good thing that I am retired because, keeping computers running is a full time job. Tidge
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation