Question

Top Student
amita1974
Message 1 of 8 (3,596 Views)
Accepted Solution

Printer 'Officejet 6500 E710a-f (Network)' - status becomes "not connected" on ePrint center

Hi,

HP printer model 'Fax - HP Officejet 6500 E710a-f (Network)', connected via LAN to the home network and then to the internet using home router.

Everything works fine, but after a while - the printer changes its status to "not connected" on ePrint center service account.

In order to solve it I need to turn the power of the printer off and on.

Restarting te router does not help so the problem is probably not related to any router.

The main purpose of using the ePrint center is to have a way to print to the printer from a remote location, and if I need to arrive to the printer in order to restat it - then it is useless...

Any ideas ?

Thanks,

-- Amit.

Teacher
Felice
Message 2 of 8 (3,579 Views)

Re: Printer 'Officejet 6500 E710a-f (Network)' - status becomes "not connected" on ePrint

Hi Amita1974,
did you alredy updated the firmware ? If not, can you please do it?
I hope this will help..
Best regards,
F.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Message 3 of 8 (3,575 Views)

Re: Printer 'Officejet 6500 E710a-f (Network)' - status becomes "not connected" on ePrint

Hi Felice.

The printer is new at our huose.

Few days a go, just some hours after I connected the printer to the network - I got e message telling me about new FW.

I accepted to download and install, and it is now updated with FW version number:

SYM2FN1126AR

(I obtain this FW version number from the GUI management printer page).

So I belive that I have latest FW version - please double check me on this.

Still the problem happened with this FW.

I am not sure if the problem also occured when I had les updated FW version or not.

Thanks,

-- Amit.

Teacher
Felice
Message 4 of 8 (3,567 Views)

Hello Amit,
Thanks for the information provided.

The firmware you mentioned is the latest available.

I would appreciate that you try the following:

1. Open a new Web browser window.
  2. Type the IP address located on the Network Configuration Page in the address bar of the Web browser, using http:// to begin the address.
  3. Press Enter. The EWS opens
  4. In the network section Click Wired (802.3) , and then click the IPv4 Configuration
  5. Assign the product a static IP address (E.g. 192.168.0.210);
  6. Add the following DNSs:
     8.8.8.8 – 8.8.4.4 or 208.67.222.222 - 208.67.220.220.

Please let me know if it works for you.

Best Regards,
F.

Message 5 of 8 (3,550 Views)

Hello Felice,

I tried to configure static IP and DNS as you suggested, and for about 5 minutes this did not help - the configuration I used was

------------

IPv4

configured by Manual

IP Address 192.168.1.8

Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway 192.168.1.2

DNSv4

Configured By Manual

Preferred DNS Address 208.67.222.222

Alternate DNS Address 208.67.220.220

WINS

Configured By Unconfigured

Primary WINS Server 0.0.0.0

Secondary WINS Server 0.0.0.0

--------------

and after 5 minutes that the configuration was active the status in eprint center was still not connected.

I did not try to test the second set of DNS servers - starting with 8.8. -- if you think that it can still help let me know.

If you think that using the configuration that I tried proved that this is not a DNS server issue - we can try debugging new ideas.

After 5 minutes with the new configuration - I rebooted the printer and it could connect to eprint center in a minute. so this proves that when the printer wakes up it can reach eprint center after not being able to reach it for days.

Is it possible that the home wireless router overwrites the DNS that we configure for the printer ?

anyway, if it does - how can we explain that the printer can connect eprint center on powerup and that after a while it gets disconnected from eprint center, and it cant recover without reset from the problem ?

Any new ideas ?

Thanks,

Amit.

Teacher
Felice
Message 6 of 8 (3,547 Views)

Hello Amit,

Thanks for the information provided and for the tests performed.

I would appreciate that you follow the steeps below:

- From the control panel:

SETUP> Preferences> Energy Save Mode: On/Off

If not already done assign a static IP (E.g. 192.168.1.8) to the Officejet 6500;

This will avoid the router DHCP lease time will change the AIO IP address.

Please open the following the ports of AIO IP address from router:

- TCP and UDP: 5222, 5223 and 5353

- TCP: 80, 8080, 443.

Please let me know if it works for you.

Best Regards,

F.

Message 7 of 8 (3,529 Views)

Hi Felice,

I dd not continue doing anymore changes as now after rebooting the printer from the last change (assign static IP and static DNS address) the printer is connected OK to eprint service.

I will give it few more days to see if we solved the problem or if it still exist.

about your new notes,

1.I have set the IP of the printer to static and also the DNS as you suggested.

The DHCP of the , as router is still defined to give the MAC of the printer the same IP, so anyway what happened is that the major change is with the DNS. after rebooting the printer - the printer got connected and now it seems that it is still connected for about a full day. crossing fingers and I will update later on during the week.

2. It is not clear to me what is AIO - that you wrote.

3. If there will be a problem of disconnecting without ability to self recover - I will open ports at the router - as you suggested - but it is not clear to me how the printer is connecting at first of it need to pass traffic via closed ports ?

Thanks,

-- Amit.

Top Student
amita1974
Message 8 of 8 (3,495 Views)

Hi Felice,

I want to update.

For about a week the printer stays connected to ePrint Center and did not disconnect..

This means that your first suggestion of changing the IP and the DNS (probably DNS was the problem) to static values was the way to solve the problem, bu in addition  - I had to reboot the printer in order for these changes to take affect - as even though they marked as active, until I rebooted the printer - it did not connect to ePrint center, and after doing the change AND REBOOTING the printer - it got connected and stayed connected.

Thanks for your fast responses and care.

-- Amit.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation