Question

Honor Student
MeepMeep
Message 1 of 4 (545 Views)

Printer driver for XP 64-bit

I have XP 64-bit and a 4620 officejet printer.  HP seems to have no driver for this combination.

Does HP have such a driver but just not on the Drivers support page?  Or a third party driver that's free or cheap?  Or can I try installing a generic printer driver?

If a generic driver, I want to set up the printer to use my wireless network.  I can connect the printer temporarily with USB cable but I want to go wireless after that.

Provost
pcwizard
Message 2 of 4 (535 Views)

Re: Printer driver for XP 64-bit

Hi MeepMeep,

This printer doesn't support Win XP 64-Bit. You may be able to install the 990c driver to get print functionallity.

Follow the instructions below.

1. Open devices and printer

2. Click Add a printer

3. Click Add a local printer

4. From the Use existing port select the USB option, and then click next

5. Click on the Windows Update button to get all support window 7 drivers updated

6. Once update is finished. Click on HP from left menu, and then select the Deskjet 990c from the right menu, and then click next. 

7. Follow the remaining instructions to complete the installation. 

Once you have the 990c printer added make sure it is the default printer, and then try printing to your Officejet 4620 printer using this driver. Let me know if you have the same issue?

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Honor Student
MeepMeep
Message 3 of 4 (528 Views)

Thanks for the pointer.  I won't be trying it immediately, but I will at some time and I'll post the results.

In the meantime, can you do something so that the phone support people know about the lack of XP 64 drivers for several printer models, and some way of doing a workaround, such as your own suggestion (assuming that it works).  Better yet, could you suggest that HP just go and write XP 64 drivers for all your printers.  I don't suppose it's that hard to do.

Provost
pcwizard
Message 4 of 4 (523 Views)

Hi MeepMeep,

Thank you for the update. Let me know how it goes?

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation