Printer shows "offline" (15517 Views)
Student
jperk300
Message 1 of 7 (15,517 Views)

Printer shows "offline"

All of the sudden I cannot print and the printer shows "offline"   Printer has been turned off, unplugged and no change.  When turned on there are two red lights flashing, Second from start button and last on on right - arrow down

HP deskjet D4200

Teacher
goes2eleven
Message 2 of 7 (15,503 Views)

Re: Printer shows "offline"

Hello,

Please try the print diagnostic utility this resolves many common printing issues including the printer being offline.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&lang=en&softwareitem=mp-91788-1

- goes211

Though I work for HP, My posts express MY opinion, and not those of HP.

"Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?" - Nigel Tufnel
Intern
Bob101345
Message 3 of 7 (15,503 Views)

1) Go to Start on bottom left

2) Click on it, and you will see "Printers and Faxes" (click on it)

3) On the top left of the window, click on files, and follow down to "Use Printer Offline"  (click on it, and it will change to "Use Printer Online")

Student
campfirewood
Message 4 of 7 (15,234 Views)

We have an Officejet Pro L7680 All-in-one

If your printer is showing "offline" when you check 'Printers & Faxes' under Windows, the cause may be an out-of-date print cartridge.

Some HP printers require that the printer cartridges be up-to-date, and have not passed the expiration date printed on the label, which the printer reads electronically.

Open the cartridge door, pull out each of the cartridges, and check the dates.

If any of the cartridges are past the expiration date, replace them.

Your printer should immediately return to an "online" status.

The printer will also immediately print any spooled/pending documents, so before you get the printer back, you may want to cancel some of the duplicate documents that may be waiting in the queue.

Student
GDG_DBA
Message 5 of 7 (13,978 Views)

The problem with the idea of replacing the printer cartridge with a new one is that I could not find cartridges for my L7780 at the store.  When I called HP support, they informed me that my printer is concidered OBSOLETE by HP, so HP is not making cartridges for it any longer. 

This printer is not but 3 years old!!!!!  It was also a very expensive multi function printer with some high end features.  Now it's about as good as a brick. 

Based on HP's lack of support for the products they make and sell.  I can say I will not be purchasing another HP product.  And I buy alot of them. 

• The laptop I am typing on is HP.
  • My Kid's laptop is HP.
  • I've owned numerous HP printers.
  • The servers I purchase for my Employer have been HP.

But if this is what you get, I'm done with them.

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 6 of 7 (13,954 Views)

Hello GDG_DBA

I am sorry to hear about your experience. I am not sure if you still have your printer or if you are interested, but if you are, HP has a tool called HP SureSupply. You can put in your printer model and it will show you all the choices of ink for your printer and you can proceed to purchase them. Again I can understand if you are upset I am just trying to help. Either way I wish you luck.

HP SureSupply

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
Student
dsegar
Message 7 of 7 (5,471 Views)

Well, I have just run into this little HP trap.  I have a perfectly functional HP Office jet Pro L7680.  However, I have ink cartridges that are about 18 months old (from purchase at Cosco).  I still have several of these unused.  The printer has now decied that even though I won the printer and the ink, I can not print with this unit becasue the expired ink "might" cause damage that would void the warranty.  Never mind that the warranty on this printer has long ago expired.

What am I goint to do about this - thor wthe printer ouit and NEVER purchase any item from HP again.  Thisis the ultimate in customer rip off.  Thanks HP.  You used to be a good US company - alas, no more.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation