Printer won't install on new PC (1546 Views)
Honor Student
NJ75
Message 1 of 4 (1,546 Views)

Printer won't install on new PC

Hi

I have just brought a new HP computer and am having problems installing my HP Deskjet 1660 printer.

I am using windows 7.

I have installed the software from the disk which is supposed to be windows 7 compatible, and it came up with a warning saying windows 7 detected, accepted that, and then it told me to turn the printer on and connect the USB cable, which I did, but sadly it just won't recognise the printer.

I have tried uninstalling the printer software and reinstalling the drivers from the HP website directly, still nothing, have tried different USB port and a cable from a PC I know works.

Can anyone think of anything else I can try?

Thanks

Nic

Grad Student
Kazman
Message 2 of 4 (1,492 Views)

Re: Printer won't install on new PC

I am not sure if this will solve your issue, but I would try to start over.  This is going to get somewhat long.

I am going to assume that you have the printer connected to your PC still, if not, please connect it.

Check Device Manager for the printer, then remove the device.

1. Click the Start Button
  2. Right Click on Computer and left click Manage
  3. When the Computer Management window opens, left click Device Manager.
  4. Under Serial Bus Controllers you should see your printer, it may hav a warning.  It may also appear under another location.
  5. Unplug your Printer USB cable and it should disappear.  Plug it back in and it should reappear.
  6. Right Click on your printer and select Uninstall.
  7. Once complete, unplug the printer and if prompted to reboot, don't do it yet.

Remove the Printer Driver

1. Click the Start Button
  2. Click Devices and Printers
  3. RIght Click the Printer and select Remove Device
  4. Click the Start Button
  5. In "Search Programs and files" type "Notepad" and hit enter.
  6. In Notepad, select File Print.
  7. In the Select Printer area, Right Click on white space next to the last printer listed, there should be  small menu pop up that has "Server Properties." Select Server Properties.
  8. Click the driver tab.
  9. Select the printer driver.
  10.  Click Remove.  Select "Remove Driver and Driver Package" and click OK.
  11. Remove the USB cable to the printer from your PC.
  12. Reboot.
  13. Turn Off your Printer.

After Rebooting...

1) Go to the driver page for the printer.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=3811075&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us

2) Select your version of Win7.  This link below is for 64bit Win7

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3811...

3) Expand Driver - Product Installation Software

4) Click On HP DeskJet Full Feature Software and Drivers

5) Click Download

6) Execute the installer when the download completes.

From this point, wait for it to prompt you to connect the device.    Turn on the printer and let it come to Ready.  Then connect the USB cable to the PC.

I have had luck in the past using the process as it causes the device to PlugNPlay again and allows for a clean driver install. 

Kazman
I am an HP Employee

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
Honor Student
NJ75
Message 3 of 4 (1,474 Views)

Thanks for your response, unfortunately it still doesn't work.

It tells me to power on my printer and connect the USB cable which I do, but it doesn't recognise anything is plugged in to the USB, I have tried a new cable and different USB ports and still nothing.

My printer doens't appear in any lists.

Anything else that I could try?

Thanks

Nicola

Grad Student
Kazman
Message 4 of 4 (1,447 Views)

Hi Nicola,

A few more things to try.   Some of these steps you may have already done and they will take some time.
I have not been able to identify a direct set of steps that is assured to work.  I want to provide you with as many things that I would try.

The last question....Have you verified that your USB ports on the PC work correctly by using another USB device such as a thumb drive, phone or other device?

If you hear the Windows "Connect Sound" when you connect the device, Windows recognized that a device was connected.  If the "Connect Sound" is not heard...then Windows didn't recognize the device was connected which could be the device or the PC.  You may consider contacting HP Support regarding the PC.

Assuming you do hear the connect sound:

1) Remove everything associated with the printer via Start->Control Panel->Programs And Features

Open Programs and Features and Uninstall everything associated with the printer.
Go through the steps under Remove the Printer Driver from my previous post one more time.

This is slightly out of date, but contains a couple things to review.  The section I reviewed is "Troubleshooting port issue"
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpl10904

This should make sure that everything was uninstalled.

2) Complete Restart

Shutdown your computer and unplug it from the wall.  If using a laptop, remove the battery and the power cable.
Unplug the printer from the wall and disconnect the USB from the PC.
Let both sit for 10min.  This is to fully reset your PC hardware and printer hardware by ensuring all power is dissipated.
Plug the PC back into the wall, boot and login.
Plug the printer back in directly to a wall and not a power strip, turn on.

Use the driver downloaded from HP and not the disk.  Plug the printer in when it says to connect it.

If it doesn't install a couple more things to try.

Is there a DOT4 port installed?

Click Start
Click Devices and Printers
Click Add A Printer
Click Add a Local Printer
Next to "Use an existing port", is there a DOT4 or Other USB Port listed such as a Composite USB?
If you find a USB Port such as DOT4 or a composite, you can try selecting that port, then stepping through adding the printer manually. When you get to the screen to select your device, click have Disk and use explorer to locate the installation directory from the downloaded driver install.
If it installs, you may have to do and update on the driver.

Another thing to try if you have a USB Hub:

Plug the hub into your PC and let it initialize, then plug the printer into the hub.  Do you hear the "Connect Sound".  If it works this way, disconnect from the hub and then reconnect to a different port on the PC, preferably one you have not tried yet.

If you have USB3.0 ports, try a USB2.0 port.

Also, if you could send you PC model number that would be helpful.  Then I can look at what ports you have and look for anything that may be related to the PC itself if you decide not to call HP Support.

Let me know how it goes.

Kazman
I am an HP Employee

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation