Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I just purchased the HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Premium. The printer prints fine on copy paper, but when I put in HP Premium Plus Photo paper, the printer says the tray is out of paper. I put the whole box into the printer, and it can't seem to be able to pull the paper into the printer.

Can someone give me ideas on how to fix this problem?

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem! Printer is 2 days old. It's going back just as quick if this doesn't have an answer.

HP Recommended

Possible Solution:

Okay, I came upon some information from the HP website about an "Out of Paper" message display and they advised to restart the printer and print out a Printer Status Report. I know this sounds funny, but I did exactly that. I turned off my printer and waited 60 seconds. I had about 20 sheets of plain paper in both trays. Then I turned on my printer and I let it warm up. Then I pushed the right arrow on the LCD panel and touched on "Set Up." Then I scrolled down to "Reports." I touched on "Reports" and then I touched on "Printer Status Report." The printer printed the status report. Then I put in my photo paper in tray one (I only had about 5 sheets) and printed a photo - and sure enough, the photo printed. I have printed two or three more photos, and they all printed. The other instructions I would have tried were to clean the rollers - but they should not be dirty since I have only owned the printer for a few days.

I hope this works for anyone who is experiencing this problem. I am going to moderate this to see if it lasts.

Let me know if this worked for you.

Kelly  

HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem... and unfortunately, Arsfool's suggestion didn't work.

I can't say I'm impressed. I unboxed the printer today.

HP Recommended

If you are following these guidelines:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02890475

And still have the problem, then I would contact tech support at 800-474-6836.

007OHMSS

I was a support engineer for HP.

If the advice resolved the situation, please mark it as a solution. Thank you.
HP Recommended

Didn't work. ....and really, the only support you can offer is how to load paper?

HP Recommended
Go into printer properties, paper tray and deselect auto and change to tray 1. That fixed our problem of not feeding photo paper
HP Recommended

Here is what I did and it worked. First I bought a lighter weight photo paper 66lb-250g/m2). That worked for about 6 months and then it wouldn't even pull the lighter paper in . Then as a last resort with a Q tip I put belt dressing (yes, like for a car) on the rubber rollers and rubber belt in the back. IT WORKED it pulls in photo paper fine now.  I don't know about the long term results because I just did this yesterday but it's been working great so far!!

HP Recommended

The OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus is a dud and will not print on photo paper. The tech in this forum claims to be with HP but I suspect he/she is with a competitor because the info it gave out was dumb and insulting. Loading paper should not result in this defect. I'm giving HP one call to fix this otherwise it's back to Costco in the morning for a refund and bye-bye to HP forever.

HP Recommended

This did work for me...unpluging and restarting, printing report and then printing photo.  However, when I placed the photo paper on top of some plain paper, a sheet of plain paper was picked-up midway through printing. I had to remove all the plain paper and just insert one sheet of photo paper into the tray. At least it works, if in only a frusrtrating way.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.