Question

Honor Student
DBrown
Message 1 of 3 (832 Views)

Printing to OfficeJet R60 Under Windows 7

I have made two upgrades in the last six months. Previously I was running XP on a computer that came with a parallel port.  I could print and scan on my OfficeJet R60.

First I bought a new computer which did not have a parallel port and also moved from XP to Vista.  I was able to print on my OfficeJet R60 via the IEEE 1284 card.  I was unable to scan although I believe my card was IEEE 1284C compatible.  I did not pursue this problem very hard.

The second upgrade was to Windows 7 from Vista.  I have been unable to find a driver that works in Windows 7.  HP Support tried to help me but ultimately gave up because of the parallel port issue and the lack of success.  They guided me through trying drivers for a PSC 950 as well as the one I had tried for the R60.  I removed all printer drivers and queues from my machine and started to install drivers from a clean situation.  I was able to send a document to the printer.  It would print a few garbage characters in the upper left corner and the job would then hang in the print queue with a status of "Error -- printing."

Can you recommend a solution?

If there is not an easier solution, I would be happy to connect the printer to a print server on my network if I thought that would work.  I do not own a print server at present.  I would like to find one that will allow me to scan as I did with my old XP computer.

P.S.  I posted this same message earlier but on the wrong board, so I am reposting on the printing board.

Teacher
goes2eleven
Message 2 of 3 (828 Views)

Re: Printing to OfficeJet R60 Under Windows 7

DBrown,

Awesome that you are keeping the R60 alive.  You are correct about the print server idea. A print server like a JetDirect EX (external) would allow you to print over the network AND it would also allow you to scan via the JetDirect Web Server.   You basically type the JD's URL into a web browser and then there will be a tab on the web page that will allow you to scan.  It is a basic scan solution, but it works.

before you go look for a new or used JD EX, can I ask you about your attempts to get the parallel port working?  Have you been able to print to other devices through that IEEE 1284.4 card that you installed in Win7?  If nothing else prints or works through it then it sounds like that is the reason you are not able to get the printer going.  Once the card is up an working, you can run ADD Printer from the Devices and Printers control panel.  Select a local printer and point it to the LPT1 port (or whatever one the card is setup to use) and then instead of picking a driver from the HP list you will need to grab the OfficeJet R60 driver from Windows Update button.

Let me know what happens

-GOES211 

Though I work for HP, My posts express MY opinion, and not those of HP.

"Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?" - Nigel Tufnel
Honor Student
DBrown
Message 3 of 3 (823 Views)

Re: Printing to OfficeJet R60 Under Windows 7

After I installed the IEEE 1284 card, I was able to print on the R60 using Vista.  Printing worked just fine.  When I ran the Windows 7 upgrade disk, I was warned by the software that I would likely have a problem with the R60.  Since then I have tried many variations on installing drivers off the HP website.

I would like to keep the R60 going because it is a good printer, and ink cartridges last a relatively long time.  I really don't print very much.

At one time I had a problem because the scanning light was not putting out enough heat (or light) so the machine would not allow the scan (or copy) to take place.  I replaced the bulb after reading some good postings on the web -- soldering was required. This was not intended as a normal user repair.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation