Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi AyJayGibson,

I would suggest to remove the toners, see if the printer is still making noise. Check for any obstacles or packing materials on the paper path. Then reseat the toners inside the printer, if all the packing material is removed and you are still getting this noise, then most likely the printer will need to be serviced.

For the printer having issues with the cool-down mode, the product is too hot to continue printing at normal speed. Make sure the printer is connected directly to a wall outlet. (don't use a power hub or a surge protector) This ensures the printer is receiving full power and may help this situation.

Overheating occurs when the product lacks air ventilation or when it prints continuously for a long period of time. To prevent overheating, place the product in a well-ventilated area, and divide very large print jobs into smaller print jobs.

Update the printer's firmware.

What is the paper's weight and what kind of paper are you using?

How many pages are you printing at a time before the printer goes into cool down?

If the issue persists, call our technical support at 800-474-6836 for further assistance. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi @skandicaptain ,

I understand that after having a paper jam, the printer is stuck on initializing. I would like to help you.

Disconnect the USB/Network/FAX and power the printer on Standalone.

Check and remove any packaging material inside the printer and toner.

Do a hard reset to see if that will resolve the issue.
Leave the printer on and unplug the power cable from the printer and wall outlet for 60 seconds.
Then reconnect the power cable to the printer and wall outlet rather than a surge protector.
This ensures the printer is receiving full power and may help this situation.

If the issue persists, perform a power drain by disconnecting the power cord from the back of the printer and keeping the power button pressed for 30 seconds and in case of a power switch keep the switch in ON position for 30 seconds before reconnecting the power chord.

Update the printer's firmware.

I can send a private message with some another step to try.
In the forum beside your handle name just click on the envelope to view it.

How is the printer connected? (USB/Ethernet/Wireless)

Please let me know the outcome.

Have a nice day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hi @GernerJ ,

I see that the new printer you just unpacked is making a strange noise and is stuck initializing. I would be happy to help you.

The error light would indicate a issue with the toner. Remove the toners, see if the printer is still making noise. Then reseat the toners inside the printer. Some of the packing material inside the unit, can be mistaken for the printer parts. Please double check that all the packing material was removed. This document illustrates the different packing material to be removed. There are the two orange rings to pull to remove the foam insert and the setup instructions.

Setting Up the Printer Hardware for HP Color LaserJet Pro M177fw MFP Printers.

If you haven't already, please try the steps from Message 47 .

I will send you another step to try in a private message.

Have a nice day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thanks for responding to my PM skandicaptain.

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this Post has instructions.

Thank You.

Quote from PM:

Hello This does not help. Still the printer stops at initiating.

While initiating when i press the Home icon , i cann the there is a yellow triangle in the toner icon , 

But i tried to take out all the toner and start the printer but still very noisy and stucks at initiating.

When i put back the toner , its still the same issue..

What is wrong with this printers , We have 4 units onboard like this and all of them has the same issue.

The other one is a new one just arrived this week but still the same issue.

Many thanks

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hi @Gemini02,

I see that you made some suggestions how to fix the issue with the printer. I would be happy to report you the result.

I removed the toners (which is _very_ difficult and a dirty job when the carousel isn't moving!), but the issue remains. The toners aren't necessary for the printer to make the strange noise. 😕

I also double-checked that no packing material was left in the printer. All the foam and orange rings were removed.

Additionally, I tried the "another step" you sent to me - but that didn't help, too.

Of course, I tried to remove the power cable, waited a minute - same issue.

The printer is only connected to the power supply, no USB etc.

I ordered now another one - same model - from Amazon and will send the non-working one back.

Hopefully, the new one will work as expected.

Thanks for help.

PS: Even the forum software has bugs - for anwering, I was not able to login. I even resetted my password. You should mention that for login one has to use only the e-mail address (instead of "user id or e-mail address" - the first will not work!).

HP Recommended

Hi GernerJ,

Thanks for reply back with the results. Sorry that the troubleshooting steps didn't resolve the issue.

Please keep me posted when you receive the new Laserjet M177fw printer.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I am also having this problem and have already performed a hard reset.

Next steps to resolve please? 

HP Recommended

Hi @godraude ,

If you have already tried all the steps in Message 62 , please check your Private Messages of a additional step to try.

What happened prior to the printer going into initialization?

Have a nice day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hello, I am the owner of m117fw, my printer is hung on the window "initialization" and that does not occur, it is included trying to crank out of the cartridge and freezes. Offline described that you send what that instruction can be the exact same instructions and get me.

HP Recommended

Ok, I had this exact same issue as everyone else in this thread. HP, please fix this or test the following resolution in the lab and provide the steps that end up working. My unit is firmware updated now so I can't reproduce the issue any longer.

Hopefully this saves some of you this hour long converstation I just had: http://pastebin.com/xsq5EBvF

Read everything below before trying anything in my post. If someone can document the exact steps that end up working please comment with them, and I'll edit or reply again to correct myself.

Notes:

Full driver required for firmware update. I had to use windows 7 x64 VM on my Mac
Possibly some old certificate failure that infinite loops causing this? clock needs to be set

I started on firmware 20140921

I ended on firmware 20141113

Will try a few more experimental resets and if it continues having problems I'll return it to Best Buy before my return window closes.

Steps I tried:
Had to remove all of the toner, there's a lock release tab on the left side. Use a small tool to slide the white plastic lock piece back to enable rolling the toner wheel. I'd suggest trying the steps below and don't remove the toner yet. It's a pain.
Tried resetting holding right arrow, left arrow, back button, Cancel each when booting up the device. Nothing worked.
Set the clock manually (touch screen) and verified it was correct after a reboot
Ended up removing HP Web services while it's booting, that caused it to get past the stuck initializing. Probably a timing issue so results may vary.
Once it removed the services and started initialiing it started making a lot more noise than usual I let it sit for ~5 minutes
When it finally started working it asked to install toner (for the first time)
I installed each toner 1 by 1. IT takes ~1 minute to install once you close the lid. You might be able to skip this if you tried the clock, reset, and web serices removal.
do this for all 4 toner until it shows them all installed and a status level
(the next part I did without rebooting the printer)
Install the full featured driver (basic driver won't let firmware update install)
run the firmware update
once it's updated hopefully a factory reset will get it all back to out-of-box with everything working. I haven't tried yet.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.