Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi JFC03,

Sorry that the reset didn't help resolve the issue.

Please call our technical support, at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. Contact HP.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I have the same issue here.

Can you please send me the reset instructions too?

HP Recommended

In the end, the result was to replace the printer.

I got the replacement on Friday, so far so good, we will see how it goes.

Note that when I put the toner (that came with the original printer) from the old machine into the new one, it did not like the black toner and I had to take it out and use the new one.

HP Recommended

Hi @realnewton ,

I see that you would like to try the reset to see if it will resolve the issue.

I can send you that information in a private message.
In the forum beside your handle name just click on the envelope to view it.

Have a great day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, the reset didn't do anything. The grinding noises are still there and the printer does nothing apart from being an expensive decoration. I'm returning it to the store and ask for the refund. I'm very disappointed with this piece of defective machinery...

HP Recommended

I am having the exact same issue.  Brand new out of box.  Tried all the hard resets, power resets and removed cartridges and still stuck in initializing mode.  It won't even get to the point of asking me to install the cartridges.  Given that this is a known issue, what is the solution and can it be corrected?

HP Recommended

Hi @isimuzel,

I see that you are having issues with the printer right out of the box, initializing. I would like to help.

Make sure the printer is connected directly to a wall outlet. (don't use a power hub or a surge protector) This ensures the printer is receiving full power and may help this situation.

Please check your private messages for a reset to try.
In the forum beside your handle name just click on the envelope to view it.

Please call our technical support if the issue persists, at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region.
Contact HP.

Have a great day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue and this the second that I have purchased. The first one did the same thing and HP gave me a new one. 

Same problem. I have removed all foams and orange tags. It makes unusually loud ticking noises and says it is initializing. I did the hard reset, removing power cord etc. The carousel doesn't move. I tried to move it manually like the instructions and it doesn't move. Please advise. 

HP Recommended

Hi @pegahk ,

I see by your post that this is a replacement printer from HP and you are having the same issue. The printer is making loud ticking noises while intializing and the carousel won't move.

Make sure the printer is connected directly to a wall outlet. (don't use a power hub or a surge protector) This ensures the printer is receiving full power and may help this situation.

Some of the packing material inside the unit, can be mistaken for the printer parts. Please double check that all the packing material was removed. This document illustrates the different packing material to be removed.

There are the two orange rings to pull to remove the foam insert and the setup instructions.

Setting Up the Printer Hardware for HP Color LaserJet Pro M177fw MFP Printers.

Try again to manually move the carousel if the issue persists.

Open the scanner lid and the lid below that so you should see the toners.

On the left hand side of the black frame, you will see a picture of the printer.

To the right of the picture, you will see a oval hole with a white plastic piece inside it.

You will need to use something to push down on the white plastic piece, at the same time push the carousel backwards, don't touch the toner though. It has to be in the exact right position in order to be able to pull the toner out. I have provided a picture with a red circle, this is about the location for manually moving the carousel.

177manualrotatetoners.png

Let me know how you make out.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I have returned the printer as defective and will be replacing it with something else. Having seen numerous forums listing this exact same issue as a problem for this printer, I recommend HP stop selling it or provide an accurate fix.  This was a very frustrating experience and since I purchased this to replace another laserjet HP that was no longer working after only 1 year, I anticipate I will likely purchase from a competitor for this replacement and no longer use HP products.  If you have a known issue, why is this product still on the market?  Frustrated.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.