Question

PhD Student
Dot4
Message 1 of 259 (21,975 Views)

Problems with your HP printer after upgrading to Windows 8.1

[ Edited ]

If your experiencing problems with your HP printer after upgrading to Windows 8.1 please click on the below link and install the HP Print and Scan Doctor and run the utility to fix the issue.

www.hp.com/go/tools.

I was an HP employee

If I have helped you solve your issue please mark it as solved

**Say Thanks By Clicking on the Kudos Star**
Tutor
MustangsForever
Message 2 of 259 (21,932 Views)

Re: Problems with your HP printer after upgrading to Windows 8.1

Nothing but a waste of time!  Scan and Print Doctor indicates that the problem is an "unknown problem error code 6".

Student
M16gogirl
Message 3 of 259 (21,914 Views)

Thanks this WORKED!!
Honor Student
mtmnomad
Message 4 of 259 (21,824 Views)

It did not solve the problem, and gave no useful advice.

PhD Student
Dot4
Message 5 of 259 (21,795 Views)

mtmnomad,

I would like to know a couple things

• what problem are you having
  • was this an upgrade...if so from what OS
  • When you ran the utility what did it do

I was an HP employee

If I have helped you solve your issue please mark it as solved

**Say Thanks By Clicking on the Kudos Star**
Tutor
MustangsForever
Message 6 of 259 (21,763 Views)

The product is a HP Deskjet V40 all in one printer that worked perfectly on my Emachines desktop running Windows Vista.

I replaced the Emachine desktop with a Lenovo 520 desktop system unit that came with Windows 8 installed.  I used the Windows transfer application between my Emachines CPU and the Lenovo to load the Lenovo.  The V40 worked fine on the Lenovo until a couple of days ago.  The problem that I am encountering is that when trying to print, the printer stops before the docment(s) are printed and returns an error message on the computer display that simply reads V40 cannot print document (document name).  When I check the status in the printer window it simply notes the name of the document with a error notation.  Cancelling the document releases the printer.  Restart only repeats the problem.  

I followed all the steps contained on the HP support page for printing under Windows 8 and the problem presisted.  I then downloaded Print and Scan Doctor.  Print Doctor found the printer but when it tried to communicate with the printer it froze.  Restarting the application resulted in the printing of a document that read GET /DevMgmt/DiscoveryTree.xm1 HTTP/1.1 HOST:

After the restart, Print Doctor communciated with the printer and returned an error for the Status as Unknown Error Code (6).

The Windows diagnostic for the printer indicated that there were problems that Windows could  not fix.

I have uninstalled the printer, reinstalled the printer, used Device Manager to delete the printer, printer ports, usb ports, printer driver and all other devices that are printer related.  I have sucessfully run the Install Wizzard to load the driver and install the printer.  Updating the drivers via Device Manager results in a notification that the best and latest drivers are installed.  I have stopped and restarted the Spooler via the Services process.

Finally, I upgraded Windows to 8.1 and the problem remained.  It appears that the driver that HP provided to Windows has a bug that is returning an invalid status condition to the printer during a print operation.

I have view other comments on the Forum and noted that I am not the only one having trouble with Windows 8 drivers on HP printers.  But so far, no one has provided a valid fix that works for my situation.

HP Support Agent
Gemini02
Message 7 of 259 (21,509 Views)

Hi MustangsForeve

I understand the printer won't  print on the Lenovo computer. Now running Win 8.1.

Since you did a Windows transfer application between the Emachines CPU and the Lenovo to load the Lenovo I would recommend to fully uninstall and install the printer software again from the downloaded driver.

Please provide the following information so I can assist you better.

What is the full name and product number of your printer?

How is the printer connected? (usb/ethernet/wireless)

Will the printer print a hardware self test?

Hope this helps.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Gemini02
I work on behalf of HP
Tutor
MustangsForever
Message 8 of 259 (21,489 Views)

Appreciate your response, however, I had already completed an in depth install and re-install.  I made numerious postings under several error headings and completed all suggested solutions, but no one could provide a solution.  The printer in question is a V40 that ran successfully on Vista.  The Print Doctor application failed to complete and the Windows troubleshooter failed to determne any errors.  I suspect that since the V40 is not a current product, HP did not make the effort to provide Microsoft with a working device driver package for this printer and the one they provided is defective.   I have learned through this experience that I cannot trust HP to make an effort to protect my printer investments and consequently, yesterday, I purchased a new Epson to replace the V40.   

Honor Student
mtmnomad
Message 9 of 259 (21,480 Views)

In the end it was solved by uninstalling the HP printer; reboot, then install the new HP driver for Win 8.1 64 bit , and complete the new install process. Printer is officejet 4500.

Student
trenton158
Message 10 of 259 (21,397 Views)

Did your scanner work after you rebooted?  I am having trouble getting my scanner to work. I did have to uninstall my printer and then reinstall, but it did no help the scanner section.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation