Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

When I try to print I hear a clacking noise and a message appears to I should reinsert or lower the photo tray.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello @jean7274,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I understand that you're getting the message 'Reinsert or Lower Photo Tray' on the front panel of your HP Photosmart 6520 e-All-in-One Printer. I see that you are also hearing a 'clacking' noise prior to seeing the Photo Tray error. I would like to assist you today with resolving this issue. The error and the noise are likely due to the Photo Tray itself not being correctly installed. Can I please have you follow the steps below to ensure that the Paper Tray is correctly loaded in your machine.

1. Pull out the input tray until it stops, and then slide the paper guides to their outermost positions.

Image: Pull out the imput tray and slide out the paper guides.

2. Load a stack of plain paper into the input tray with the short edge first and the print side down. Push the stack into the tray until it stops.

Image: Load  paper into the input tray.

3. Slide in the paper guides until they rest against the edges of the paper.

Image: Slide in the paper  guides.

4. Push the input tray into the printer. When you're ready to actually print, make sure you have pulled out the paper tray extender.

Image: Push in the input tray  and open the paper tray extender.

5. Next, pull open the photo tray, and then slide the paper guides to their outermost positions.

Image: Pull open photo tray.

6. If you want to print from the Photo Tray please load a stack of photo paper into the tray, with the short edge facing toward the printer and the print side down. Push the stack into the tray until it stops.

Image: Load the photo paper into the tray.

7. Slide in the paper guides until they rest against the edges of the paper.

Image: Slide in the paper guides until they rest against the edges of the paper.

8. Close the photo tray, and then push the paper tray into the printer.

Image: Close the photo tray, and then push the paper tray into the printer

- Source

• Make sure that the Photo Tray is closed and pushed into the printer.

Should the Photo Tray be installed correctly, yet the error persist, there may be a jam or debris within the paper path that is causing the error. Please click here to access the troubleshooting steps. Once the support document opens please follow the steps under Solution one, Solution two, Solution three, and Solution four. This includes any sub steps under the listed Solutions to complete. Your HP Photosmart is newer then the ones shown in the support document so the location for cleaning, and installation of the Photo Tray may differ slightly. For product specific steps for checking for debris and cleaning the rollers, please watch the video below:

Once troubleshooting is complete please test printing to confirm that the Photo Tray error has been resolved. Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. Good luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.