Question

Top Student
Reed_Suzy
Message 1 of 30 (20,154 Views)

Scan to Computer is currently unavailable Message

We have a network connected Officejet Pro 8600 printer with generally 2 computers on the network.  One is a desktop (Dell) and the other is a laptop (HP Pavilion).  The PCs and printer are connected by wire.  On the laptop, I will get a system tray icon - a picture of a scanner with a red X on it - that says, "Scan to computer is currently unavailable" when I hover over the icon.  The desktop rarely (but sometimes) gets this icon.  It seems to come and go throughout the day.  I have not seen a pattern to determine when it it there and when it is gone.  I can see it when my laptop is not being used and when it is being actively used.  More of the time it is not there but when it is there it is an irritate to see. I don't want to have a red X on my screen.  What causes this and how can I stop it from appearing?

Tutor
AriM
Message 2 of 30 (20,137 Views)

Re: Scan to Computer is currently unavailable Message

I'm sorry you're having a problem with the software.

"Scan to computer" is an application that runs on your computer and maintains a network connection with your printer so that you can push the "Scan" button on the printer to scan to the computer.  If that network connection is ever interrupted, then the icon will appear in the system tray saying that scan to computer is unavailable.  Without some more information about your network setup, it's hard to say what may be interrupting the connection.  If you'd like to troubleshoot network issues, do you have any firewall programs installed on the PCs?  Firewalls may block the connection to the printer from the software.  Are you using any VPN connections on the PC (or PCs)?  Connecting to a VPN may block the connection to the printer as well.

If you only want to make the message stop appearing, you can disable scan to computer by clicking on the icon in the system tray when you see it and clicking the button to "Disable" and uncheck the box to "Automatically start Scan to Computer when I log onto Windows."  This will make the message disappear, because scan to computer will no longer be attempting to maintain the network connection, however, to perform a scan, you will need to open the scan software on the PC instead of pushing the scan button on the printer.

Although I am an HP employee, my opinions are my own.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Top Student
Reed_Suzy
Message 3 of 30 (20,132 Views)

AriM - thank you for your reply.  For some additional information, both the desktop and laptop are using WinXP (SP3) and use the Windows Firewall.  We are not using VPN.  Why would the laptop often loose the "Scan to Computer" connection while the desktop does not?

BTW, the laptop is has no problem printing - that connection is always there.  I don't want to turn off the "Scan to Computer" function on my laptop since that is a lose of functionality that I want when I bought the printer in November. It is nice to do a scan from the printer and send it to either PC, especially since the laptop is in a different room. 

Tutor
AriM
Message 4 of 30 (20,127 Views)

To troubleshoot the network issues, I recommend as a first step trying the network diagnostic utility that will check common networking issues that might be preventing Scan to Computer from communicating with the printer.  See this link:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02037530&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en

If that doesn't find any issues, if you open the printer toolbox when scan to computer says it is inactive, is the toolbox able to communicate with the printer?  You can open toolbox by double clicking the Officejet 8600 icon on the desktop and clicking on "Estimated Ink Levels."  Can the software show the ink levels or is a communication error shown?

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Top Student
Reed_Suzy
Message 5 of 30 (20,121 Views)

AriM - thanks again for your help.  I ran the Network Diagnostic Utility and, as expected, there were no problems.  I wouldn't have expected any since all other network related activity is OK.

The next time I see the "Scan to Computer is currently unavailable" message again, I will open the printer toolbox to see if the laptop is able to communicate with the printer.  I am going to be away for awhile so it may be some time before I can report on this.

Student
HeartTStop
Message 6 of 30 (20,001 Views)

I'm getting the same message.  I've run the Network Diagnotic tool and also the HP scan diagnostic utility.  Both showed no errors, and the scan test ran fine.

Top Student
Reed_Suzy
Message 7 of 30 (19,999 Views)

There is clearly a problem since this is not a unique situation to me.  Since my original post about 6 weeks ago, I have to say I rarely see this message on the laptop anymore - and I have done nothing different to the computer.  When I do see it, it is only present for a short time and goes away on its own. 

Intern
Cbuck247
Message 8 of 30 (19,998 Views)

If your printer is connected to a power strip, unplug the printer while it's still turned on, also disconnect the power cord from your power strip and let it sit for about 1 minute to reset the power module.

Afterwards, plug it directly into a wall socket and then use it as you normally would. If this doesn't fix the issue for you then it may need a firmware update, although this is unlikely due to the issue occuring also with the USB connected computer.
Intern
darrensweeney
Message 9 of 30 (19,709 Views)

I am having the exact same problem with my new Officejet Pro 8600. It works fine on my notebook (Vista) but is behaving exactly the same as the one metioned in this thread. I have followed along and tried the various suggestions offered to troupbleshoot this, but have had the same results. 

I have called into HP Tech supprot and they can not help me. All they are able do do is to instruct me to add and remove the HP software. So far they have had me do this about 8 times. Still no difference in the results I get. They say that this is as far as they can go for printer support, that I now need to trobuleshoot this as a Windows XP PC problem with Microsoft or my PC manufacturer. My PC is an HP desktop (Win XP SP3) that is has been out of warranty for years. So no one at HP tech support will work with me on this unless I agree to pay them to do so.

I would be very pleased with HP if through this thread, they could get this printer working. Based on the comments I have read from other users, this is not an isolated case and not specific to my PC.

Student
GaleB
Message 10 of 30 (16,092 Views)

Did you find a way to resolve this issue? I am having the exact same problem.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation