Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

This is an issue mentioned several times on this forum without a resolution.

I just bought and installed an Officejet 8500 Pro Wireless. On several XP Pro machines it seems impossible to get the default paper size to switch from Letter to A4. The paper size change does not stick, even when clicking the "Apply" button and exiting the Printer dialog.

Please advise. This is an expensive printer (for an InkJet) and it simply should not be so difficult to get it to work properly.

My thanks in advance.

27 REPLIES 27
HP Recommended

I have the same problem.

I choose "Druckereinstellungen" in [HP Solution Center] (=windows title) and

I got [HP OfficejetPro 8500 A909a Series Properties].

There I can not change the Paperformat to A4 permanently.

What a mess!

I am using the English Version of Windows Vista Business SP2.

The Windows [Regional and Language Options] are using "German (Austria)" as current format

and at [Customize Regional Options] the Measurement system is set to "Metric".

Configured printer on initialization with Language German, Country Austria.

HP Recommended

Although it appears impossible for the HP8500 to completely forget its US roots, the following work-around overcomes the defaulting to US paper size.

In Printing Shortcuts, create new shortcuts which use A4 (or any other) size, plus whatever other changes you may require.

Next time you print, go to Print Preferences and select your chosen shortcut.

The printer will use this and remember it as the default next time.

It appears impossible to completely delete the US defaults, but your printer will not revert to US unless you choose it (or completely power off?)

HP Recommended

Many thanks for your response. I have followed your suggestion, and we will see how it works out in practice.

As soon as I have time I will try instructions for HP support (which involved completely removing the installation and starting again: for obvious reasons this has to wait till there is time to do all that).

As for the US-centricity: this may not actually be the problem. There are Canadian users complaining of exactly the same problem with the drivers, but then reversed (they cannot get rid of default A4!).

As the second poster says: what a mess.

I will post here for the record what I try and what happens (when I get to it).

HP Recommended

I believe that Octavio in the online help center may have found a soloution

If you run the HP solutions center

select Printer settings /Features / Paper Sizes / Metric / and change it to A4 210x297mm

Then OK

You will find that the Factory defaults short-cut at the bottom of the shortcut list changes to A4

You can then create your own shortcuts with an A4 Default

I hope this helps

Dogs Dinner 1234

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, I cannot find this option via the route advised. In any case, the suggested links are not operative. My recollection is that I did change the measure to metric, but it made no difference.

HP Recommended

Does not work for me. I am the local admin on my PC - every single setting throughout my XP SP3 computer is set to default Metric (English UK). I've set paper sizes to A4 in all my applications. I've uninstalled and reinstall the Solution centre. I tried to set the Print settings to A4 in each printing shortcut in the list but it instantly changes back to US Letter.

eg I can change the paper setting in 'General Everyday Printing' from Letter 8.5x11 to A4, click Apply, then click on another shortcut, eg 'Paper Saving', then click immediately back to 'General Everyday Printing' and the setting has already reverted to Letter. This is happens 100% of the time, no matter which order I apply, or OK or save out of the settings menus.

In the 'Features' tab of the printer settings, it always goes back to Letter immediately, there is no attempt to apply the change to A4. I have tried setting to Metric, I even tried to set up a custom paper size in 'English' (ie A4 but measured in inches) but it still goes back to Letter 8.5 immediately you leave the page.

If you go to Control Panel -> Printers -> Right click Photosmart Printer -> Propertiers, under the Printer 'General' tab, the only paper option available is 'Letter' and that is greyed out and cannot be changed.

This is driving me nuts, the printer is about to have its first test flight from the 5th storey of my building

HP Recommended

Yes. It is frustrating; after all these months, and patient HP support staff via email, NOTHING I have tried at their request has the desired effect. That's why I didn't post back here - nothing to report.

The most recent suggestion (awaiting time to try it) is to take a computer which has never had Windows UK installed on it (all my machines are installed from the start with UK Windows but regional localisation The Netherlands/Dutch and US International keyboard to handle the dead keys for accents). I need to try a computer which has been installed for The Netherlands and Dutch. 

This actually should make no difference at all, since we use A4 in the UK too, but I am willing to try anything once to nail this down. If I have news I will post it here.

HP Recommended

Sorry but you all missed the obvious solution.

Just don't buy HP.

I have not found HP to  to be customer oriented.

I personally have gone through 3 - 4 HP printers.

Yeah they look nice and provide lots of apparent functionality at what first appears low cost (except for the ink) but in reality just don't work properly.

At least they don't work in the land of OZ (Australia).

I've decided to not repeat my past mistakes and yep I have exactly the same problem with A4 verse letter.

I found the "short cuts" but it is not a universsal fix.

For instance .what about web scanning (always starts as letter).

What about printing CD labels witrh cycberlink products - interesting results to say the least.

I'm a profession software engineer but apparentyl don't  know enough to use a HP domestic grade printer.

Mine is  c309A series "HP" "Photosmart"  "Premium".  (Print-Fax-Scan-Copy).

An obvious combination of oxymorons.

Jeff

"All that glitters is not gold"

HP Recommended

I very regretably have come to the conclusion that there is no solution for this problem.

I also will be cautious about buying products from a company that cannot or will not solve as simple an issue as this.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.