Question

Honor Student
owang
Message 1 of 3 (676 Views)

Setting up Laserjet 1320 for use with a wireless router (ASUS RT-N56U) with Mac OSX 10.8

I have an older LaserJet 1320 - no built-in wireless functions - that I've been trying to configure to work with a wireless router that has a printer share function (ASUS RT-N56U).

The router's firmware is out to date, as are my HP printer drivers. The printer works fine when plugged directly into a computer via USB. The printer connects to the wireless router via USB. Furthermore, the printer correctly shows up in the router's GUI system setup display. 

However, when I try to "add" the printer via Mac OSX's "Print & Fax" system preference, the printer doesn't show up on the default list. 

Then I try to add it via the IP address, which has not been changed from the standard default (192.168.1.1.). Print & Fax scans for the printer but can't seem to find it. I've tried this using both HP Jetsocket and LPD protocols. 

From what I can tell, the router can make a connection to the printer (since the correct model name shows up in the router's setup) but I can't connect to the printer from my computer via the router. 

Looking at my error log, I see the following but this is beyond my troubleshooting skills to comprehend and I'm not sure if it's related or not. 

4/1/13 12:53:16.440 PM PrinterProxy[28796]: *** WARNING: -[NSImage compositeToPoint:fromRect:smileysurprised:peration:] is deprecated in MacOSX 10.8 and later. Please use -[NSImage drawAtPoint:fromRect:smileysurprised:peration:fraction:] instead.

Any suggestions on what to do next? Thanks

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 3 (671 Views)

Re: Setting up Laserjet 1320 for use with a wireless router (ASUS RT-N56U) with Mac OSX 10.8

Hi,

Please check the following review:

"The good: The stylish and compact Asus RT-N56U Dual-Band Gigabit Wireless-N Router offers stellar 5Ghz performance, long range, and an intuitive Web interface. Its storage feature is well designed; the router is comparatively fast; and it offers a convenient way to access data over the Internet."

Source: http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/asus-rt-n56u-dual/4505-3319_7-34200558.html

It seems to me it does NOT have print server funtion, the USB port is for storage such as external HDD ONLY. This is not going to work, you need wireless print server function of a router.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Honor Student
owang
Message 3 of 3 (669 Views)

Re: Setting up Laserjet 1320 for use with a wireless router (ASUS RT-N56U) with Mac OSX 10.8

Same review also says: "Next to the ports, there are also two USB ports designed to host printers or network storage."

It most definitely is meant to work as a wireless printer server. Even the comments below the review confirm this.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation