Question

Student
Stephenpkennedy
Message 1 of 4 (266 Views)

Setup cartridges - Why?

Why do we need setup cartridges for HP printers.

Where can I get a new set?

The Story:

Called into HP today looking for a new set of Cartridges that will allow me to setup my HP Printer. These are the very first cartridge that is supposedly a must for the printer to work. PLease do not lose these as if they are lost you effectively have a worthless brick costing £120 or more.

Spend over 1 hour being passed from pillar to post on a call to HP. No luck there, no one in HP can supply these at all.

Eventually got to the HP Parts website, well that was a waste of time too. Found the part number CN676EE to CN679EE, one step in the right direction. Oops no these are not available here either, spoke to an agent on Chat, got no where fast, other than an instruction to call a number of different distributors that will have what I need. Oh the false hope that HP agents sow. Called 2 of them only to be told that HP do not sell them therefore the distrubutor will not have them. Why oh why are we led such a merry chase ???? !!!!!!

Then back to HP and this time I am told go on ebay you can get them there !!!! eBay, why do eBay sell them but HP. Search eBay only to find empty setup cartridges, and none filled.

So another hour wasted on a product that is proving more and more difficult to justify. Printers should be as easy as 1-2-3. Take it out the packaging, install ink and paper, connect and print.

Epson, Canon, do not require setup cartridges why do HP?

Any advice greatly appreciated on how to get over the problem.

Thanks

Steve

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 2 of 4 (244 Views)

Setup cartridges - Why?

I have sent your comments to the right people. Someone will be in contact with you soon. They will use the Private Message feature of the forums to contact you. If you are not sure how to use this feature, please see the following post.

How To Send A Private Message – Video
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
Student
a3rdeyeseeker
Message 3 of 4 (190 Views)

Re: Setup cartridges - Why?

Could you have them contact me as well??? I am trying to set up a HP Officejet Pro 8600 that was brand new in the box...blue tape and styrofoam still intact. Problem is the "SETUP" ink cartredges are long gone. This is ridiculous. Why can't I just insert the $50 worth of brand new ink I have bought and print something???? What a load of crap. I'm very pissed, if you couldn't tell. I have a million things to print and fax and I can't even set this stupid thing up.

HELP!

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 4 of 4 (180 Views)

Re: Setup cartridges - Why?

Hey a3rdeyeseeker,

For those curious about what SETUP cartridges are and why they are important there is a document with this information provided by HP.  The document can be found by clicking here.

If you just purchased your Officejet Pro 8600, but did not receive your SETUP cartridges, then the printer will still be under the 1 year factory warranty.  If the printer did not come with all necessary items, then this would be covered under this warranty.  The fastest manner in which one could obtain the SETUP cartridges would be to call HP Tech Support and have them mail them to you.  

If you are in the US or Canada, then the phone number to dial is 1-800-474-6836.  If you are not in this region, then please click here to access the global contact list for HP Tech Support. 

Let them know you just purchased this printer and that the SETUP cartridges were not included in the box.  The printer's warranty will cover having them shipped to you.

Hope this helps.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation