Question

Honor Student
ayespy
Message 1 of 2 (197 Views)

Spooler Service will not stay running

I found a solution today that I would like to share.  My problem was that my print spooler stopped every time I tried to open printer properties or tried to print, and if I was not trying to do either of these, it would only stay on for 20 seconds, regardless.  I tried all of the widely published solutions, no joy, and then spent three and a half hours on line with tech support, with the "final resolution" being that I had to reinstall Windows 8.  I did so, and it took 13 hours to back up and restore all my data files, but as soon as my printers were installed again, the problem began anew.

What I finally worked out was that it was a driver conflict.  There is a folder in the system directory, C:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers\x64, which contains driver files for all of your printers for the 64-bit system.

I renamed this folder, restarted the computer, and my spooler immediately stopped crashing.  Now that the spooler was running, I still could not print as I had no drivers.  The machine, in the meantime, had created a new x64 folder and put one basic set of drivers in it.

I then re-added one driver folder at a time back from the re-named folder to the x64 folder, and after each re-add attempted to print (using file/print - not a one-click shortcut, so that I could watch the printer dialogue).  I kept the task manager/services window open while doing this, watching to ensure the spooler remained running.  If it STOPPED, that meant I had re-added the problem driver or driver folder.  Hence, I would know that this is where the problem was.  Put that folder back in the renamed file, and boom - restart the spooler and it stays running again.  If the printer I was trying to print to would not show an image of the document I was printing in the print dialogue, or let me set properties, select page(s) to print, etc., then its X64 driver was not in the x64 folder yet.

I continued this until all of my essential printer drivers were in the x64 folder, and only the problem driver(s) remained in the renamed folder.

The hardware in question was:

HP H8-1414 Envy with Win 8 X64 Home Premium

HP Business Inkjet 3000 - using the generic PCL5 driver

HP Officejet 6500 wireless AIO (installed wireless)

HP Laserjet 2300 PCL5 installed on network on another machine

PrimoPDF

By the time all was said and done, I spent 20 hours troubleshooting this.  The actual fix took about 15 minutes.

I hope to save other users some time, if they should run into this same type of driver conflict.

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 2 of 2 (164 Views)

Re: Spooler Service will not stay running

Hey ayespy,

Thank you for participating in the HP Consumer Support Forums.  Your response is very detailed and I appreciate your sharing this experience for others to try using to fix this type of issue if it comes up.  

I have provided a KUDOS on your post as a way of saying THANKS for your participation and great detail.

Have a wonderful day,
Jason

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation