Question

Tutor
jpkmiec
Message 1 of 8 (1,867 Views)
Accepted Solution

Stuck on "Checking System" during driver installation. J4580 All-in-One Printer, Windows 8 64-bit

Hi all,

I have no idea why it's not working. It stays in the "Checking System" step forever. There is no progress bar either, just one of those looping task bars, so I can't tell if anything is actually installing. Anyone have a solution for this?

Thank you!

Janek

Regents Professor
Rudy1906
Message 2 of 8 (1,855 Views)

Re: Stuck on "Checking System" during driver installation. J4580 All-in-One Printer, Windo

Sorry that you are having a problem with the printer being stuck. 

Try to perform a hard reset on the printer. Unplug the power cord from the back. Leave it out for 30 seconds and plug it back in. 

Take out the cartridges and clean with lint free cloth and water. 

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Tutor
jpkmiec
Message 3 of 8 (1,837 Views)

Re: Stuck on "Checking System" during driver installation. J4580 All-in-One Printer, Windo

Hi Rudy,

Thank you for your response and sorry that I'm replying so late.

Unfortunately the hard reset did not fix the checking system problem but at least it made my computer recognize that the printer is connected to it. I went to the "Add Printer" section for Windows 8 and it shows the "Officejet J4500 series" but below it says "Driver is unavailable".

One thing I find pretty bothersome is that in the "Checking System" window there is no way to turn off this installation window without doing a force close. It would help for situations like these.

Anyways, do you have any other possible solutions?

Much appreciated,

Janek

HP Support Agent
Lil_Lisa27
Message 4 of 8 (1,817 Views)

Hello,

I understand that you are getting stuck on the Checking System portion of the printer installation. I have included the following document, 'The Progress Bar on the Software Installation Stops or Stalls'. Please click on your operating system, and then follow the steps in order.

Please let me know if you are able to successfully install the software after, thank you.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

Lil_Lisa27
I work on behalf of HP
Tutor
jpkmiec
Message 5 of 8 (1,807 Views)

Hi again,

I tried the steps in the link twice and it didn't work; still stuck in "Checking System". I went to the task manager and there is something weird happening in the "Background Processes" section. At all times during the "Checking System" progress, two things are shown in the "Background Processes":
  1. HP Installer Plug-In (32 bit), and
  2. HP Installer Re-installation Plug In (32 bit)
However, a third thing shows up on and off. It's called "HP Installer System Requirements Check Plug In (32 bit)". This is probably related to the issue given that I'm stuck in the "Checking system" part. The progress bar was flickering so maybe it was reseting or something? Just brainstorming an explanation for the on and off thing in the Task Manager...

One more thing. When I force closed the installation (i.e. in the App section I closed the HP Installer) but in the Background Processes section the "HP Installer Re-installation Plug In" and "System Requirements Plug-in" are still there (and the System Requirements thing is still appearing+disappearing). (Note: When I force closed the re-installation, the system requirements process also disappeared.)

Any further suggestions?

Thanks again for your help,

Janek
HP Support Agent
Lil_Lisa27
Message 6 of 8 (1,784 Views)

Thank you again for the information. At this point there is a couple different steps that can be completed. First check for any windows updates, and install ALL updates that are available for your computer.

Second clear out the temp folder, and run a disk cleanup. I have included the following document 'How to delete temporary files from Windows 8'. Please follow the steps in order.

Once these steps are complete, please close down any windows that are open. Next step is to complete and msconfig. I have included the document 'How to perform a clean boot'. Please scroll down the page, and select your operating system. Then follow the steps in order. After the msconfig is completed, please restart your computer

Once the the above steps are completed please try installing the software again.

Please let me know if your able to install the software after this, thank you.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

Lil_Lisa27
I work on behalf of HP
Tutor
jpkmiec
Message 7 of 8 (1,776 Views)

Hello again,

I followed the steps and again, it did not work. However, I did find a solution :smileyhappy:

I tried installing the software after I cleaned the temp folder and did a clean boot but the same issues were repeating. I opened the task manager and I force closed "HP Installer Re-installation Plug In (32 bit)". This caused an error which caused the installation software to uninstall/remove anything on my computer. When I tried to install the software after this, it worked. Clearly there was something already on the system causing a problem. 

Thanks again for your help!

Janek

Tutor
jpkmiec
Message 8 of 8 (1,769 Views)

I spoke with a friend and he told me some useful info which might help others with this problem.

I got the printer when I had Windows 7 and upgraded to Windows 8, which caused the driver to stop working. However, the driver was still there which makes sense to me why the task manager showed a re-installation app, rather than just installation. I thought that the old driver just got wiped. So if you upgraded, make sure you remove the old driver first.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation