Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Has anyone found a solution this problem yet?  HP doesn't give a rat's ass whether it's repaired or not.  I've gone through every possible repair process, install-uninstall time after time after time.  Mine has been out since December of 2010.  No help from HP.  I thought they were supposed to know and apparently they've done nothing to try and fix the problem.  I bought a Lexmark earlier this year and no problems whatsoever scanning.  No problem scanning with any other product of any sort either, but not my Photosmart C7250.  I even bought a later model of an HP printer, same problem.  No solution.  No help from HP.  I agree, don't buy printers from HP.  They're pieces of junk and there's zero support.

MV
HP Recommended

I long since threw in the towel.

HP Recommended

Hey, thanks for replying.  Their non-response is inexplicable.  And, like I said, mine has been going on a long, long time.  I'm going to get rid of these printers.  They're not all that great anyway.  I have had great luck with the Lexmark.

MV
HP Recommended

Well, for what it's worth, I never much cared for HP ever since Carlie became CEO way back when.  The company just got too big for its britches, which is what you could pretty much say about most big name U.S. corporations.  Just look at Peet's Coffee and Tea.  Back in the day you could schmooze with Alfred at his corner store on Walnut Street in Berkeley.  Now it's a public corporation with a billion dollars of market capitalization that tries to sell you what I'd call capitalist pastries.

But I digress.  I still think HP's hardware is very good, quite a bang for the buck.  The software, well, all I can say is I'm not impressed.  I suppose I'm not alone.  Poke around this chat board and I think you'll find pleny of posters using funny symbols as adjectives when describing the software.

HP Recommended

I feel your pain! I am having the same problem with this POS Photosmart 309g. I can't wait until it runs out of ink so I can buy a different brand. The quality and lack of support is atrocious from HP. They used to be a good company, no more.

HP Recommended

Hi,

I managed to fix this, and the issue was with the installation of the bpd_scan component.  For some reason, windows thought it was already installed.  I think this may have been a conflict with DivX at the time.  However, this is how I corrected it.

First of all, I downloaded the Microsoft MSI Cleanup Utility (called msicuu2.exe), and saved the file locally.  Then I browsed to that file, right-clicked on it and selected "run as administrator" and installed the tool.  I then ran the "Windows Install Clean Up" application which had just been installed, and it gave me a list of programs it thought were installed.  I located "bdp_scan" in the list and clicked "Remove" in order to remove the entry.

Then, I went to %temp% and picked one of the 7z folderw, and browsed to setup\bdp_scan.  I right clicked on bdp_scan.msi and selected install and did not get an error message (NOTE: this is a test, if you do not have a folder such as this, you can simply go on to the next step).

I then uninstalled all of the HP software, and did a full re-install.  This time there were no error messages during the install and the scanner is working succesfully.

I really hope this helps you.

Thanks,
Stephen.

HP Recommended
My problem with this cleared up when I loaded Windows 8. It worked when I first got the printer with Windows 7 but one day Windows did an update and that was the end of my computer acknowledging that I had a scanner at all. Then when I upgraded to Windows 8, viola, it started working again. Now I'm scared of the updates because they're automatic so any minute I might be out in the cold again.
MV
HP Recommended

Stephen - you are my hero!

I've had an OJ 8500 for a few years.  Pulled my hair out getting to work on my home SBS network with XP workstations, but it was ultimately relatively stable.  Then last year I removed SBS and upgraded to Win7 workstations.  I've taken three runs at trying to get the so-called "Solution Center" software to run properly in this environment but to no avail.  Today I had the day off and had burned another few hours until I ran across this post.

The botched bpd_scan component was definitely the issue for me.  I didn't even have to scrub the HP S.C. installation -- it just started working!  Never would have found that on my own.

Thank you!

Scott

PS: I've been a loyal HP customer for nearly 30 years.  But this latest cluster has convinced me to look elsewhere when it comes time to replace the OJ8500.  <sigh>

HP Recommended

How this was resolved for me ...

I bought an account to online US Tech Support, fantastic support, and it took them about 14 hours to get to the bottom of this. Not sure why it broke and what they did to repair it but happy it now works again.

HP Recommended

Stephen, you may not see this, but I want others to know that your post is the only one that fixed the problem. Thank you for taking the time to share these instructions!

Toshiba Sattleite laptop with Windows 8

HP Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless that almost met its demise today

Sunny

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.