Question

Honor Student
Mischievious
Message 1 of 4 (889 Views)

The printer could not connect to the server

I have an HP OfficeJect Pro 8600 Premium.  It apparently needs a new firmware update, because I cannot get into the Apps and occassionally it says that new updates are available and need to be downloaded.  But when I try to use the product update it just says "Downloading...0% update download" and then fails with the message "The printer could not connect to the server. check the internet connection.  If required, enter a proxy address; ensure the proxy details are correct and retry.  Contact your network administrator for details."  This is on a home network with no proxy server.  The internet connection works because I am able to sent print jobs using email.  Any ideas?

PhD Student
Binary_Zen
Message 2 of 4 (858 Views)

Re: The printer could not connect to the server

What is the current firmware version on your printer? You can check this by touching the '?' on the control panel, select printer information and the press the down button to get to the next page.

If the last 6 alphanumeric code on the firmware version is less than 1136AR then the printer will need a firmware update. Just for verification you mentioned you can print via email, is this through the printer's email address? or the ePrint feature? The reason I ask is because ePrint and the Web Apps are both activated when Web Service is active.  You can reset the Web Services to see if by turning it off and on, which by the way will reset the printer's email address, can resolve this issue.

Binary_Zen (worked at HP )

Click the white Kudos star to say thanks
Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem
Honor Student
Mischievious
Message 3 of 4 (842 Views)

Hey, thank you for helping.  The firmware version is 1136BR.  I can print the the printer's email address.

Honor Student
Mischievious
Message 4 of 4 (829 Views)

A little more information to report.  I tried resetting everything to factory defaults and using a wired network connection rather than wireless, but it did not help.  The printer is definitely connected to the network because I can print to the printer's email address.  Occassionally, when I try to download updates it gets to a point where it says "Downloading 0%" but it never progresses beyond 0% and eventually errors out.  Any help is appreciated.  Is there a way to manually install updates on the printer rather than have the printer try to download them?  When I use ePrint Seup Software, and go to "Pruduct Update" it sasy "An update for Web Services is available. Would you like to proceed with the update?"  I choose yes.  It says "Downloading updates... Completed: 0%".  But it never goes past 0% and then returns with this error:

The update could not be downloaded!
An update is required to run Web Services (ePrint and Apps) on the printer.
Click Retry to restart the download

I retry, but it just does the same thing over and over.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation