Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

After following the instructions of support to remove all their deskjet software I found that my scanjet no longer worked. Of course now support will not respond to any questions about either the deskjet or scanjet issues and telephone support refused to assist stating I didn't live in the states and to use the web page for the country where I do live. That web page does not offer toll free calling so I would have to pay 12 cents a minute to call them. (The web page claims it is toll free but in reality it is only toll free if you use the same landline provider which is not available where I live.)

I used the recommended uninstall bats but I guess they didn't realize they would trash bits and pieces of their scanjet software. Now when I try to install I'm told the OCR software is already installed but when trying to use it I'm told files are missing and to reinstall which HP's software will not do. Even the normal scan functions now abort saying to reinstall missing files but as with the OCR software HP thinks it is there. There are no longer any HP files located in the program files directory so the only possible reason their software is fooled is because their uninstall process left 20 or 30 entries in the registry.

All deskjet software is also gone from the program files directory but like it's sister software for the scanjet it thinks most of it is already installed and refuses to install and it has no reinstall or fix function either.

In both instances if I attempt to uninstall the software that their software thinks is still there the install/uninstall program crashes. I have no other software issues on my computer.

As I said after they got me into this mess they stopped responding to support requests by email and my call to their 800 number resulted in simply being told to go away.

I can't believe I'm the only one that they have done this to, so I'm hoping someone else has found a way to clean up the mess they left behind.

Thanks.

Message Edited by jb111o on 07-05-2009 11:58 PM
13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Well to add to this saga I received a call from someone in the Philippine HP office that claimed to be an Engineer of some sort. He claimed he called me to help me with my problems; turned out not to be true.

I explained the situation as outlined in my previous message. At that point he told me that their deskjet printers are not designed to work on networks and so I would have to contact Microsoft for a solution. To bad they don’t post that plainly on their packaging. I tend to not believe him anyway since HP offers an update to their software for my particular deskjet to resolve issues with network printing. One has to wonder why they would bother to write a patch for something that is not supported by their printers.

So we then went on to the next problem of removing all the bits and pieces of HP software and Registry entries left on my computer. His response was that that was a problem that Microsoft would have to solve and I should contact them. Apparently they feel Microsoft is responsible for their buggy software.

At this point I knew he knew nothing about printers, scanners or software and this was a losing battle with someone that thought he could pass the buck.

Anyway,

I then asked him about how I could get my scanjet 2400 to work again and he told me that wasn’t his department.

So I asked why he called if he had no responsibility for anything that HP had done to my computer.

About that time he simply hung up on me.

And so it goes with HP support. It appears to me there drivers and software is buggy and their support staff has almost no training in handling anything beyond the most minuet issues. So their response is to pass the buck, i.e. go talk to Microsoft, or claim their hardware is not designed to do basic tasks, or simply to ignore you.

So I once again ask for anyone's help in removing the registry entries so I can try to get my scanner working again and if they have come across a third party driver that knows how to work with Windows XP networks let me know.

HP Recommended

Good news, kinda.....

HP support finally responded to one of my emails requesting assistance in removing the hundreds of left over entries in my Registry.

They sent me a canned email with detailed instructions on how to use Regedit, including deleting, changing and adding entries, although I already know how to use it.

BAD NEWS..... They forgot to provide a list of the entries I should remove and my return email asking for the information once again resulted in a "nobody home" response, i.e. no response at all.

HP Recommended

Well it appears Hewlett Packard likes to play silly games; or one might call it very unprofessional conduct. You decide.

On 13 July ’09 I received an email from a Jen Tyler from what she called Hewlett Packard U.S. TCO Escalations Team. The email is shown below. She claimed she was responding to my request to someone concerning my support event. She claimed she tried to call me at my phone number but was unable to reach me but she would continue to call for three more days. She went on to say I could email her with additional information or call her office and if she was not available another Case Manager would work with me to resolve my issue.

I responded with an email stating she probably couldn’t reach me because she wasn’t calling the Philippines and also gave her a detailed explanation of my problems and suggested she email me the solutions. I also said I could call her and would call between 6:00 and 6:30 pm her time if she wanted. She apparently ignored my email which is also included below.

So at the appointed time I called the number she gave. Of course she was not there and the person that answered told me they do not work on others Case Manager’s issues, contrary to what her email told me. However the woman told me that in fact my crippled deskjet printer is not designed to work on a network and if I had bothered to dig deep enough into their web pages I could have found that out so there was no need to mention it on the box or in the printer manual. (The strange thing about this is if I go to their web page and put in my printer model and ask for downloads it offers me a patch that will fix certain issues with networking the printer. I guess their programmers don’t know it isn’t suppose to work in a network.) She went on to tell me that she had no idea how to remove HP software registry entries and that was the responsibility for the people that I bought the computer from and I should call them. She then told me if I had an HP computer they would help me with this. While that might be true in this case I doubt if I called HP and told them I needed their assistance to remove left over registry entries from any number of hundreds of thousands of software products they would have any idea what to do and would then probably tell me to talk to the software producer. I can’t prove this since I don’t have an HP computer but I am 99% sure that is the answer I would receive. She then told me she would leave a message to Ms Jen that I had called.

Twenty four hours later I received another email from Ms Jen. She makes no mention of my lengthy email to her or my recent conversation with her cohort. She does doggedly tell me that she has tried calling my several times over the last three days, an outright lie, and was not able to reach me since my phone is not in service. (If she had read my email or got the message from her cohort, she would know to call in the Philippines. She also lied about calling me for three days. As her first email was sent at 2:30 pm 7/13. Her second at 9:25 am 7/15. In my book that amounts to a little more than 1.5 days.

She goes on to lie and tell me again to call her office and if she is not available the Case Manager taking the call will work with me.

I receive calls on my phone all the time from the states so it is very apparent to me that she never tried to call me or she doesn’t know how to use the phone properly. She also either read and ignored my email or doesn’t read her email, I don’t know which is the case. In addition either the person I spoke to lied to me and didn’t pass a message to her or Ms Jen doesn’t check her messages or again she ignored the message.

Either way it appears they are incompetent or playing games; you decide.

I’ve included their original email to me plus my response and her response 1.5 days later. See what you think! (Note: I removed my phone number from the messages.)

Ms. Jen’s first email to me. 2:30 pm 7/13/09

Hello,

My name is Jen Tyler and I am a Case Manager on the Hewlett Packard US TCO Escalations team responding to your request to speak to someone concerning your recent Hewlett Packard support event.  I just tried calling the phone number listed in your customer record (xxx) xxx-xxxx and unfortunately was unable to reach you.  I will make several additional attempts to contact you via phone over the next 3 days.

Please feel free to respond to this message to provide a better contact number, to let me know the best time to reach you, or to provide additional information about your issue.  Please do not change the subject in the subject line so I can locate your e-mail quickly.

You may call me at 1-877-917-4380 Extension # 95.  You may ask for me by name, if I am not available, the Case Manager taking your call will work with you to resolve your issue.

Our office hours are Monday - Friday 7:00 AM – 10:00 PM Central time.

Please keep this message as a reference so you will know how to reach us as we work to resolve your case.

Your case # is:7501021445

Thank You,

Jen
Case Manager
HP US TCO Escalations Team
<text deleted>

My return email to her 6:20 pm 7/13/09

Jen,

I am in the
Philippines so you have to call overseas. Unfortunately in the past I was told by HP to call and when I did was told they didn't want to talk to me because I was an American living in the Philippines and to contact the Philippine web site. I did that and a person that claimed to be an engineer of some sort called but told me your scanjet 2560 is not designed to work on a network so any network problems would have to be addressed to Microsoft. When I asked him how I could remove the left over registry entries he told me that was a Microsoft problem also and to call them.

When I asked him how to get my scanjet 2400 to work he said that wasn't his department. When I asked why he called he hung up.

Here is my problem now. I have a scanjet 2400 that worked fine. I bought a deskjet 2560. Initially the software worked but when I installed what was said to be a required update, recommended by your updater, the solution center would no longer start. When I tried to use the printer from another computer on my network it would not work.

Your technicians took me through a number of steps including using a set of four uninstall bats to remove the software. However none of the steps removed the registry entries and left files on the C: drive. But the steps did cause the scanjet 2400 to stop working.

Now when I try to install the software for the deskjet it tells me a newer version is already installed and aborts; maybe because of the newer driver support told me to download and install see discussion below on fixing the network print problem. When I try to install the software for the scanjet it tells me it is already installed. However if I try to uninstall the program aborts. When I try to scan I get a message that programs are missing and to reinstall but there is no reinstall option.

So I assume the issue is your software is looking at entries in the registry and that is causing it to fail. I looked at the registry and there are hundreds of entries that appear to be yours. Some are pretty obvious but some I'm not sure about. Requests to your support staff to identify the entries is ignored as most eventually are.

I assume if I can clean out the HP entries in my registry the scanjet software can be reinstalled and it will work again. I also assume the registry entries are the cause for the deskjet issues as well or maybe it is due to the newer printer driver. If that is true then what I need is either a program from you that will remove the registry entries for those two items or a list of entries to manually remove and or to remove the newer printer driver or maybe both.

If not maybe you can offer another solution.

To the other problem of the deskjet not working on a network.

When I attempt to print from a networked computer a "document" appears on the deskjet printer, it goes from 0 to 1, and then after a few seconds goes back to 0. At the same time the deskjet printer "documents" on the computer where the printer is installed by USB goes from 0 to 1. However nothing happens and after a while it just appears to lock up as I can't access it. Then it disappears from the printer list. To recover it I have to reboot. However printing from the computer where the printer is installed works fine.

You support staff took me through a number of steps to resolve the problem. First they had me uninstall the printer and driver and reinstall with a later driver from your web page but it didn't change the problem. Then they had me go through steps to fix the spooler saying it was a problem with the spooler. That didn't fix the problem either but the spooler still worked if the print job came from the same computer where the printer was installed. Next they asked me to turn off the print spooler and try printing across the network and it worked. So they told me my spooler is corrupt and to contact Microsoft. The problem with that conclusion to me is if it was corrupt it wouldn't work at all. Am I wrong in that assumption?

So that's where I am. Are you sure you will work with me since I live in the
Philippines?

I am 11 hours ahead of you time wise. If you decide to work with me it might be easier to provide instructions in writing via email but if you want I can call around 6:00 or 6:30 pm your time tomorrow, Tuesday.

Jim
Naga City, Bicol

Ms. Jen’s follow-up email after my email and phone call 9:25 am 7/15/09

Hello,

My name is Jen Tyler and I am a Case Manager on the Hewlett Packard US TCO Escalations team responding to your request to speak to someone concerning your recent Hewlett Packard support event.  I have tried calling the phone numbers listed in your customer record xxx-xxx-xxx and <text deleted> several times over the past 3 days and unfortunately was unable to reach you as they both show as not in service.

If you still want to speak to someone in HP concerning your recent support issue, please feel free to respond to this message to provide a better contact number, to let me know the best time to reach you, or to provide additional information about your issue.  Please do not change the subject in the subject line so I can locate your e-mail quickly.

You may call me at <text deleted>  You may ask for me by name, if I am not available, the Case Manager taking your call will work with you to resolve your issue.

Our office hours are Monday - Friday 7:00 AM – 10:00 PM Central time.

Your case # is:7501021445

Thank You,

Jen
Case Manager
HP US TCO Escalations Team
<text deleted>

Very strange? Or is this the normal level of service to be expected from these people?

Message Edited by WendyM on 07-15-2009 08:17 PM
HP Recommended

To add to this sad saga of lack of support or resonable knowledge of the simple software they dump on your computer.

I purchased a registry cleaner for $40 which removed more than 300 pieces of garbage that the HP programmers left on my and your computer and support has no clue how to remove. Apparently this trash was what the simple install program found that kept it from understanding that the programs were no longer on my computer, at least for the scanner. The printer programs still can't figure out how to install themselves.

Anyway my scanner now works with the standard microsoft software but not the simple HP stuff which the scanner can't find. The HP solution center, I use the term losely, did install this time instead of telling me a lie that is was already installed. However now it appears to be to stupid to find any HP hardware and aborts.

From my scanning of the problem on the internet it appears to be a common problem of HP software for years and it also appears the HP programmers haven't been able to figure out what they did wrong or maybe they really don't care.

At least the scanner works for now, no thanks to HP support.

Jim

HP Recommended

Hi Jim,

Are you using an HP/COMPAQ Computer? And what is your operating system?

Please click on KUDOS if you find my solution helpful.
HP Recommended

Fortunately I do not have an HP computer. Unfortunately I have an HP scanner and printer. My operating system is Win XP SP3.

The issue is HP software that cannot install or uninstall itself and tends to leave hundreds of entries scattered throughout the Registry. After purchasing a registry cleaner I got rid of more than 300 left over entries that HP support knew nothing about.

The scanner software did figure out how to install itself after the registry clean however none of it works. The scanner works using the Microsoft scanner and camera wizard only. The HP solution center cannot figure out how to find either the scanner or printer and simply says there are no HP products attached to the computer and dies of natural causes.

This problem is well know to hundreds, if not thousands, of people that have tried to use HP software however HP support and programmers haven’t figured out what was programmed improperly to cause this. The problem seems to have been around for at least a year without a peep from support.

The printer software still can’t figure out how to install itself even after fixing all the problems that were left in my registry by HP.

I doubt having an HP computer would resolve the issues and probably would only make them worse. Nor do I believe my operating system is at fault. The fault lies in poorly developed software, just look at the thousands of entries across the internet about these problems.  

HP Recommended
How many HP devices are connected to that computer? What is the exact model of the all-in-one printer? Sorry if I have to ask you some questions. I just wanted to make sure that we won't mess up your registry before doing anything...
Please click on KUDOS if you find my solution helpful.
HP Recommended
I have an Officejet 8500, which was working fine, and I tried to install a Scanjet G4050, and had the same problem. could not install, or uninstall, and lots of junk in the registry.  Also same saga with HP support, duh!  I finally used a regcleaner, and deleted everything I could find remotely labeled HP on the drive.  Got an updated scanner driver, installed, and it worked.  Now I am trying to reinstall the 8500, and am having the same problem, ghost pieces of code, and the installer crashes with no message in the middle of the install.  I am trying to decide whether to use the HP 'uninstaller', or if that will make things worse.  The answer may be forget trying to use two HP devices on the same system, since the overlapping code seems to be beyond the ability of HP to manage.
HP Recommended

I have two devices both connected via USB.

The scanner is a scanjet 2400 and the printer, which cannot print on a network is a deskjet D2560. The scanjet software seemed to install but will not operate the scanner, only the microsoft software will work. The solution center aborts with the message "No devices have been detected.

The printer software will not even install. The installer says I have newer software already installed and dies. Maybe because some time ago support told me to download and install just the driver from the web page.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.