Trouble installing HP LaserJet 4m, Window 7 (523 Views)
Honor Student
k9search
Message 1 of 3 (523 Views)

Trouble installing HP LaserJet 4m, Window 7

Hi,

I have a new Windows 7 computer and a trusty old HP LaserJet 4m.  I have attached my LaserJet 4m to my computer with a parallel to USB cable.  I have used "Devices and Printers" to "Add a Printer" .   I found the HP LaserJet 4m printer driver (using the Windows Update) button and proceeded.   The printer device driver seemingly installs correctly, but I get an error when trying to print the test page.  

I found a document about installing LaserJet printers on Windows 7 that says I need to be able to see IEEE 1284.4 entries in my Device Manager in order for the printer to work?  (see: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=...)

My Device Manager does NOT have said IEEE 1284.4 entries, and I don't know whether this is my problem, or something else...

FYI, the W7 OS never seems to recognize the hardware is even there...no "new hardware detected" when plugging in to the USB etc.

I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Honor Student
k9search
Message 2 of 3 (510 Views)

Re: Trouble installing HP LaserJet 4m, Window 7

Yeah!   I figured it out.   When adding the printer using "Add Printer"  I needed to use USB001 (Virtual Printer Port for USB) rather than the default (LPT1: Printer Port)   Test page to printer worked.

Honor Student
jsanderso
Message 3 of 3 (449 Views)

Re: Trouble installing HP LaserJet 4m, Window 7

I have gotten past this point. My Laserjet 4M will print, but not from anything other than the manual feed tray, despite my specifying otherwise. What am I missing?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation