01-28-2010 11:03 AM
I have a new Windows 7 computer and a trusty old HP LaserJet 4m. I have attached my LaserJet 4m to my computer with a parallel to USB cable. I have used "Devices and Printers" to "Add a Printer" . I found the HP LaserJet 4m printer driver (using the Windows Update) button and proceeded. The printer device driver seemingly installs correctly, but I get an error when trying to print the test page.
I found a document about installing LaserJet printers on Windows 7 that says I need to be able to see IEEE 1284.4 entries in my Device Manager in order for the printer to work? (see: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/D
My Device Manager does NOT have said IEEE 1284.4 entries, and I don't know whether this is my problem, or something else...
FYI, the W7 OS never seems to recognize the hardware is even there...no "new hardware detected" when plugging in to the USB etc.
I would really appreciate any help.
01-28-2010 02:23 PM
Yeah! I figured it out. When adding the printer using "Add Printer" I needed to use USB001 (Virtual Printer Port for USB) rather than the default (LPT1: Printer Port) Test page to printer worked.
03-01-2010 08:03 PM
I have gotten past this point. My Laserjet 4M will print, but not from anything other than the manual feed tray, despite my specifying otherwise. What am I missing?
- HP Printers - Installing Your Printer Driver Using the Windows Built-in Solution
- Download and Install Your Windows HP Printer Driver and Software for a USB Cable Connection
- HP Printers - Installing a Mac Printer Driver Using Apple Software Update
- HP Printers - Download and Install a Mac HP Printer Driver and Software
- HP LaserJet Pro Printers and Multifunction Printers - HP Smart Install Discontinuation