Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

HP Officejet Pro 8600 e-All-in-One Printer - N911a

Product #CM749A

Serial #{Removed for privacy}

FPU #CM749-64001

Windows 7 Home Premium

Wireless connection

Duplex-printing accessory has been installed properly

I am printing a newsletter in landscape on legal size paper, with two pages of the newsletter on each side of the paper. When I set the printer to automatically two-side print and also check "Booklet" (so the newsletter pages come out properly when it is folded), I only get printing on one side of page. How can I correct this to print two-sided?

Thank you,

Sheldon Cohen

{Personal Information Removed}

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello gpshelly

After looking into it, the Officejet 8600 does not support duplex printing with Legal size paper. As you have noticed, it will print to a single side. This hold true with booklet printing off or on. Some laserjets, like the one you have, support duplexing Legal paper.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hello gpshelly

What application are you printing from and does both pages get printed to the same side?

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your attention to my problem.

I am printing from WordPerfectx5(15.0.0.512).

The printer produces  Landscape double page on one side (as it should) but no printing on the other side. There should be a Landscape double page on each side of the legal size paper.

As additional info: when I print the same file on legal size paper with my Laserjet 1320, using the same automatic two-sided print with "Booklet" checked settings that I use with the 8600, the newsletter prints out two-sided perfectly and can be folded into a newsletter with all the pages in correct order. I want to add color to the newsletter, so I would prefer to use the Officejet Pro 8600 to print the newsletter.

HP Recommended

Hello gpshelly

How many pages are you printing? I just printed 4 pages (landscape) using duplex (along short edge) and the booklet option checked. The 4 pages took up a single sheet of paper. Pages 1 and 4 are on one side and pages 2 and 3 are on the other. The only differences are I used letter size paper and Word 2010.

HP Recommended

My newsletter has 20 pages. Two Landscape pages per side of legal size paper, so 5 pieces of paper per newsletter.

Paper #1 - Pages #1 & 20 on one side and #2 & 19 on the other side

Paper #2 - Pages #3 & 18 on one side and #4 & 17 on the other side

etc.

The file is set up pages #1,2,3,4,5, etc. in Landscape. When printed on the 1320, with automatic two-sided printing in "booklet" requested, the pages are printed correctly. so each 5 pieces of paper, when folded comes out as a newsletter with all the pages in correct numerical order. With the same settings on the 8600, there is only printing on one side of the page, thus getting 10 pages, with, however, the "booklet" correct.

Paper #1 - Pages #1 & 20 on one side and blank on the other side

Paper #2 - Pages #2 & 19 one one side and blank on the other side

etc. through the 10 pages.

HP Recommended

Hello gpshelly

Thanks for the information it really helps explain the issue. I will look into this further and get back as soon as possible.

HP Recommended

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hello gpshelly

After looking into it, the Officejet 8600 does not support duplex printing with Legal size paper. As you have noticed, it will print to a single side. This hold true with booklet printing off or on. Some laserjets, like the one you have, support duplexing Legal paper.

HP Recommended

Thank you for finding the answer to a problem that became personally very frustrating.

I bought the machine primarily to automatically two-side print on legal size paper, so I am not happy with the printer. After receiving your answer, I searched and found a not easily found link that informed me legal size paper is not compatible with two-sided printing.

HP Recommended

Hello gpshelly

Glad I could be of assistance. If you ever need help choosing a printer for a feature like Legal duplexing you could call the General Sale Inquiry line. You can find it at the link below.

HP Phone Assistance

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.