Question

Student
Mike351
Message 1 of 3 (6,878 Views)

USB Printing Support - Where is the driver?

I am attempting to install a Laserjet 1022 on a Dell Dimension 2400. I downloaded the full apllication (385MB) from the HP site. When I run the install and get to the point where it prompts to plug in the USB cable, the printer is recognized then the computer prompts for the file location from which to load "USB Printing Support". I tried to let Windows XP SP2 search for the driver - no luck. Then I ran it again and told it to search the directory where the full application was installed - also no luck.

I then thought it might be the computer, so I downloaded the Chipset driver from Dell and reinstalled it - no luck. Finally I deleted all the USB devices from the device manager and rebooted the computer - no luck. 

Then I made the mistake of trying to call Dell. After an hour of misery, and 6 different people, I was told that the USB Printing Support driver was provided by the printer manufacturer. 

Where can I get this driver? Any help will be signficantly appreciated.

Student
PCUseA
Message 2 of 3 (5,498 Views)

Re: USB Printing Support - Where is the driver?

Assuming Windows, The issue relates to the drivers being not signed (or an out of date signature)

Assuming Windows XP.

Right-Click My Computer=> Properties=>Hardware Tab =>Device manager

Right Click USB Printer Support=>update driver

Select install from a list or specific location

Click Next

Select Don't Search. I will Choose the driver to install

Click Next

Now you should see your printer ie Laserjet 1022 in the list. It wont have a tick next to it

Choose to use that and not the usb printing support.

Click next, It might decide to install Fax, scan etc depending on the model

Click Finish

Done

For Vista and 7 the process is simular but I beleive there are a few more steps (ie click yes to the admin prompt because MS think we are all idiots)

Hope this works for you:smileyvery-happy:

Tutor
baire1265
Message 3 of 3 (5,490 Views)

Re: USB Printing Support - Where is the driver?

Any chance this will fix the cursed "fatal erro" when trying to install a c7280 via USB?  I've tried everything else suggested on here and am getting desperate.  Garbage men are getting ready to get a real nice multi-function printer!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation